DRL with eBay LEDs

What does MY12 mean? Produced in 2012?

Not necessarily- it refers to the 'specification' year. Some time near mid-year they tend to tweak things a bit (usually by keeping the price the same but removing kit :)) so a MY12 car will have been built from mid year-ish to today. MY13 cars will start being built will be some time later this year (week 20 or so if memory serves me) and so on.

Enter your VIN into http://igorweb.org/vindec/ and it will decode it and tell you the model year. Mine, for example reads:

Škoda Superb II Combi Comfort/Ambition/Elegance 2.0 TDI 125kw

model year 2012, production number ******

7x airbag, production plant Kvasiny (CZ)

The entered VIN is valid!

Gizmo my friend I think we may have cracked it!!!

Fitted them tonight. Before going to rugby and got canbus errors when I switched the ignition on. Damn I thought , so left it.

Went back in house to. Change for match, got in car and started car - this time only left hand error.

Stopped for diesel so decided to take left bulb out, blew in fitting and refitted but spun it round first. Started car and hey presto, no errors.

Fingers crossed it "might" be working, let's see how it goes over the weekend.

I will keep you all updated.

Well bit of a mixed weekend to be honest.

Went out Saturday and had left warning only, switched DRLs off, restarted car and drove off. Got about 5-10 mins into journey so switched DRLs back on at some traffic lights - NO ERRORS. Went out in car later that night, had both left and right hand errors.

Sunday - out and about, sometimes no errors, sometimes just left hand error. No real pattern, I think it is the light fitting rather than the bulb as I've swapped over and still get left hand errors.

Yesterday and today, no errors at all.

I have also bought and installed the LED bubls from the first message and, at least currently, get no errors. My car is a Combi from last September (2012).

Doesn't it look cheap when the corner light turns on with the no-led fog light? would it be legal to replace it too with a led one?

Well bit of a mixed weekend to be honest.

Went out Saturday and had left warning only, switched DRLs off, restarted car and drove off. Got about 5-10 mins into journey so switched DRLs back on at some traffic lights - NO ERRORS. Went out in car later that night, had both left and right hand errors.

Sunday - out and about, sometimes no errors, sometimes just left hand error. No real pattern, I think it is the light fitting rather than the bulb as I've swapped over and still get left hand errors.

Yesterday and today, no errors at all.

hows the bulbs going coops me duck??

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry missed this.

Well seems the eurphoria is short lived :wall: over the past couple of weeks have had nothing but errors, with no pattern to them at all.

Most of the time it is the left hand bulb, but then sometimes nothing, then both, then nothing, then left. :@

Thought it may have been something to do with the load when the system starts up, so tried running with the auto lights off - didn't work either. Sometimes I disable them and flick them on late into the journey which to be honest does work sometimes.

At present, I've left the LEDs in but have the DRLs switched off. Really wanted a nice crisp look (against the Candy White) but appears my car doesn't want to play ball.

For reference, I've tried:

• Set from Ultraleds (worked with no errors for months, until one gave up the ghost, no longer available)
  • Set from eBay (as per "No Waiting" but constant bulb errors)
  • Set of non-LED ones from MTEC - didn't like the look

Time to give up me thinks - sets available at reduced price is anyone is interested to buy off me!!!!

Have installed those UCP ones from eBay (from the beginning of this thread).

Over the weekend and so far no probelms whatsoever...

MY12/Dec11

Edited by Jannesm

...Set from eBay (as per "No Waiting" but constant bulb errors)...
With others reporting success, I wonder if you have received a faulty or miss-picked pair.

Are you able to stick a multimeter across them to measure their resistance?

With others reporting success, I wonder if you have received a faulty or miss-picked pair.

Are you able to stick a multimeter across them to measure their resistance?

I may be able to secure the usage of one from my dad but not until weekend. What should I be looking for? Do I need more power draw (inc wattage)?

I may try and get them swapped out for a new set from the seller.

It may be worth including the month and year your Superb was built as some people with MY10 / MY11 cars have reported issues with errors. (my November 2010 built MY11 has no such issues)

In future once the grill has been removed you can remove the whole light unit by pressing just one locating clip (shown in the handbook) :thumbup:

It's worthwhile noting this from Gizmo as my MY2011 SE Plus will not entertain ANY of the CANBUS friendly LED's, and trust me I have tried (A set from every one listed in the original thread), every type I have fitted has resulted in the bulb error. I had some spare resistors lying around from a job on one of my bikes, popped those on and .... no bulb warning.

^^ Fluff, was this easy to do? Don't want to but would consider fitting resistors if necc.

Presumably you need to fit a particular resistor interms of rating??

• 2 weeks later...

I have the ones from Car mod shop. They have been in the car from around december last year. No errors and mine is a MY12.

But today I realized that one led on each led bulb is failing and flickers. So I placed an order today on the ones that the OP had bought. I can give some feedback when I get them.

I think leds in general are bad when it comes to quality. I have bought both cheap and expensive ones for parking lights, number plate etc on my cars. There are few that seems to last longer then half a year before some leds flickers or the whole bulb dies. When I buy leds for the price like the OP I expect them to last longer than 6 months...

Skickat från min LT26i via Tapatalk 2

Following on from this thread and the fact that ultraleds.co.uk no longer supply white P21W canbus compatible replacements, I decided to try these from eBay -

led%20p21w.jpg

A quick test before fitted showed they had internal rectifiers so were not polarity dependant :thumbup:

Fitting took all of 10mins, if that. Remove panel from bottom grill, insert arm, feel for connector, quarter turn and remove. Reassembly is the reverse - nearside (left-hand) unit is easiest to fit, as there is less space behind the offside (right-hand) unit.

Result, with no lamp errors showing on the dash-

drl.jpg

Nearside is the LED! As can be seen it's much whiter than the standard lamp (even makes the fluorescent light in the garage look yellow) :thumbup:

After reading the above post I sent off for a pair. Fitted them yesterday and they worked first time.

Easier to remove the access panels and unclip the light units 10 minutes and all done. :hi:

Superb Estate 170 dsg with extras Model year 2012

Very nice, they are the same ones I have on my reverse

They do give error on the DRL and reverse on my Octavia.

Try one on your reverse to test it out. Got the feeling you won´t take it out if no error :giggle:

Is that £20 for a pair? They may look nice but I hink I will keep my £20 or even £40!

Just seen the advert that it is for a pair.

Edited by Danny 57

I ordered these lamps on Thursday last week, they arrived on Saturday morning. First thing to say that the company selling these is very efficient. I fitted them on Saturday afternoon with no issues whatsoever. My car is a 2012 green line elegance superb. Interior lights next I think.

I ordered these lamps on Thursday last week, they arrived on Saturday morning. First thing to say that the company selling these is very efficient. I fitted them on Saturday afternoon with no issues whatsoever. My car is a 2012 green line elegance superb. Interior lights next I think.

Did you order from Ultimate Car Parts? I got the wrong bulbs! They sent 18 SMD bulbs instead that has 3 LEDs forwarding and I wanted the 6 LEDs. I called them and the reason was that they hadnt got the 21 SMD in stock. And they didnt know when they will get them again. Really disturbing! Theyre not exactly cheap either! :sweat:

Edited by Dj Mastergrind

Did you order from Ultimate Car Parts? I got the wrong bulbs! They sent 18 SMD bulbs instead that has 3 LEDs forwarding and I wanted the 6 LEDs. I called them and the reason was that they hadnt got the 21 SMD in stock. And they didnt know when they will get them again. Really disturbing! Theyre not exactly cheap either! :sweat:

I got the same - ordered them on Monday, arrived yesterday and they're the 18 SMD version - have complained as clearly not what I ordered, and they're also £17 (18 SMD) vs £19 (21 SMD)! Guess it's buyer beware as their ebay page says "More than 10 available" which is clearly not true.....

Update: Called Customer Services, and after pretending I got what I ordered, they agreed to refund me £3 as they no longer sell the 21 SMD version - when I challenged their ebay page saying "More than 10 available" he gave me some BS about it being an old ebay entry which they were having problems removing, but they were trying to get the 21 SMD bulbs back in stock.....

All I need now is the car to put them in .... only 2 weeks to wait now :)

Edited by RussD

As un update....I also bought the 21's from them on ebay...they arrived in short order...brilliant....and I've fitted them...even better....and as soon as I figurte it out, I'll post before and after...

however....

guess what has turned up!? Yup..you got it...18's.

might be having a word....I believe that this is called misrepresentation and is quite against Trading Standards laws.

Still....look better than the originals! :happy:

EDIT!!

Right....here we go...

Before DRL's

During the operation

After DRL LED implants

And no error messages....yet! :whew:

Think I might take a night-time photo...much more interesting!

Edited by MisterGH
  • Like 1