Stress crack appeared in windscreen....

ecklad

As I was going around a car park yesterday.. Just 'crack' 1/3 way in from the NS .. from the bottom of the screen.. Rang dealer who informed me that Skoda do not replace windscreens in cars over 6 weeks old!!!

Rang Skoda CS.. who basically told me the same... WTF!!!

I fillled in the Auto Express and JD power survey forms giving praise to Skoda etc.....Should'nt have bothered!

No stone hits + anything else at 3-4mph.... Pure and simple stress fracture..

So why should I fork out

As I was going around a car park yesterday.. Just 'crack' 1/3 way in from the NS .. from the bottom of the screen.. Rang dealer who informed me that Skoda do not replace windscreens in cars over 6 weeks old!!!

Rang Skoda CS.. who basically told me the same... WTF!!!

I fillled in the Auto Express and JD power survey forms giving praise to Skoda etc.....Should'nt have bothered!

No stone hits + anything else at 3-4mph.... Pure and simple stress fracture..

So why should I fork out

is it a known problem in the fabia, replacing windscreens often ?!?!

Not that I've heard of! My windscreen has survived 22k miles of my driving and not so much as a stone chip in it! Hmmmm - should I say that or is that tempting fate :rubchin::rofl:

Chris

• Administrators

Ecklad..

It happens...touch wood, as I've never had the need to replace a windscreen in 15 years.

However I know of one 4x4 that's had at least 3 screens in as many years. 6 Weeks is for any structural stresses to settle and show themselves. A sprited drive and maybe somthing else may of started the crack which you were unaware of. The movement at low speed *may* of been just enough (turnig the wheel when stationary par example) to force it's hand if say the sun had been shining and expanded it...

I'm playing devils advocate slighlty here, but on an 03 car it's a case of bad luck not genuine part failure which is what the warranty covers.

• Administrators

Wasn't aware of an issue developing with screens on SCN. Don't frequent lots of boards, no time.

Any links I can read up on?

I agree, components should last, just playing devils advocate but not suggesting they are right ;)

The problem with the vRS's is the G forces that are generated and the ship can begin to break up at intense warp speeds.

Actually I think they are being a bit mean on that one.It is part and parcel of the car and should be done for free or give you the

Wasn't aware of an issue developing with screens on SCN. Don't frequent lots of boards' date=' no time.

Any links I can read up on?

I agree, components should last, just playing devils advocate but not suggesting they are right ;)[/quote']

Just go on to Seatcupra.net and do a search for windscreen cracks...

Plenty of examples...

There is a few on here...

cheers

Dazz

In this case there is NO stone chip damage anywhere on near the crack.

basically just went crack.. If this is similar to what afflicting the guys over on SCN then it is an issue... I never had anything like this on the 1999 Passat I ran....

The warranty covers defects or faults for 3 years and 60K miles...

The windscreen does not wear out like brakes. All components should last at

least as long as the warranty...!

The dealer has NOT even looked at it and the refusal is there..

I might take it to another local dealer to see if they have a different attitude.

I believe that the windscreen should be examined to see if there is any pre-existing damage on the edge of the windscreen where the crack started, or evidence of any other reason why a crack should have started there. If there is then I would argue that it should be replaced under warranty. But if the car has any mods which might induce body flexing, or transfer extra loads into the bodyshell, then the case is much weaker.

I believe that the windscreen should be examined to see if there is any pre-existing damage on the edge of the windscreen where the crack started, or evidence of any other reason why a crack should have started there. If there is then I would argue that it should be replaced under warranty. But if the car has any mods which might induce body flexing, or transfer extra loads into the bodyshell, then the case is much weaker.

Car is running on standard suspension....

I hate these 'time/mileage' limits that are imposed on the warranty..

When you buy a new car you believe that any issues beyond reasonable

will be covered.. It is obviously not the case!

All components on a new car SHOULD last a certain time.. even brakes...

There should be a 1 year warranty on all components including tyres..

If there is an issue with brakes/tyres then a % can be claimed back for

fair usage...

If you bought from aftermarket sources that is whats provided why not through the manufacturer..???

Dazz

make a complaint with CS and ask with trading standards and the like, inform CS that you are doing this and that you are extremely unhappy with both them and their attitude. i bought a brand new 106 a few years ago and within months the top hinge on the drivers door came away from the body leaving the door unusable. they wanted me to use the passenger door temporarily and wait 3 weeks! took a few phone calls argueing and a few calls to TS to sort it out, when they finally agreed to do it and gave me a "coutesy" car they handed me a bill for insurance for the car. i hate big companies

Update...

I took it to another dealer .. The service manager said no problems

raised a request with skoda warranty stating 'stress fracture'..

He also said not one has been refused...

Apparently he's seen quite a few with this type of fault....

Its not a mileage or age thing its just when the windscreen can't

take it any more...

Strange..

cheers

Dazz

I await Monday and hopefull go ahead

BTW always insure your screen - I asked the guy at RAC Windscreens how much it would have been if I didn't have it insured and the retail price of a screen for a Fabia is

Weve got 2 Octys & had 4 screens in 12 months (50000 miles). All cracked from the edge & with all of them it was caused by a stone or similar hitting the screen. Wwe now check screens regularly & get any chips repaired as this is free on our Insurances. Its 18 months since the last screen went. (both will probably now break as Ive said this )