Best way to carry bikes on estate

When I get the new estate, I'm hoping we'll take the bikes out occasionally. What's the best method for carrying bikes?

Roof mounted?

Tailgate Rack?

Towbar mounted rack?

Obviously with the new car I'll be absolutely paranoid about scratching it so getting bikes up on the roof might be a bit concerning. I do seem to recall that VW had some kind of hydraulic lever thingy for getting bikes up on the roof.

If I can get it in the back, then that's where it goes, but you said bikes! When we take out all ours I usually prefer roof mounted, as you can still open/use the boot, and four bikes on a tow hitch ads weight and length well behind the rear axel!

Not all universal systems suit all types of frames, so be clear about the kind of bikes you carry. Some carbon frames don't like clamps on the down tubes, and some gutter type cycle racks have a limit on MTB tire size. Some full suspension MTB frames have very unusual geometry and therefore can be a challenge!

If in doubt try talking to a local bike shop about what works with your bikes.

My story.

They started in the boot, front wheel off seat split folded down. All OK except a faff with the bikes (esp with a 20mm thru-axle and long forks) and marked the headlining.

So...

Onto the roof. Better, but one bike and me going to Glentress was worse economy than me, three mates, four kayaks on the roof and weekends worth of kit in the boot.

So...

Towbar Mounted. Quick and easy, negligble effect on economy, leaves the roof clear for other toys or a roof box when with the family (the three mates and four kayaks scenario has faded to a distant memory pretty quickly......).

38765_451697502353_544677353_6224947_5418365_n.jpg

Seriously. Probably depends how often you're at it. The more you you carry bikes on a regular basis the closer you get to going down the towbar route whether you like it or not!

Niall

Get some Prorack Whispbars and bike carriers, I use Halfords professional (Thule). The Prorack bars are very quite , no wind noise.

IMG_2298a-1.jpg?t=1332870931

Combination of roof and towball mounted; 1 up top, 3 on the back.

Be wary of the weight issue if hanging off the back end. I resorted to fitting 'MAD Helper Springs' as the back end of the Octy Est. is a bit 'soft' if you run a combination of loaded boot + bikes.

Got.a Thule towbar mounted on mine. Been to Ireland with three bikes on board and steady as a rock. Extra expense with towbar but I needed one for trailer anyway. It will tip to gain acess to the boot ( and the dog).

Hmm, I like the sound of towbar mounted but haven't spec'd a factory-fit towbar - suppose I could get the dealer to do it when the car arrives.

No need to worry about full suspension MTB's - I'm getting a hybrid (I'm not kidding myself about needing a full MTB now) and my wife has a regular unsprung MTB.

Also, when we go away with the bikes, we're likely to have baby on the back seat and dog in the back (no chance of bikes in there) so perhaps the lack of access to the back door would make roof-mount the more viable option.

Is there a tow-bar mount that still gives easy access to the back door? ** Oops - just realised the previous post said the Thule tow-bar mount will tip for boot access**

I use a Thule 9708 Hang-On tow bar mounted carrier that I picked up for about £90 - works great and can be folded away when not needed or folded down for access to the boot (not with 4 bikes on though - far too heavy!)

I'm a fan of Atera Giro cycle racks - well thought out to be secure, but also easy to load and unload without any risk of dropping the bike. The bike is supported immediately when loaded then clamping and locking is a one-hand operation. Very slick.

This pic is dated - I now have a Scout and aerobarss, but I kept the carriers.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/127968-cycle-carrier-roofrack-for-estate/

I use a hinging type tow bar mounted cycle rack.The increase in fuel consumption is not negligible- as said above.

At least 10mpg poorer when cruising at motorway/autobahn/autoroute speeds.

I use a hinging type tow bar mounted cycle rack.The increase in fuel consumption is not negligible- as said above.

At least 10mpg poorer when cruising at motorway/autobahn/autoroute speeds.

:o Jeepers, that's a massive difference........

This picture was pre-MAD Helper Springs/XL tyres.

270720111989b.jpg

Carrier is a Thule Euroclassic G5 909 with the extra carrier, (Bike #4 now too big hence now configured for 3 on rear and 1 up top), which tilts to give access to the boot.

I've used all three types in the past, & all have advantages/disadvantages;

Roof;

- can be harder to place bikes (particularly the heavier MTBs)

- As mentioned, MPG is affected

- Some car-parks are out of bounds

- Boot access is unaffected

- No towbar/lighting board required

- If bikes muddy, the roof gets plastered. Some soil types can be affect paintwork (acidity/alkilinity)

- Stones, from frame/tyres. get jammed in tailgate surround & can damage the rubber-seal (found this out in the past with Cyclo-Cross bikes)

Tail-Gate;

- Poor access

- Restricted visibility

Tow-Bar;

- Most aerodynamic

- Requires lighting board/number-plate, just plain common sense, even if lights are still visible (I'd also add forward facing marker-lights to the rack if feasible)

- Reversing needs more care

- Bikes written off, it you're 'rear-ended'

- Best point to cope with weight (taking allowed Nose-weight into consideration)

Also; those of you with 4x4s with rear-mounted spares, if you get one that utilises the mounting bracket, you're putting lots more strain on the door-hinges/door-frame (they will wear outmore rapidly)

Overall, I'd got for a tow-bar mounted one, it was the one I was happiest with

Edited by Richard A Thackeray

Combination of roof and towball mounted; 1 up top, 3 on the back.

Be wary of the weight issue if hanging off the back end. I resorted to fitting 'MAD Helper Springs' as the back end of the Octy Est. is a bit 'soft' if you run a combination of loaded boot + bikes.

How easy are they to fit?

How easy are they to fit?

I must confess I whimped out and paid my Skoda dealer £80 (1hr labour + VAT) to do the job. It did however have the benefit of my insurer being happy not to class it as a modification and sting me for a few extra £ on my premium given the dealer were happy to fit them.

A search on this site will turn up a thread on the subject but they're not too tricky if you're mechanically minded. (evidently)

Thule pro rides on the roof.

6143508414_f889869d90_z.jpg

Did you pinch that bike from the 1920s Rob? That's actually pretty cool as bikes go I reckon although wouldn't of been much use on the ride I have just got back from :rofl:

Ha ha! Yes, that's Mary Poppins personal bicycle (swmbo's pashley princess) - looks lovely if you like that sort of retro thing but a horrible machine to ride. My marin is on the other side just out if sight.

Lee - the bbs look much nicer than the pics, honest! but yes, the neptunes will go back on at some point, don't worry...

:)

Ha ha! Yes, that's Mary Poppins personal bicycle (swmbo's pashley princess) - looks lovely if you like that sort of retro thing but a horrible machine to ride. My marin is on the other side just out if sight.

Disappointed to hear it's not yours Rob, it pairs so well with the vRS. Love what it's called too!