Rising oil level

Dealership are almost positive the car had been overfilled with oil as they took a sample from what was drained and no diesel could be seen. Iv been told to keep an eye on it though.

Noticed how the engine note has changed though, before (overfilled) it had a lower note to it and now at the correct level it has quietened down abit, someone from DM Keith is going to get an ear full!

too many cooks and all that, but I would like to know how they tested the oil they drained was it taken via dipstick shaft and if so was it from bottom of sum middle or top the different oils would after a good amount of time separate and you could draw from the wrong level. IMO should be drained fully and a sight glass used after its left to sit as a old fashioned but logical method of checking. Surly DM Keiths should be bricking it either they have over filled or messed up injector refit either way they should be happy to pay for other dealers to do a full oil/filter change and flush pennies to them! You are the customer, you have the rights, you have paid your cash and YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED! Leave them in no doubt.

Contacting Trading standards and Citizens Advice will help put you in the picture of your specific legal rights in a situation like this too and generally when you quote something they have told you or mention the fact you have been in consultation with them, will put the fear of God into most businesses. Contacting SUK too about dealers overfilling your oil too as being noted on your cars info incase you can try and use it in future as a contributing factor to a future problem!

Fingers crossed, touch wood and all that good luck.

ps get some used engine oil yourself and fire in some diesel see if you can "see" it lolol I bet you wont :D brand new unused oil and diesel maybe but if its blackened both oils will stain could be very hard to see.

Thanks Fubar, i know the diesel and oil will mix quite well but wouldt there be a distinct smell of fuel?

Im going to leave it a week or two so i can monitor the oil, if it stays the same level or decreases i know that it was over filled or if it starts filling up again then we have another problem but like you said either way some spanner monkey has not got a clue what he/she is doing.

Thanks Fubar, i know the diesel and oil will mix quite well but wouldt there be a distinct smell of fuel?

Im going to leave it a week or two so i can monitor the oil, if it stays the same level or decreases i know that it was over filled or if it starts filling up again then we have another problem but like you said either way some spanner monkey has not got a clue what he/she is doing.

Not as obvious a smell difference as petrol in oil would give and as its only up a little bit would be heavily diluted by oil still.

Its been to the dealers and they have drained out the excess and are pretty sure it had been over filled but told me to keep an eye on it for the next 1,000 miles

Iv changed oil countless times and iv never managed to overfill it, the dipstick gives a clear reading i think and having an engine with too much oil can cause as many problems as running it low on oil. Its not rocket science and its better to be safe then sorry

My oil level rose inbetween services so no chance of it being over filled.

It can and is happening - at least to me.

Hopefully the latest attempt to fix it has worked...

A good test is to get a coffee filter paper and put a small amount of the oil on it.

You'll get a single or multiple bands depending on wether it's just oil or oil plus something else.

Hmm that sounds interesting, never heard that before

if the oil is changed properly, it should be measured out to the correct quantity as it is filled. I can't see any excuse for any overfilling.

When I do my own oil changes, I let the old oil drain for a good 15-20 minutes, and then use an old Pyrex jug to make sure the right amount is put in. (And no, I keep the jug for the next oil change, I don't wash it out and return it to the kitchen before SWMBO notices!)

MIke

Yeah but dealers don't drain the oil they pump it out the top, could be half a litre or more left around the engine.

Yeah but dealers don't drain the oil they pump it out the top, could be half a litre or more left around the engine.

That happened to me once :( National in Dumfries scum bag lying piece of crap. I stopped off as I was early for a ferry and they had the cheap oil and filter deal my poor old 406 I went to a cafe had a sandwich went back carried on journey got to a hill once back home and hadnt been over 2000rpm it started chugging hard! well high on dip stick had to buy another filter and drain it on street at home took out 6.5 litres! Called them and he fobbed me off told me there was hardly any oil in it .... (maybe thats what you thought after only draining half of it you retard!) then told me 406's dip sticks are not accurate ...... and that they are supervised and sign off on each others work. Then ended with WTF do you want me to do about it? Very lucky the good old HDi survived 300 miles and still going strong 150K later, and still in the family. Would love to have been a bad person and found his car and necked it to the filler cap with my mixed oil I drained, that would have been SWEET!

In about half the dealer services I've had in the past, mostly on company cars (VW, Audi, Volvo), they have overfilled the oil.

(The Audi 90 20V I had used oil at a staggering rate (half a litre per tankfull of petrol) for the first 40 - 50,000 miles, then eased off to about half a litre per 1,000 miles. My Octavia has used about a litre and a half in 10,000 miles. So an overfill that doesn't threaten to push oil through the cat, or in extremis get pumped by the pistons, maybe isn't such a bad thing. :giggle: )

Update:

Been two weeks of something like that since the excess oil was drained from the car and iv done about 500miles. Checked it yesterday morning and it was back over the max line, not as high as it was the first time i spotted it but still high. I rung the dealership and he remembered who i was but could not remember which mechanic did the work, as i was going to ask where did he fill it up to (did he make doubly sure it was bang on the max line, or was it just above) He has asked if he can have the car for the full day so im going to go ahead and book it in.

I must say there was a strong aroma of diesel, the car had been sat overnight and i had not started it prior.

Since buying the Octy i have been massively impressed with it, yes it has problems but what every one seems to forget, so does every other manufactured car. Tbh this one has been much more reliable then my Mk4 Golf, which, lets be honest is not a million miles away from 1Z Octy.

when i eventually replace mine, first choice is the FL, thats if nothing else takes my fancy. Iv just started my next car fund with my quitting smoking money. £6 per day soon tots up. Whatever i replace this one with, its only going to be a dirty diesel :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It could be a case of the garage sucking the oil out ( which seems to be the norm these days ) and if its not all out when they refill with the correct amount of litres, too much oil in sump. Which is indeed as bad as too little. The only way to do it properly im view is to drain it via the sump drain. But that's too much hassle for a garage these days.

That is just poor practice. My car will be no doubt due a service soon and i think ill watch the next one being done and if i see the oil being pumped out then i shall raise concern.

It could be a case of the garage sucking the oil out ( which seems to be the norm these days ) and if its not all out when they refill with the correct amount of litres, too much oil in sump. Which is indeed as bad as too little. The only way to do it properly im view is to drain it via the sump drain. But that's too much hassle for a garage these days.

Even if they drain the entire lot out of the sump, there will still be at least 0.5L in the filter housing/cooler etc etc.

When they then pour in the "correct" amount of oil, by the book, it will be in addition to the 0.5L and you'll be over the top mark.

That is just poor practice. My car will be no doubt due a service soon and i think ill watch the next one being done and if i see the oil being pumped out then i shall raise concern.

Actually there are cars out there without sump plugs and boats have had their oil changed this way for years.

It's not bad, just different.

If you need an independent opinion, you can get the oil sampled and get a readout with exactly how much of everything is in it (fuel, soot, original additives etc). I don't know exactly who would do this in the UK, but anyone who maintains heavy machinery, plant and trucks will know.