What annoyed you today whilst driving ?

jonny boy

None of that surprisws me tbh...

The RSA produce one of the best road incident reports going, it's sobering reading though :( The total deaths numbers in the report only being up to 31st July I know of at least 9 road deaths since then in ROI publicly announced so 103 could be right on the money today! Still thankfully lower than 2014 at this point.  

Today I decided to try and keep a running total of the number of people I notice driving using their phones. I counted on my commute alone over 80 (that I noticed)..... That's roughly every 3 vehicle I see someone at that moment is on their phone. But since the police do almost nothing with regards to enforcing it bar the odd 1 day crack down every year or 2, it must be ok along with our over double road death rate compared to the rest of the UK..... Proper peeves me off, you have more chance of winning the lotto than getting caught by the police on your phone here I'd bet!

Think that number sounds about right judging by my travels from Dundonald to Millisle today...

Speaking of which the young girl in a Hyundai shopping trolley behind me on that trip annoyed me... Obviously wanting me to go faster and exceeds the limits on roads I wasn't familiar with by the lack of distance between she maintained between me an her... I reckon I could even see the detail on her earrings she was that close...

• Like 1

Yeah its a good bit lower thankfully. Its when you see the stats like about seatbelts you have think... what are people doing and thinking when they get into their cars... when you then hear what people have seen while driving - people eating cereal, reading newspapers... make up... shaving!!! And then wonder why thdes so many rear end shunts in heavy traffic on the main routes into dublin every week..

Think that number sounds about right judging by my travels from Dundonald to Millisle today...

Speaking of which the young girl in a Hyundai shopping trolley behind me on that trip annoyed me... Obviously wanting me to go faster and exceeds the limits on roads I wasn't familiar with by the lack of distance between she maintained between me an her... I reckon I could even see the detail on her earrings she was that close...

Pretty standard, but you are in the tames part of the country. The further west you go the more dramatically the driving standards deteriorate! For tailgating, if you drive below the speed limit by as much as 1mph, it will happen 100% of the time. If you drive bang on the speed limit or 5mph over it will happen 80% of the time. If you do 80mph everywhere it will happen 50% of the time............... If you brake test them, as you seem to have established, it will result in a collision by default due to the retarded proximity. Welcome to Northern Ireland :)  

Yeah its a good bit lower thankfully. Its when you see the stats like about seatbelts you have think... what are people doing and thinking when they get into their cars... when you then hear what people have seen while driving - people eating cereal, reading newspapers... make up... shaving!!! And then wonder why thdes so many rear end shunts in heavy traffic on the main routes into dublin every week..

Traditionally / stereotypically with regards to the seatbelts not being worn, I could loosely (with nothing firm to back it up) suggest that, the main offenders in this area are commercial drivers. From light commercial vehicles like vans to articulated lorries. Culturally Ireland wide many refuse to wear one for a variety of reasoning. In lorries with crap roads and air seats travelling on the limiter everywhere it can be rather painful etc. Plus from the days when the regulation came into force, these drivers tend to be undetectable due to higher seating position, so it was 100% down to the driver to choose to obey rather than out of fear of prosecution. I used to run into and out of Dublin port in artics a lot and they all have their own wee ways of knowing better it seems. 

Pretty standard, but you are in the tames part of the country. The further west you go the more dramatically the driving standards deteriorate! For tailgating, if you drive below the speed limit by as much as 1mph, it will happen 100% of the time. If you drive bang on the speed limit or 5mph over it will happen 80% of the time. If you do 80mph everywhere it will happen 50% of the time............... If you brake test them, as you seem to have established, it will result in a collision by default due to the retarded proximity. Welcome to Northern Ireland :)

Yep know it well... Been coming here for about 20 odd years now thanks to my (now) wife and her family and have been all over so know exactly what you mean!

• Like 1

Yep know it well... Been coming here for about 20 odd years now thanks to my (now) wife and her family and have been all over so know exactly what you mean!

When you next make it down to the nicest part of the country watch out for the green goddess :D

ps. don't forget to stock up on real breads and sausages while you're over!  :thumbup:

One of the worst, most reckless displays of dangerous driving today in the 25 meter visibility fog. A Nissan note tailgating like on tow, passes over a blind crest and bend 4 vehicles (oncoming lights not visible until 25 meters away and then some freaks with none on at all). Then same driver in town hits first mini roundabout and decides to overtake on it (entering and exiting on wrong side of road and going wrong way around it), in a bid to take the longer route through the town (over twice as long and 2 junctions and a roundabout extra too, he must have sped like a mother trucker + 2 zebra crossings), to beat the artic and 2 cars in front of him which as he was going to fail decided to pull the same move at the next mini roundabout rejoining the main road (wrong side on and off and wrong way round), then after forcing oncoming van to stop dead got back in exactly where he was. After that fog lifted nicely to about 80-100 meters visibility in places and finally behind the artic he had about 15 suicidal aborted overtakes and dozens of whack a mole tailgating peeks out in the face of oncoming traffic, to illustrate how bad and dangerous he was, the artic driver physically pulled over and stopped so the tool could go past (artic was sitting at 50mph on an NSL road in poor conditions as was). Then off he goes into the sunset with an estimated 90mph, I find him 2 miles later at a garage casually parked right at the door blocking 2 pumps and wondering in through the door. 

Nothing but utter disgust for that looser, had he put himself into a tree, I would not have given a single truck! 

NSL road, single carriageway. Come around a bend on the brow of a hill to find a Focus stationary, passenger door open. No obvious reason as as soon as I have braked quickly to a stop, the passenger saunters back to the car and.they pootle off at 40ish. At least they said thank you.

Not fantastically annoyed, just baffled! Haha

NSL road, single carriageway. Come around a bend on the brow of a hill to find a Focus stationary, passenger door open. No obvious reason as as soon as I have braked quickly to a stop, the passenger saunters back to the car and.they pootle off at 40ish. At least they said thank you.

Not fantastically annoyed, just baffled! Haha

Reminds me a bit of this video, although changing a tyre is a better excuse to stop, but risky over the brow of a hill after a bend.

Edited by dan4291
  • Like 1

Reminds me a bit of this video, although changing a tyre is a better excuse to stop, but risky over the brow of a hill after a bend.

Just typical Skoda owners tbh........ 

• Like 1

After last week's puncture I've got another screw embedded in a tyre :( This time it's worse as it's too close to the edge to be repaired. I was going to swap the tyres over to all seasons after this summer, but that's now been brought forward a couple of months :(

That's rotten luck. Was it on the same/similar route as last week?

It looked to have been there for several days, as it was worn down. It's staying put for the time being as it's keeping most of the air in! Should have new tyres by next week.

Being reminded of the laundry list of things I need to fix on the Fav...

Steering rack's complaining very loudly when I wind it over while stopped, as well as clunking horribly on accel/braking (reconditioned rack in the shed, new tie-rod ends on order, just need to put 'em in.)

relay for manual fan controller keeps having the power feed fall off, so I lose the cooling fan (rad-fan switch already got, just waiting for a day I can be arsed to drain all the coolant to replace it);

heater core leaking at the valve, which will at least need a new gasket (Will do that at the same time I sort the rad-fan switch.);

CV boots leaking on both sides, which is going to be a pig to sort.

O2 sensor is the current suspect for the hiccuping and stalling, so I'll go dig that out to double-check the part # before ordering a replacement. If it's the one I have jotted down, then it's not too bad; it's a £44 part.

Ah, the joys.

Ended up stuck in a tailback on the motorway (bad enough, wanted to get away from work early today), guy driving a Superb Greenline wouldn't let me in the queue off the sliproad! Petty, I give you, and only slightly less annoying than when another Furby driver wouldn't let me merge a while back!

Same thing as most days. People who who leave huge gaps in front of them then go racing through the traffic lights leaving you stuck on red and if they had paid attention and kept a sensible distance you and the car behind would have been through the lights too.

Wednesday night whilst on the bike it was the driver who drove straight out of the side road. Luckily I'd already clocked him, moved to the centre of the road and slowed right down. Even still he was only a foot away from my left leg. Annoyed me when I was letting him know to open his eyes whilst blasting my horn that he was looking down at his lap rather than make eye contact with me. He wasn't going to get let off that easy though and I'm sure he'll be much more attentive at junctions in the future. 

What's annoying me at the moment are the speed limit signs on the dual carriageway around Swindon hospital. Depending on the route you take to the road it's either a 50 limit or a 30. I've been pottering along at 30 for years wondering why all these lunatics were whizzing by.

So i was thinking. I know, dangerous stuff.

You reverse out of a carparking space and people walk behind you. Whether youre in a car, or van with blind spots or whatever. Its the same with reversing into a road with a van. You cant see them, but they slip behind through blind spot.

Yet if you drive out forwards, people stop, people let you go and a right of way is given.

Is it just me?

It makes bugger all sense.

You reverse out of a carparking space and people walk behind you. Whether youre in a car, or van with blind spots or whatever. Its the same with reversing into a road with a van. You cant see them, but they slip behind through blind spot.

Yet if you drive out forwards, people stop, people let you go and a right of way is given.

Is it just me?

Its because they want to have a shout and stamp their feet because they know you can see them, strange world :) i always get right of way just reverse fast enough they soon move ;)

• Like 1

Its because they want to have a shout and stamp their feet because they know you can see them, strange world :) i always get right of way just reverse fast enough they soon move ;)

So its alright if you can see em n drive into em, they move , but if you reverse out and you genuinly cant see em cos they drive in your blind spot.

Sensible.

:D.

Is it just me?

I was always told never to reverse out onto a road, if you are not sure you will be able to turn around once in the drive, then reverse in.

• Like 2

I was always told never to reverse out onto a road, if you are not sure you will be able to turn around once in the drive, then reverse in.

Yeah i know what you mean. I always reverse in wherever i can. Swmbo laughs at me for it. Thinks im just showing off :D

Its not always possible with the little places we get into on jobs though.

Im not talking main roads btw, just thr odd passing car. Which should really stop if they were sensible, but they arent. They judt keep going

• Like 1

Exactly, ****es me right off. My old van got written off by someone backing out of their drive, stopping long enough to make me think they'd looked, then backing straight out into me. Common sense says if you don't trust your skills to reverse in, you're going to have a worse time reversing back out.

The thing with common sense is, it's a bit of a misnomer.

• Like 1