Changing the number of convenience indicator flashes with VCDS

I've got a Ross-Tech Micro CAN VCDS controller for use with my MY2011 Scout and have successfully made a couple of changes to the default set-up e.g. I've enabled instrument staging. I would like to adjust the number of "soft" indicator flashes from the default setting of 3 to 4. I'm pretty sure that this is configurable, but for the life of me I cannot see a setting anywhere in VCDS to change this option. I've searched the Ross-Tech Wiki and googled this issue but can't find an answer. Please can someone provide a clear step-by-step description of how to make this change?

Thanks,

Simon

Although VCDS shows the range of settings as 1 - 5, I found that you can only select 3, 4 or 5 flashes. And there isn't an option on FL models without Maxidot to disable this 'comfort' setting which is what I wanted.

And there isn't an option on FL models to disable this 'comfort' setting which is what I wanted.

Really? Do you have Maxidot?

I can turn this feature on and off on my pre-FL Maxidot...

youtube

sweet.....exactly wat i was looking for :)

thanx.

Really? Do you have Maxidot?

I can turn this feature on and off on my pre-FL Maxidot...

as silver1011 said, u can turn it off via maxidot:- Settings -> Lights & Vision -> Comf. Indic. -> uncheck (or check)

0414c8fb.jpgbe57de99.jpg

Edited by JR RS

Staging is only a vcds option !

Also I know you don't have maxidot .. But on my FL (with maxidot) I can turn of the comfort settings so I'm pretty sure that you could be able to turn it off via vcds .!

I have now successfully enabled staging but couldn't find any option to disable comfort turn signals with VCDS.

As a matter of interest, was this on a FL Octavia? Can't seem to see the 'staging' option on mine. Unless you can direct me to the relevant coding. Mines a 58 hence non FL Octavia btw...

That's a great guide thank you, perfectly describing what to do. I followed it, found the setting, amended the number of blinks from 3 to 4, saved the setting. Tested, but no change - still 3 blinks :-(. If I run the routine again, VCDS reports the number of blinks is now set to be 4, but it hasn't affected the actual behaviour of the comfort indicators on the car, which is still stuck on 3 blinks. As an experiment, I tried winding it up to 5 and down to 2. VCDS reports the setting has been stored, but the car remains stubbornly stuck on 3 blinks. As an aside, I am able to go into Maxidot and disable the comfort indicators and this change is accepted.

Any ideas what trick I'm missing? Is there some other setting in VCDS that effectively leaves the car in "read-only" mode, so the changes are not actually committed to the car's system?

Edited by Simon Cobb

As a matter of interest, was this on a FL Octavia? Can't seem to see the 'staging' option on mine. Unless you can direct me to the relevant coding. Mines a 58 hence non FL Octavia btw...

Yes. The option is available under Instruments - Adaptation. My car's instrument module is the 1Z0 920 903K version.

That's a great guide thank you, perfectly describing what to do. I followed it, found the setting, amended the number of blinks from 3 to 4, saved the setting. Tested, but no change - still 3 blinks :-(. If I run the routine again, VCDS reports the number of blinks is now set to be 4, but it hasn't affected the actual behaviour of the comfort indicators on the car, which is still stuck on 3 blinks. As an experiment, I tried winding it up to 5 and down to 2. VCDS reports the setting has been stored, but the car remains stubbornly stuck on 3 blinks. As an aside, I am able to go into Maxidot and disable the comfort indicators and this change is accepted.

Any ideas what trick I'm missing? Is there some other setting in VCDS that effectively leaves the car in "read-only" mode, so the changes are not actually committed to the car's system?

I've done this recently on a MY12 Golf with the same result. A bit of searching led me to the solution of doing a Factory Reset, in the maxidot Lights and Vision menu, to actually apply the changed setting. Worked fine on the Golf so I would imagine the Octavia would be the same. Apparently MY11 cars and later need this extra step.

• Like 1

I've done this recently on a MY12 Golf with the same result. A bit of searching led me to the solution of doing a Factory Reset, in the maxidot Lights and Vision menu, to actually apply the changed setting. Worked fine on the Golf so I would imagine the Octavia would be the same. Apparently MY11 cars and later need this extra step.

Ah ha, excellent info. I had mine upped from 3 to 5 and it made no difference so now at least I know how to get it to change.

Confirmed that doing a Factory Reset in the Lights and Vision menu applied the change to the Comfort Indicator blink number that I had changed in VCDS :thumbup: . Thanks very much for your combined help.

so if i'm reading correctly:-

1. change the number of flashes from 3 to 5.

2. perform factory reset on "lights & vision"

would that b correct?

when u say "factory reset" - r u referring to the last line shown in this image?

be57de99.jpg