FUBAR

I've about given up trying to explain to people how vunerable you are on 2 wheels (motorbike or cyclist) & how different it is to driving a car/bus/lorry etc. Sadly the majority of motorists (car drivers) will only see what happens from behind the wheel and not understand what is happening in their surroundings.

SWMBO saw me riding my motorbike for the 1st time last night, I met up with her & my boys at the stables on my way home from work, she had alot of questions when we got home about why I rode the way I did & answered just about every question with, I didn't see that or I didn't think of that. It's amazing how much you dont notice/think about when you have a big metal box with lots of airbags surrounding you.

She did think I was very grown up and responsible, especially as I didn't try to take off when crossing the old railway line (I always take off on the pushbike :) )

Iv given up trying to explain too mate.

A motorcyclist makes a better car driver i think. So much more aware and plan so much further ahead

• Like 3

Posted here to keep 'discussion' elsewhere semi on topic.

Mr grr666, to save trolling your entire post to quote the part i want, i have plenty of experience of been on two wheels on the road from my teenage years on 50cc and 125cc, legally i might add. 

There's an ocean of difference between a 125 and a proper bike. I'd go out on a limb and guess you 

haven't ridden one for at least 8 years? 

CBT does not a motorcyclist make. A real bike would scare the pants off of you without proper training. 

Even my crappy 650 commuter bike would give you a shock. 

No offence meant to those who use them for cheap transport but really 50s and 125s are toy bikes for kids to 

practice on and/or get through the test(S).

Most motorcyclists should know that cars love to pull out on them same with pedal cyclists so if you see one near a junction be prepared for it, and dont overtake the bus or larger vehicle at the junction either. The amount of time ive pulled out after another vehicle has stopped in traffic to allow me out of a side road for some motorbike to be filtering threw and overtaking.
So how does some one pulling out on a biker make it the bikers fault as your original point stated???

Oh, and thanks for the driving lesson sonny, I was at the wheel when you were in the school playground

playing with your friends, and I first rode a motorbike before you were born so your version of 

'plenty of experience' probably differs from mine. 

The fault in your example still lays with both car drivers. 

1. Minor gives way to major. The car has no business letting you out into the path of a motorcyclist 

which he could possibly see better than you. If motorcyclist got hurt then there would be an eventual 50/50 

fault outcome between the two car drivers for contributing equally to the accident,

Not that that matters much to the poor bloke with a broken back. 

2. Look where you are going, if someone 'lets you out' and you choose to trust their judgement

and assume the way is clear then there will be tears before bedtime, you'll be crying about your 

drivers door and quite possibly a family somewhere will be crying over their dead relative. 

If that doesn't bring the situation into perspective then frankly you are a lost cause. 

Here's a lesson in return since you seem dead set on having a row with me.

The word is 'through' not 'threw'. 

As in * I walked through the doorway. 

Threw is used in sentences like this. 

*Did you see that!?!! When that car pulled out on that bike the impact 

threw the rider over the handlebars and into that lamp-post!!

So yes, i suppose youll jump on the filtering is legal bandwagon something riders dont understand is legal is NOT safe.

Well it is legal whether you like it or not, and as a motorist it's just as much your responsibility to ensure you are pulling into an 

empty gap as it is mine as a biker to make sure I'm seen clearly. You can't just barge your way around because you

feel butthurt that someone else can filter when you can't. I see a lot of this as well, preventative positioning in traffic

to deliberately hinder bikes. Sour grapes at their finest. 

• Like 1

I've only had a quick read in the thread but he sounds like he's got a big old motorcycle chip on his shoulder, riding a 125 more than likely 10 years ago means he knows it all. Anyone who thinks it's ok to pull out in front of someone (on anything, bike, car, bicycle etc) because the person approaching should know someone might pull out is past help tbh. As motorcyclists we all take as much care as possible to protect ourselves but no one can mind read. 

• Like 1

On a more topic related note, had a lovely sunrise to watch on my way to work this morning, & just been told by SWMBO we have terrential rain/thunder/lightning at home again :( , looks like wet weather gear going home.

What happened to the nice dry warm summer weather?

Well I'm back from working away and I've had the bike out today for the first time in over 2 months! My god I've missed it! Hopefully if the weather holds off this evening I'll be visiting a local bikers night :)

• Like 1

Summers over dude. :rain:  :rain:  :rain:

Your pic was nice, I went out for a ride with my wifes little brother

yesterday. He's 15 and is staring at the calendar waiting for his 16th birthday 

as me and the wife have said we'll buy him a moped if he does well in his GCSEs 

But I've told him it will be a bike with gears, I'm not sure a rev and go will teach him

very much. I want him to get involved with the maintenance side of things too and teach him

about looking after a bike.  He's got to wait until next July til he's 16 and August for exam results,

Anything less than Cs and he's outta luck. He knows that and is studying his butt off. LOL 

It was his first time ever on a road motorcycle yesterday, he said it was the most exciting thing he's 

ever done bless him.  :sun:

Do you know what? I may even be buying a 125 for the Mrs soon too.

We are allowed in the bus lanes here and it would reduce her commute time wise

to about 30% of what it is now in the car. And of course theres the 100mpg

as well so more savings there. She currently pays 90 quid a month for a parking space 

for her car but she can park a bike for free in her firms underground car park. 

She already has good quality leathers and kit for when she's on back of me.

A 125 will pay for itself in 12 months. 

(I might be spotted from time to time strangling it to death round Bristol  

for LOLs. There's a lot of fun to be had on small bikes like a 125.)

Thing is she likes cruiser style bikes :( and wants panniers for her gym kit

with tassles on :o

That should keep me off of her bike (which I shall refer to as the 'Blue Oyster')

I'd still have a 125 if the need arose. When we went to London it was all 0 - 40mph everywhere, start/stop, squeeze through a gap, off the lights up to 30/40mph and back down to walking pace again. 125 is like a push bike with a engine, perfect for such travel. No sure on the cruiser type bikes though, lower down, less visible, less manoeuvrable etc. 

Oh yes they are the perfect commuter vehicle apart from 

the falling off bit and the getting cold/wet bit. LOL

Edited to add pics of my 15yr old bro in law, he wanted some taken of him

in bike gear to send to his mates  :sun:  

IMAG0426_zpsvg1s17of.jpg

IMAG0425_zpsstmuiefs.jpg

I would have put him in full leathers but the only ones I had that would fit him are my wifes and 

they are a feminine cut so that wasn't happening :D

So that's two pairs of jeans with a pair of joggers underneath LOL

He's like a stick insect really :P

Oh and he was wearing heavy steel toe boots as well, I told him

if he turned up in trainers he wouldn't be getting a ride out on the bike

• Like 1

I had a 50cc scooter alot of years ago, all that taught me was, it hurts when you get flipped off the bike by cornering too fast and catch the faring on the road.

I keep looking at bigger bikes, there have been a few occaisions, where I've sat behind a tractor or slower moving traffic (approx 20-25mph) in 40/50/60mph speed limits as there isn't a long enough straight/flat piece of road for me to pass safely on, I'm still not sure if the motorbike will be a 'hobby' for me but noticed Yamaha did a 250cc YBR a few years ago, which might be an option for me next year if I decide to keep it as a commuter bike only.

When the kids go back to school, I'm planning on doing a 110mile round trip to see my brothers Triumph speed triple & have a short ride out with him as he doesn't go out if it even looks like it might rain.

I've been riding with the sniffles this week too, try not to sneeze with your visor shut! :doh:

• Like 1

I had a 50cc scooter alot of years ago, all that taught me was, it hurts when you get flipped off the bike by cornering too fast and catch the faring on the road.

I keep looking at bigger bikes, there have been a few occaisions, where I've sat behind a tractor or slower moving traffic (approx 20-25mph) in 40/50/60mph speed limits as there isn't a long enough straight/flat piece of road for me to pass safely on, I'm still not sure if the motorbike will be a 'hobby' for me but noticed Yamaha did a 250cc YBR a few years ago, which might be an option for me next year if I decide to keep it as a commuter bike only.

When the kids go back to school, I'm planning on doing a 110mile round trip to see my brothers Triumph speed triple & have a short ride out with him as he doesn't go out if it even looks like it might rain.

I've been riding with the sniffles this week too, try not to sneeze with your visor shut! :doh:

Yamaha do do a ybr 250. I looked at it about 4 years ago when i was on a restricted licence.

They were just too much money for what they are though. Could have plenty of nice other bikes for what money they were going for.

Get a bigger bike. Overtaking is never an issue now. Its more "if i overtake this guy now, I'll be going too fast for the corner at the end". But the power to overtake is always there. Even at the shortest notice.

Just though I'd pop this in here taken from the 100 year old driver thread :devil:

OMFG why did you have to draw this to my attention  :no:  :peek:  :x:o  :swear:   :@  :wall:

I have replied......... :peek:

my reply included this :

• Like 1

^^ gotta be some kinda record? Haha

No I still have not reached the epic level of multiposting that a certain member did in this thread the other week :D 

• Like 1