Yeti rear parcel shelf

jekyll

Just wondering if skoda have made a new type parcel shelf / cover for the rear of the yeti. Other cars i've had have had a roller blind type cover, this was much better imho as you could leave it in the car at all times, the rigid shelf is a bit of a pain.........

The only shelf available for the Yeti is the solid one. Having experienced roller types on previous cars I found them a total waste of time and a complete pain.

As has been said, if you find it is in the way it fits very neatly against the seat backs, mounted vertically.

The other option is to leave it at home.

The only shelf available for the Yeti is the solid one. Having experienced roller types on previous cars I found them a total waste of time and complete pain.

Agreed. I had one in the Volvo V50 and there's one in the B Class. They're all very well for covering the boot space when you want to keep prying eyes out, but they tend to be a fairly bulky unit across the load space at mid-height. When you want to put something larger in the boot you have to totally remove them from the load space, which is easy to do but then there's nowhere to put them without putting a seat down. At least the Yeti one can be stowed behind the seats when not in use.

I removed ours on day 1 of ownership when the dog box went in.

It's never been used,but at least it will look brand new when the car is part exchanged later this summer.

The presence or absence of the parcel shelf does not seem to make much difference to noise levels in the Yeti , unlike with my replaced Mk4 Golf which was much noisier with the parcel shelf removed. I dont know whether the spare wheel option helps though .

I do find I have to remove the parcel shelf more than expected as the spare wheel does reduce the boot height available significantly and more than expected.

• Like 1

I agree with the posts thankyou for your thoughts, however, the volvo V50 imho had a far superior system where the rear cover also had a luggage net which went up to the roof, this was great for when we went on holiday, the yaeti doesn't seem to have anything other than the dog guard available for this. The shelf is a pain when we go on holiday as we end up leaving it at home as it gets in the way and takes up too much space, when we are on holiday it then leaves us with no cover for things in the boot. I realise that we all have different requests and thoughts on this but it seems like everyone else is happy. :rofl:

But as has been pointed out by several of us, you don't need to leave it at home! :wall:

Take the cover off and slide it down so it rests against the rear seats. It fits perfectly!!

Then you can refit it when you empty the boot.

• Like 1

The roller system in the V50 took up too much space. I took that out and left it in my garage the day I bought the car, and it went back in the day I part-exchanged it for the Yeti. The Yeti shelf is now in the same spot in my garage. I have the dog guard fitted which keeps dog and/or luggage where I want it. The darkened windows mean that it's very difficult for prying eyes to see if anything has been left in the back.

My Octavia Estate has a roller blind and agree it is usually more practical than a rigid load cover (always tipping up when you open the rear hatch - on most cars). Only deploy it when travelling sans dog and light load (few times a year). But if you leave a load cover at home just use a blanket over the boot contents for security...

On the other hand, the multilevel boot kit has never been in the car - heavy great wooden partition useful only to the 1% of folks who need a "flat" area when folding the seats down... pretty sure you Yetiers are saved that though (spare wheel kit at least does something useful ie cover a spare wheel!).

What confused me in the beginning was people saying "turn the parcel shelf around" and just stow it behind the rear seats. What exactly does that mean? Better descriptive English would help here... So here goes: take the parcel shelf out and turn it around on its horizontal axis, then you feed what normally is the rearmost part of the shelf (without the pegs) in first so it stands upright behind the seats with the hinge pegs still at the top (albeit the other way around). This works for Yetis with both a spare wheel and raised floor as well as Yetis without.

Thanks, Johann, I always appriciate your good advice and practicallity [seriously]

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My previous 5 series Tourings had that built into the retracting cover. Brilliant and used quite a bit.

Volvo V50 had this also, it was great for camping trips, we could load to the roof and it all stayed in the boot safely. I really missed it on the yeti, i even looked at fitting a dog guard!

This looks an excellent idea. However, whilst the blurb suggests it can be mounted in two positions, I guess (looking at the upper mountings) you must decide which one position you intend using it, rather than it being transferable between two positions as needs require.

This looks an excellent idea. However, whilst the blurb suggests it can be mounted in two positions, I guess (looking at the upper mountings) you must decide which one position you intend using it, rather than it being transferable between two positions as needs require.

In the volvo's they have two roof mounts, one at the back above the rear seats and also one further forwards for when the seats are folded down if my memory serves correctly.

The Tourings were the same. Just lift the net and hook into the roof. It had a nifty place to fit the contraption in front of the rear seats as well. Brilliant piece of design.