Its been awhile, a new problem is due

Hi All

Skoda Octavia 07 vRS PD

Just as im getting rid of one problem (DPF removal tomorrow) i think theres another one starting

When turning the engine off, its no longer a smooth affair, it judders almost like a stall when i turn it off. I used to have the same problem on my Mk4 Golf 150PD, i read somewhere that a 'shudder valve' is to blame so off i went to VW to ask about a new valve and they said no such thing exsists..so at that point i was kinda stuck..but then i sold the car :D

Anyone else face this problem?

Hi All

Skoda Octavia 07 vRS PD

Just as im getting rid of one problem (DPF removal tomorrow) i think theres another one starting

When turning the engine off, its no longer a smooth affair, it judders almost like a stall when i turn it off. I used to have the same problem on my Mk4 Golf 150PD, i read somewhere that a 'shudder valve' is to blame so off i went to VW to ask about a new valve and they said no such thing exsists..so at that point i was kinda stuck..but then i sold the car :D

Anyone else face this problem?

Um, fuel shutoff valve, rater than 'shudder' valve?

Not taken newer engines apart but can't imagine anything has changed:

A fuel shutoff valve lifts/opens when electrical current passes through the solenoid (i.e. when the ignition is turned on). When the current stops (ignition off) the valve drops, cutting the fuel supply and stopping the engine. If this valve we failing/sticking then you might have problems starting (if it won't lift) or the engine might chug on a little before cutting out (if the valve won't drop properly).

This is the only thing I can thing of which you might have mistaken for a 'shudder valve'. Did the mechanic who told you this have a strong regional dialect perhaps? :D

I have a shutoff valve go on my old 205 many many years ago. Rather fix it straight away I just took it out at the roadside when I broke down one afternoon. Only problem then was that the car kept running when you took the keys out - had to put it in fourth and smoothly bring the clutch up (with the brakes on) to stall it......

As I say, I doubt the newer engines are any different, although they may be a little more complicated depending how the immobilisers are fitted.

Thanks mr_awol, It might be a northern thing to call this valve a 'shudder' :D

I think i know which one you mean, i was looking for this illusive valve on my Golf, turned the engine off a the waste gate stayed open for around 3 seconds after the engine had stopped so i presumed that when it juddered it was the turbo gas not been released from the turbo smoothly and causing the engine to stutter without the pressure?

Im not sure :think:

I test lots of vag cars and when u turn most of them off u get an engine shudder. It's quiet normal, my 07 1.9 tdi done it slightly and so does most Vrs s iv seem including my own.

I think ur getting over paranoid about ur car at this stage!

Edited by Davidsr20

I have something similar and I have been told its the EGR/Throttle body (a malfunction)

Sounds like what i had when both the egr went and also the throttle body(cant remember what its called on the diesel) not at the same time :), but i had a CEL light on aswell, might be a good idea to have it scanned for faults, or the egr might just need a clean

Throttle Body is shown below on mine, the EGR is above it where the silver pipe is going in from the right

IMAG0212_EDIT%2520%255BDesktop%2520Resolution%255D.jpg

Edited by Dallan

I test lots of vag cars and when u turn most of them off u get an engine shudder. It's quiet normal, my 07 1.9 tdi done it slightly and so does most Vrs s iv seem including my own.

I think ur getting over paranoid about ur car at this stage!

No i pick up on very small changes/vibrations and noises. Killing a diesel engine, in my experience has always been just as smooth as a petrol, you must be thinking of stalling the engine (when driving) now this is a horrible shudder, feels like something big has just given way!

Thanks for your help guys, is this just a normal case of take off EGR, soak in diesel/throttle cleaner and then give it good scrub? Remember doing one on friends Astra, made the world of difference.

There is an ASV (anti shudder valve) on the 1.9 pd in the golf not sure about the new 2.0pd

The way it works is to store a vacuum in the round sphere (12) at the front of the engine whilst the engine is running, when you switch off on the valves on the back of the bulkhead (1, 4 or 6) uses this stored vacuum to close the ASV which blocks the airway to the engine giving you a cleaner engine stop.

After a few seconds the valve releases the vacuum opening the valve ready to start the engine on next startup.

Check the vacuum pipes for small splits / cracks / connections and check the sphere as well (unlikely but possible)

A good test is to remove the vacuum hose from the ASV (2) and put your ear to it whilst someone else turns the engine off, you should hear a short vacuum pull then it should disappear. It also could be the ASV valve itself (diaphragm split, valve gunged up and stuck)

7113fb62.jpg

Edited by xpower

No i pick up on very small changes/vibrations and noises. Killing a diesel engine, in my experience has always been just as smooth as a petrol, you must be thinking of stalling the engine (when driving) now this is a horrible shudder, feels like something big has just given way!

Thanks for your help guys, is this just a normal case of take off EGR, soak in diesel/throttle cleaner and then give it good scrub? Remember doing one on friends Astra, made the world of difference.

No I'm talking about killing an engine too lol

Take off your engine cover and have a look at the front L/H of the engine (just in front of the pulleys), you'll notice a solenoid a bit like the N75 & pipework going to an ac****or which appears to disappear behind the pulley & belts:- This is what connects to your inlet manifold flap & is what is used in conjunction with the EGR to 'kill' the engine smoothly. Check the valve is working & the vac lines are ok.

See the pic below pointing out what I'm talking about

Untitledsol.jpg

* why cant I write a c t u a t o r without spaces?! lol

Edited by max69vk

Take off your engine cover and have a look at the front L/H of the engine (just in front of the pulleys), you'll notice a solenoid a bit like the N75 & pipework going to an ac****or which appears to disappear behind the pulley & belts:- This is what connects to your inlet manifold flap & is what is used in conjunction with the EGR to 'kill' the engine smoothly. Check the valve is working & the vac lines are ok.

See the pic below pointing out what I'm talking about

Untitledsol.jpg

* why cant I write a c t u a t o r without spaces?! lol

so this is the 2.0PD engine?

Thanks for all your help guys, Im getting the car back at 3 today, from its DPF removal, im genuinely excited to get it back, you have no idea how knackered the DPF was!

• 3 weeks later...

Untitledsol.jpg

This area of my vRS is covered, and I mean COVERED in oil. Apparently the seal on the end of my inlet manifold has came apart causing oil to leak out onto inlet manifold valve and aux belt... I apparently require a new inlet manifold & gasket!!!