3D Tv, way of the future or crock of ****e ?

David 8

Hit me with it .....

The gogglebox is looking decidely ****y of late, so I think it's time to chuck it in the stingys over by the shops.

I like the look of this one

http://www.richersou...b/pana-txl42e5b

But with all this 3D thingymyjig do I go for this

http://www.richersou.../pana-txl42et5b

I have done one film in the cinema on 3D and if I'm honest I thought it was pooh

I was thinking exactley the same about 3D tv last week. I havent even seen a film in 3D yet.

My situation was slightly different and I wanted a smaller TV for the bedroom so I opted for the TXL32E5 so as far as I can see the same TV but 32" not 42".

I was quite a bit more then I budgeted for but I nedded it to be thinner than a standard LCD due to space restirctions.

Bonus was as it was a newer model it has the smart facilities and I got the wireless dongle and camera so I can now access skype and other internet functions through the TV which is actually pretty useful. We use skype a fair bit so it saves having to boot the computer up every time. Plus you get youtube and bbc iplayer etc so you can watch stuff you missed which is another useful feature.

As for the TV it's my 2nd panasonic (other tv was a 42" plasma) and its very good. I would recommend them as a brand. I've also had samsung and LG and the panasonics are better all round IMO.

As with everything electronic get the best you can afford. It will be obsolete in 6 months anyway. If you are not bothered about having the latest model look for a bargin on the run out series.

By the way the richersounds link is here: http://www.richersou...b/pana-txl32e5b

I bought mine from Williams who are a Panasonic retailer, link here: http://www.williams-... LAN ready.html

They matched price and I got the 5 year Guarantee included which richer sounds want £39.95 for. Excellent service and I saved money too.

David, you might want to hold off a bit if you can before buying a new set. All the current 3D technology is going to finish at the end of this year and a brand new technology is coming out which allows you to watch 3D without using googles. It's much better all round I've been told by those that know and it's the future. The only downside is that it may be just a tad more expensive to start with of course. But might be worth waiting just a bit.

we got a Samsung 3dtv, initially its pretty good

but once the novelty wears off its just another feature on the tv i dont use lol

good to entertain guests though, showing off the pop out parts in films

also the kids love it naturally!

As for the TV it's my 2nd panasonic (other tv was a 42" plasma) and its very good. I would recommend them as a brand. I've also had samsung and LG and the panasonics are better all round IMO.

I'm with you on that I got a 32 Viera and it's better than the Sony 40"

David, you might want to hold off a bit if you can before buying a new set. All the current 3D technology is going to finish at the end of this year and a brand new technology is coming out which allows you to watch 3D without using googles. It's much better all round I've been told by those that know and it's the future. The only downside is that it may be just a tad more expensive to start with of course. But might be worth waiting just a bit.

Dunno if I can wait, she's gonna blow any day now, it's currently 10 mins of screen mentalness before you watch anything when starting off from cold

we got a Samsung 3dtv, initially its pretty good

but once the novelty wears off its just another feature on the tv i dont use lol

good to entertain guests though, showing off the pop out parts in films

also the kids love it naturally!

This is what I'm thinking, just another feature

There is no such thing as a 3D TV. It's stereoscopic TV. That's why it makes some people (me) want to puke or rip their eyes out.

3D will be folded into mainstream shortly. You won't be able to by a TV without it it'll just be something else like stereo sound or wifi

The only advantage is that 3D TVs tend to make a better 2D image too since they're geared up to do twice the work. I'd look for a TV that does 2D well and if that includes 3D features then it's an incidental bonus.

Personally I'd rather have a well functioning smart tv with internet streaming (in 2D).

Edited by Aspman
  • Like 3

Passive 3D - blurry and dull

Active 3D - makes everything flicker

Glassesless 3D - makes everything flicker

I don't do 3D! :rofl:

In all seriousness, at best it provides depth in the same way as a child's pop-up book does...

• Like 1

The TV makers are figuring out that 3D is more of a gimmick than a killer-feature - so thesedays most sets dont come with 3d glasses out the box (and active glasses are about £50 a pair)

Ive recently upgraded to a 50" Panny 50GT50 plasma, which is regarded as one of the best available. and TBH if there are films i want to watch that are in 3d i will get them in 3d. It does add extra depth to the film.. however not all 3d films are created equal!

but as above.. apart from the first few weeks, ive only used 3d a couple of times (most recent being to watch the wimbldon final which was broadcast in 3d on BBCHD)

In all seriousness, at best it provides depth in the same way as a child's pop-up book does...

Just a series of 2D images stacked behind each other. None of the images actually has depth to them. Just a bunch of cardboard cut-outs. ;)

I find that too and the early sets looked exactly like a pop-up book. The latest ones are showing much improvement, but it still doesn't look natural. It's still just a gimmick IMO.

Arguably the best use of 3D in film so far - Prometheus - still looks like a kids book to me!

Added nothing to the experience at all :(

Ive been following 3D for the last 2-3 years trying to decide what was best. Whoever said 3D without glasses by the end of the year perhap knows something the industry doesnt. Ive tried many tvs and eventually settled on a projector and screen with 3dxl adaptor. In my opinion is the only way to get immersion and the best from 3D. i use my projector alot and it is currently running a 100" screen which is ideal for films and gaming. If i was looking at buying just as a TV then i would stick with a plain and simple set without 3D unless the price was right.Its a bit like buying one of those all in a box surround systems with the speakers and amp which sound **** or spending a few thousand on seperate amps and speakers. Depends what you want. Whilst i agree 3D is not for everyone dont knock it until you have seen proper 3D and not on a piddley 40" screen

Have a look at independent reviews but 3D without glasses you will be waiting a long while....http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404896,00.asp

My next TV, and next gaming monitor will be 3D capable.

Every time i go to a tech show, they've got loads of demos of 3D games, and they look awesome. I suspect the next generation of consoles will be 3D enabled, and even without 3D films, i'll be happy just to game in 3D.

I've watched a couple of films in 3D, and i really like the effect, but they've mostly been the 2D films, remastered into 3D, rather than being designed for 3D from the beginning like Avatar. Like most things, film makers don't bother with proper 3D, because theres a limited market, and because of the lack of content, most people don't buy 3D TV.

I'd like more films to be designed from the ground up to be 3D, actually making 3D part of the experience, not an add on.

I'm remember reading about some 3DTV Glasses manufacturers working with opticians, to make 3DTV perscription glasses. I'm supprised that has never come to pass. That would be a major hurdle overcome in one step.

I have a 3DTV but no interest in 3D, I actually prefer watching in 2D as I find I can relax my eyes and the image is much sharper (same at the cinema). The only reason I have 3D is because I wanted a decent TV and it happened to come with 3D, I've seen a few films in 3D (Avatar, Alice in Wonderland, Tintin, Underworld Awakening, TT3D and Prometheus) and not one of them has even remotely convinced that 3D is better even though some of them are proper native 3D films.

John

Edited by JohnMcL7
  • Like 1

I can't see in 3D so they're all a bit pointless to me, like Aspman says get a decent 2D

Daisy, are you sure you can't see in 3D? If it's true then you must bump into lots of things and perhaps you shouldn't be driving either :giggle:

Agree with the general response to OP's question, 3D seems to be more of a distraction.

I remember seeing the Jaws 3D movie in a cinema years (and years) ago and apart from the odd fish scene and a severed arm floating towards you it was utterly forgettable tosh and probably put back 3D in movies for a couple of decades or more!

I remember seeing the Jaws 3D movie in a cinema years (and years) ago and apart from the odd fish scene and a severed arm floating towards you it was utterly forgettable tosh and probably put back 3D in movies for a couple of decades or more!

Going OT here, but it is my thread lol

I was in Sea World, when they filmed that, Nov 82 when I was eight (useless fact no 3486)

Daisy, are you sure you can't see in 3D? If it's true then you must bump into lots of things and perhaps you shouldn't be driving either :giggle:

You sure about that?

I'm guessing perhaps Daisy may be blind or have restricted vision in one eye?, so you get poor depth perception, but only close up. That's the case for me and at least one other Briskodian- can't remember who, but this has come up before on here.

About the only issue driving is having a larger blind spot to the side. At distances greater than around 20ft, apparently stereoscopic vision makes no/little difference. Put it this way, I have no problem judging speed/distance on the road.

Back on topic, 3D TV would, I'd imagine, be useless, definitely if glasses were needed, as they use polarising filters to send a different image to each eye IIRC. No idea about the newer systems, or the Nintendo 3DS.