3D Tv, way of the future or crock of ****e ?

David 8

Arguably the best use of 3D in film so far - Prometheus - still looks like a kids book to me!

Added nothing to the experience at all :(

Prometheus was a very poor 3d film(on every level lol).. Lots of ghosting.

It's up to personal choice for 3d really - given I doubt Dave buys many blu rays maybe 3d won't be used much.. In my (testing of course) experience.. Downloaded 3d films Ain't a patch on the original blu ray version.

Richer sounds is a rip off.. Their warranty and returns policy ain't worth the paper it's written on, they feed off big bold graphics saying how much money your saving from RRP - when noone pays RRP anyway.

The links you posted.. Just googling the model numbers instantly showed up that Panny stores are selling them for £100 less with free 5year warranty. - worst case is you get John Lewis's to match it.

Bottom line. Do research.

AVForums is your best bet for reviews and opinions of a particular model. Reading AVF made me hold off buying one of last year model pannys (for half price) after hearing of widespread issues with them. Plus i was lucky enough to get a great deal on the actual set that AVF used for review so it is fully Isf/thx calibrated.

Sent from my piepad using Tapatalk

Bottom line. Do research.

AVForums is your best bet for reviews and opinions of a particular model. Reading AVF made me hold off buying one of last year model pannys (for half price) after hearing of widespread issues with them. Plus i was lucky enough to get a great deal on the actual set that AVF used for review so it is fully Isf/thx calibrated.

Sent from my piepad using Tapatalk

Bizarrely the first 2D model I linked, doesn't seem to show up on AVF, unless I'm on tard mode,

Blu what ......

I own a few lol

No ghosting when I saw it...

No...no ghosting when I watched it either. But a friend who I loaned it to did get some ghosting. Interested, I went round and played with his bits and controls and got rid easily. It was a faulty HDMI cable that caused it...or rather, a cable that was a bit too cheap.

Buy a screen for good 2D and the 3D is a bonus.

It's excellent if you tweak the depth for some films, but then that's the same for the cinema stuff too.

+ 1

Yes Babs, I think most of these things are easily fixed if you are prepared to experiment a little. And as you prolly know, cables are a big suspect in many of these problem areas affecting picture quality.

I am the other person 3D TV does not work for.

I am almost totally but not completely blind in one eye, I have no problems driving or carrying out day to day stuff. I cannot however catch anything, or hit a ball when playing cricket or tennis. I have been like it since birth, and it causes no issues.

3D is still a new product, its not even HD although you need a HDTV to view it. Half the resolution goes into generating the 3D effect, so you lose half the vertical and horizontal resolution.

Very true, a dodgy cable is a dodgy cable, but cheap doesn't have to mean dodgy :)

quite right, Babs. I bought all 3 of mine from The Range @ £4.99 each. No problems with them at all and if you read the blurb online, most say that there is very little or no difference between a cheap HDMI lead and a 'Monster' lead which goes for ~ £60 - £70. Also, AFAIK, the shorter, the better.

http://conversation....myth-expensive/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2385272,00.asp

• Like 2

Yup, always laugh at Monster cables :rofl:

It's a digital signal, so as long as the receiver is receiving everything that was sent, there's nothing to be gained!

• Like 3

Very true, a dodgy cable is a dodgy cable, but cheap doesn't have to mean dodgy :)

You are quite right, but my buddy went much too cheap. HDMI 1.4 @ 0.96pence each online from Ebay = not very good quality. HDMI 1.4 online at £3.95 = perfect quality. No need for these cables they sell in the big sheds at...wait for it....£95 at Bennetts when I bought my new Plasma Panasonic just a few months ago. I nearly fell over when the guy said, "and you'll need one of these hdmi 1.4 cables. They are crucial to the quality of the picture but these cost just £95 each!!". I quietly gave him my thoughts on the subject of course and bought my very high quality cables from Amazon at just £3.95 plus free delivery. No problems either my picture quality is stunning.

Edited by Estate Man

Daisy, are you sure you can't see in 3D? If it's true then you must bump into lots of things and perhaps you shouldn't be driving either :giggle:

Sorry to pull it off track Dave BUT

I have good vision in both eyes (with my lenses in !!), and am and have been for the last 20yrs two lines below the necessary requirement to drive on the Opthamologist's chart (though these days it's a slide projected at the wall rather than the old fashioned letter chart), it just happens that my brain is no good at processing two images into one, so I have always "seen" in 2D, if you play comp games you process the flat image because your brain allows for shadows and racetracks narrowing at the horizon, that's how I do it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exotropia

I bought a 42" Panasonic Viera smart 3D Tv in the comet sale in march, it was end of line as they were bringing out a sleeker version for an extra £200 , it does excellent 2D visuals and also has 3D but you can have the 3D switched on or off, got 2 pairs of 3d glasses with the tv and a 5 year warranty thrown in as well. Brilliant TV (especially for what i paid LOL) and the 3D is a cool gimick which i have watched a few times. The smart TV and the quality of 2d picture are the main reasons why this is such a fantastic tv.

Oh and FFS dont buy from richersounds!

I've bought a few items from the Guildford Richersounds over the years and never had anything, but good service.

Bought a 40" Sony LED earlier this year, which I didn't realise is 3D. I doubt if I will bother with the 3D because I prefer to watch programmes or films for their content and not the gimicks of the presentaion. HD is good for sport and that is worth having, but as for 3D I'm not convinced.

I've bought a few items from the Guildford Richersounds over the years and never had anything, but good service.

Have to say, I've used Richer Sounds for about 25 years, and never had a problem. The only annoying thing IMO is when they don't sell all stuff online.

3D is still a new product, its not even HD although you need a HDTV to view it. Half the resolution goes into generating the 3D effect, so you lose half the vertical and horizontal resolution.

That's only true for passive 3d systems, not the active ones.

Have to say, I've used Richer Sounds for about 25 years, and never had a problem. The only annoying thing IMO is when they don't sell all stuff online.

I also used to be taken in by their "OMGWTF MEGA BARGAIN" sales pitch... but look a little closer and it all falls apart. its not that cheap, and the warranty, while yes it will cover total failure.. however good luck trying to exchange a set that has clouding/banding issues.. this is where RS reputation falls over to places like john lewis that price match RS and have a proper no-questions warranty.

lets see: cheapest optical cable: £20

cheapest co-ax: £20

Cheapest HDMI: £8 for the plain black one you can get for a quid from tesco - although they WILL try and upsell to a £30 plus one.

I have a RS round the corner so i did sometimes wander in to see whats new.. and every time they are cross-selling some poor sod another £100 worth of cables "to get the best" from their 700 quid TV.

I also used to be taken in by their "OMGWTF MEGA BARGAIN" sales pitch... but look a little closer and it all falls apart. its not that cheap,

I've found they usually match the best for TV, but their aversion to online sales means I've gone to Amazon instead...

Cheapest HDMI: £8 for the plain black one you can get for a quid from tesco - although they WILL try and upsell to a £30 plus one.

I have a RS round the corner so i did sometimes wander in to see whats new.. and every time they are cross-selling some poor sod another £100 worth of cables "to get the best" from their 700 quid TV.

Now there you are definitely right. I never buy the extras there, though they were competitive for the Cambridge Audio speaker cable for my surround kit. Their HDMI cables are a complete con, and as others have pointed out, provided it doesn't degrade signal to the point of error-correction, it doesn't matter.

Selling expensive leads etc is all part of the sales process that most stores target staff with. I worked in electrical retail for 23 years and worked for miller brothers and Bennetts. More the latter but they all work on very low profit margins sometimes below 5% on brown goods so have to make the money somewhere. Leads in general have 60-70% profit and often stores make as much from the leads as they do the tv etc. Warranties are the next route of profit. If you want to keep your job in retail you pester for extras and warranty if not you are shown the door. Even the likes of Argos have jumped onto this and realize they make more out of the addons and warranty.