Did you get any more discount than the free vat offer ?

No none here either. Itried to use Drivethedeals price as a bargaining tool but to no effect. The salesman frightened my OH saying that the deal couldn't be real at that price and we could end up losing money.Although from reading various posts on here it does seem that they have longer delivery dates.

I had the 'VAT free', 2 years 0% interest, and an extra £500 discount off my Elegance Greenlins Hatch.

Jim

I had the 'VAT free', 2 years 0% interest, and an extra £500 discount off my Elegance Greenlins Hatch.

Jim

Hi

this is exactly what I have been offered this morning - because I mentioned the Octavia £500 deposit contribution - also a Guaranteed price for my car - however its a 3 month build as apparently the factory closes for 2 weeks next week. So if I order this week I am looking at delivery in October.

I have a cherished plate on retention - do I just give the dealer the retention certificate and they sort it out and car is delivered with my plate on it - or does it have to have its original reg on first and then I do the transfer when I take delivery.

Dave

I have a cherished plate on retention - do I just give the dealer the retention certificate and they sort it out and car is delivered with my plate on it - or does it have to have its original reg on first and then I do the transfer when I take delivery.

Dave

Just give the retention document to the dealer...they should be able to get your plate put straight on to your new car. Talk to your dealer but he should just need a signature in section 1, although they will probably want to date it when they register the car.

Interesting topic this. Skoda is one of VW's most profitable divisions. They also always have significant offers like 'Vat' equiv etc. a bit like DFS in marketing terms you could say.

So looking at this you could argue that Skoda prices their products to sell at discount (with offer) and obviously make a good margin still doing so. Also for those models in demand they sell at or close to list and make even more margin.

So the dealers may claim that there is no more after offer, but Skoda's financial numbers show different.

So I would say that looking at the numbers there should be room for discount, but Skoda's go to market strategy for retail customers creates a culture that discourages it.

Cheers

Steve

Dave

I just handed the dealer the retention certificate a week before the car was delivered and had to do nothing else. Car came delivered with my plate on it.

In June when I placed my order and the dealer gave me the price with the VAT deducted, I asked if he'd accept about £370 less to reduce it to a round sum and he went away for a few minutes and came back and agreed.

snapback.pngwhiteswan, on 23 July 2012 - 19:18, said:

Dave

I just handed the dealer the retention certificate a week before the car was delivered and had to do nothing else. Car came delivered with my plate on it.

Mine was all done on the day , i emailed the dealer my reg number , turned up with DVLA certificate and they did it all there and then , online

Edited by Richf

As Claymore but with a bit more as I got the L&K (with about £1k of extras) which gave the dealers a bit more room. Plus the Lifeshine at cost £83, the chrome grille, MDI lead and a full tank of fuel.

What about on a diesel estate which don't have the VAT free offer - what sort of discounts have people been able to obtain?

Edited by Phil_P

The reason I asked is that its becoming a bit like DFS sale - ie it never ends............so in my view the vat free price then becomes the book rrp price if you see what I mean.

There must still be room for a haggle even thought they are saying its vat free - and before anybody points it out - I am well aware that dealers will read this forum..................

Dave

@Phil P: When we were looking at new Superb estates our local dealer said they couldn't give any discount off the list price for a diesel elegance and offered us a petrol car instead. Needless to say we walked away and bought elsewhere.

Do you mean that the final invoice will still show vat ?

Dave

It has to, as new cars are subject to VAT in the UK. Basically they take 20% off the price (not including the dlelivery I think) so £25,000 becomes £20,000 but the invoice would show £16,000 + £4,000 of VAT.

They will deduct 1/6th of the total and not 20%, as the 20% VAT is 20% of the net price and not the gross. A £25,000 car would then be £20,833.33, which would show as £17,361.11 net and £3,472.22 VAT on the invoice.

A £25,000 car with VAT taken off is £20,833.33. If £20833.33 is the price the vehicle is sold at then the invoice will show £17,361.11 plus £3,472.22 VAT. Trust me I'm an Accountant ;-)

And Penpusher, you just beat me to it !