LED Bulb Upgrades for Superb II

The LEDs only work a certain way round. I had to physically cut and swap the two wires over (heatshrink is your friend).

I would suspect they cocked the original design up and didn't take proper note of whether the center cap was positive or ground and vice versa.

When I originally fitted them they didn't work, I pre ordered them and they didn't come with any instructions about reversing the wires.

I believe they now send them out with instructions that show you how to actually remove the pins in the connector, and swap the polarity that way - at least it's a bit more 'original' than either cutting wires, or adding resistors. But they are also the most expensive solution.

I was sent the instructions via email about swapping pins over in response to my complaint of them not working.

I opted to swap the wires as I've had a few bad experiences messing with pins and connectors in the past. They sometimes cause problems with bad connections after they have been messed about with so I chose to leave them well alone.

I was sent the instructions via email about swapping pins over in response to my complaint of them not working.

I opted to swap the wires as I've had a few bad experiences messing with pins and connectors in the past. They sometimes cause problems with bad connections after they have been messed about with so I chose to leave them well alone.

I've actually just ordered a pair - 10% discount on Superskoda for the first week of March

So about £35 then?

Let us know how you get on.

37 euros, which PayPal wanted to convert to £33.09. Rejected their conversion, in favour of my card issuer (Allied Irish) who always give a better exchange rate.

Charging a 1 euro PayPal handling fee was a bit sneaky - they've learned their marketing from a leading Irish budget airline - show a low price, then hit them with payment charges!

hello folks,

intriguing thread, and I am looking to take the plunge with the DRLs, but it is a bit of a case of "can't see the wood for the trees" now, as I am a bit confused with all the talk of different bulbs and resistors and polarity etc. Being a bit of a dunce, would someone be so kind to let me know if I had a 61 reg, Superb 1.8TSi and wanted to change the DRL's then what bulbs am i looking at getting?! I do not know whether mine is MY11 or 10 or 12 etc! Sorry!

I do like the look of the £15 ebay CREE 1156 LED Alltronix ones. Are these the ones that seem to be ok, error free, rust free and so on!?

Thanks in advance and apologies for being a thicko! :)

I've had the Alltronix LEDs in and running since last Sept. No errors...no resistors...no messing about with wires etc. I just fitted the bulbs and they've worked perfectly since (MY12 Elegance estate). Of course I'll probably have a problem the next I go anywhere now I've said this?!

@ SuperT - I don't think there is any hard and fast guide to say that in this model year (MY) car these bulbs will work and in this MY car these will work. It really is a chase of suck it and see. There are a number of threads which show the different bulbs that members have tried, although the Alltronix ones do seem to be fairly good at showing no errors (except for my car). Some of the MY11 cars do appear to be temprimental when it comes to LEDs, whereas other MY cars before and after seem OK.

I've put the OBC resistors back into my recently purchased Alltronix ones and everything is back to normal.

I've had the Alltronix LEDs in and running since last Sept. No errors...no resistors...no messing about with wires etc. I just fitted the bulbs and they've worked perfectly since (MY12 Elegance estate). Of course I'll probably have a problem the next I go anywhere now I've said this?!

+1. Fitted 19th Sept, still nice and white. MY2012 (build week 20) estate.

Happy days then, might give it til pay day and get a set of the Alltronix ones and see what happens. Might not tell SWMBO how much they are though.... :)

Thanks to your replies!

Tried Alltronix below.....and got errors

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-Q5-382-1156-BA15S-LED-REVERSE-BULB-9-5W-450-LUMENS-BRIGHTEST-AVAILABLE-/330833286044?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d0733539c

to be fair they swapped for "new" alternatives.....which also showed errors.

Running a pair of these in DRL's and fine after 3 weeks........hope they continue!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170729737146?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Down side was I bought a pair of resistors but have not needed them.....but will keep them handy just in case!

I replaced the map reading lights with these LED wedges earlier today:

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=130807390431&globalID=EBAY-GB

I've used them before - about twice as bright as the filament bulbs, and a nice warmish white. About 3,500 to 4,000k colour temp to my eye (I know the description says they are yellower than that).

Edited by JakeBlade

Update on the Superskoda LED DRLs. Appear identical to some found on eBay at £20 for 2. Found it very easy to reverse the polarity of the connector using a cut-off paper clip (as per the Superskoda instructions).

Disappointed that they still trigger a bulb failure warning on my 2012 MY Superb, but only if ignition is turned on without starting the engine. Start the engine immediately, and you don't get the warning.

Disappointed that they still trigger a bulb failure warning on my 2012 MY Superb, but only if ignition is turned on without starting the engine. Start the engine immediately, and you don't get the warning.

Some of the ones I tried did that but when the auto lights started kicking on and off, the errors re-appeared.

Hi

New here but fitted these LED DRL's to my Superb II:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230870337884?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Great beam from single CREE lens & NO errors. I have not fitter ballest resistors. All run very cool (& cool light).

Much better than DRL filiment bulbs.

Had already tried other multi-led bulbs & were not bright enough. They also errored canbus.

As we are talking about lights, and yes I know all the ins and outs about fitting them, what HID H7s would you recommend, I had them in my Octy but the H7 connector to the dipped beam is different on the Superb, or would the basic H7 that uses a spring wire to hold the bulb be suffice.

Dont know if I have daylight running lights as the only way I can get the lights in the bumper to come on is to go to sidelights and pull the switch out

Now been running CREE Q5 382 1156 9.5W from Ebay seller alltronix_ltd. They are super bright.... much brighter than original filament lamps, even in bright sunlight.

They consume about 400mA @ 12Volt which is about 4.8W... not the 9.5W the seller states, but have been error free since installation some 2 months ago.

DCC & Gizmo - Are these still working ok without errors?

DCC & Gizmo - Are these still working ok without errors?

yes no problems..... super bright !

Also ones mentioned in my post #49 had no problems on a four week test... light output about the same.

Both types look good in the Superb's clear DRL housing

If anything the #49 types sometimes look brighter from the side as they have three radial cree leds

So these are the ones then? 382 fitment?

I had this before but it shut down after 5 mins of running them as drl. Guess it's more suitable for reverse light.

Anyone on Cree led observe this on their car?

• 4 weeks later...

Hola, been lurking around this eminent forum about a year now and drive a superb -11 170hk 4x4 and feels its about time to change drl to something better looking.

So i´d like some suggestions on what dlr light to get, previous posts have mentioned this ebay lights

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3cca5bfa27

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1439.l2649

ideas and thoughs?

regards /b

Edited by bigwhite

My experience of the SuperSkoda ones (40 euros) is that if you start the engine immediately, they don't give an error, but if you delay a couple of seconds with the ignition in the 'on' position, they will. Have also had them throw up an error a couple of times, even when starting immediately.