LED Bulb Upgrades for Superb II

Arti, Is it twice as bright as the original alltronix one? I thought about that new bulb, but in the end I bought the ones from hids direct.

No errors and a nice crisp white. A more direct beam than with the incandescent MTECs. I also got sent a single w5w Cree bulb sent in error, which I've tried as a sidelight bulb. Again, no errors, but I can't decide if I like bright white as a sidelight or not. Used as a parking light, it sort of looks like one of those bright bike lights coming towards you...

I'd say it was twice as bright, but to be fair the front of my car was parked close to the garage door so I couldn't stand back to judge them side by side too well. Though I've always classed the 450 lumens ones I have in currently as bright enough.

The main reason for running them is to stop the (high) local population of Honda Jazz drivers from pulling out of side roads in front of me because they didn't notice me driving towards them. In the month that I had them switched off due to the bulb out, it seemed to make a difference which is what finally prompted me to order a replacement.

10 minutes into my journey this morning and I've got a bulb warning for the resurrected old 450 lumens bulb. Clearly my healing hands aren't as good as they first seemed. Looks like the new Alltronix bulb will be needed after all.

Like you Jake I'm going for the hids-direct bulbs, primarily because I can't be bothered to make my own!  Making LED bike lights is a hobby of mine.  The single LED type like this is always going to perform much better than the multiple LEDs smattered all over as they can focus the light much better and project it forwards.  Indeed these bulbs have a projector lens built-in so they are not really using the reflector in the DRLs.  The multiple emitter bulbs fire sideways into the DRL reflector but not from the reflector's focal point, so they are shining in all directions rather than focussing the light forwards.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

The same thing happened to me recently (post #146), so I ordered one of these to try http://www.alltronix.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=517 .

I went to fit the new one today and while I was there with the light fitment out, I thought I'd try the "dead" bulb in the opposite side fitment. It worked perfectly, so I tried it back in the original fitment and it still worked. So now I have a resurrected bulb and a spare new one.

As a unscientific direct comparison - the new Alltronix bulb was brighter and whiter that the old one.

Thanks, will retry with the broken one before ordering new ones.

• 1 month later...

I've had the Alltronix LEDs in and running since last Sept. No errors...no resistors...no messing about with wires etc. I just fitted the bulbs and they've worked perfectly since (MY12 Elegance estate). Of course I'll probably have a problem the next I go anywhere now I've said this?!

It didn't take long, but within weeks of singing their praises I started to have problems.

I've not been on the forum for a while but wanted to let others (especially artichoke273 and jpalo) know of my recent experience with the Alltronix LEDs I fitted in Sep12. I ordered these...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-Q5-382-1156-BA15S-LED-REVERSE-BULB-9-5W-450-LUMENS-BRIGHTEST-AVAILABLE-/330720882406?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:GB:3160. Sorry if this get a little long but it may help others. And I need a bit of further advice as well.

It was possibly the end of March, possibly when we had all that snow, 'cos I remember it being bleedin' cold, that I got my first bulb error warning. True enough, no reflection from the car in front's bumper, and my left DRL is not lit. This happened a number of times...some days it would work and others it wouldn't and then it stopped working for good (or so it seemed), and finally I got fed up looking like a berk with 1 light out so put the original incandescent bulbs back in. I emailed Alltronix in May but he replied he'd have to see the bulb to test before any further discussion. Fair enough and last week I was in the north Nottinghamshire area and made a small detour to Worksop to see Alltronix before the 12 month warranty on the bulbs expired.

Imagine my surprise and frustration when he plugged it in to his test rig and it lit immediately. Well, that's annoying, reminding myself of all the times I'd taken a car to the garage with some vague intermittent fault that I couldn't demonstrate as the damned machine would not display the symptoms at the appropriate time. John, his name was, and I was annoyed but it’s not his fault. He can’t do anything if there’s no obvious fault and although he mixed up the good and ‘bad’ bulbs they both worked in his test apparatus. Before setting off I though I’d refit the LEDs to prove to myself that I wasn’t making stuff up. 5 minutes later with both fitted, switched the ignition on and Hey Presto, no errors. Funny? Ran around to the front of the car…both LEDs are lit. Now I’m confused. Ring any bells, Artichoke273? It was a short drive to the next stop waiting for bulb errors. No errors. Spent 2-3 hours in Bolsover. Then a 40 minute drive back to Ilkeston with no bulb errors. Stopped at Tesco and then it started again and the ‘bad’ bulb has not lit since. Not in the car, that is.

It got me thinking. Perhaps these bulbs are not actually canbus compatible but sometimes they work anyway. Mine worked perfectly for 6 months before the first problem. One of them still works with no errors. I wondered if there was something in the bulb or the car electronics that actually prevented the bulb from lighting if the car THOUGHT there was a problem. £3.50 later, I have my own fused test rig that I can plug into the 12V supply in my caravan that’s still sitting on the drive. No fancy electronics…just a bog standard 12V DC supply. Plug it in and…BINGO, the bulb works. Take the bulb out and put it back in the car and it doesn’t work. Back into the van and it works. I left it the van today whilst doing some other things and a couple of hours later it was still lit. So the bulb appears to be ok but it won’t work anymore in the car. Whilst I was messing around I bunged a multi-meter in the circuit and it was drawing just 0.39A. So with my caravan battery meter showing 12.5V, the LED is taking just under 5W of power.

It seems that artichoke273 and others may have a similar issue and maybe their bulbs are not completely dead but don’t always want to come back to life.

It seems I may have to fit some resistors after all, but will this work? I’m certainly not going to start chopping or swapping wires so need a plug and play solution. I have seen some of these on ebay etc but can anyone advise what will work and what’s good value etc. I see Alltronix also have one at £6.99 each which seems like a good price. See http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1156-382-OBC-RESISTOR-FIX-LEAD-LED-382-P21W-FITMENT-BULBS-/330984645671?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4d1038e427#ht_2034wt_1141

Any advice, anyone?

Cheers Simon

Yes, sounds very familiar Simon. The resurrected bulb lasted a few more days before another bulb out warning. Swapped in the new Alltronix one and so far has been OK. Recently had my first bulb warning on the opposite side but checked and that bulb was working again.

The fact that the same pattern is playing out for both bulbs suggests it's an usage time dependant fault/weakness. I was thinking mine was caused by the hot weather, but then if your one went in the snow that wouldn't apply (unless it's extremes of temperature). If it's the car causing problems then I'm not sure why we could run error free for 6 to 9 months? The mystery continues.

The OBC canceller looks interesting but I guess we then wouldn't know it the DRLs were failing intermittently.

I have these fitted in the side lights, puddle lights, interior lights and footwell lights. Been in for 2 weeks now and no problems in the side lights. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300694336022?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Slightly different situation I think. These are sold as canbus compatible (albeit with a disclaimer), and I believe only the side lights in your list are ECU monitored?

Slightly different situation I think. These are sold as canbus compatible (albeit with a disclaimer), and I believe only the side lights in your list are ECU monitored?

Only sidelights are monitored. But having tried LED ones in the past on my Octavia they never lasted more then 2 minutes before a bulb error. I tried one on a chance and work nicely.

As this thread was about bulb upgrades in general, I thought I'd add what I successfully used.

Edited by Nathanio

Has anyone else noticed that in urban traffic people seem to take umbrage to you following behind with bright DRL's?? Don't have same issue in wife's Fiat 500 and 4x4. The 500 has DRL's too, but usual dull halogens and Defender has none.

My driving style is the same in all three. I think I'll go back to turning them off.

Cheers

Steve

As per post #157 above can anyone advise or report experience with OBC resistors. Just wondering if any pitfalls before I go this route.

Ran them for a number of months without any issues - didn't want to get into splicing resistors in so purchased replacement bulb holders and built a kit to fit inline. However have since removed everything and reverted to standard bulbs.

What are the best LEDs for a MY11 DRL. I don't want to have to recode or get errors?

Thanks all

In my experience, the MY11 is very hit and miss. I had a set from UltraLEDs which worked fine without an errors but have also had sets which do fail. The MY11 is very problematic, more so than other MYs.

Ran them for a number of months without any issues - didn't want to get into splicing resistors in so purchased replacement bulb holders and built a kit to fit inline. However have since removed everything and reverted to standard bulbs.

In my experience, the MY11 is very hit and miss. I had a set from UltraLEDs which worked fine without an errors but have also had sets which do fail. The MY11 is very problematic, more so than other MYs.

Thanks. Which set did you try and how long did they last?

Thanks. Which set did you try and how long did they last?

All sorts, my very first set were from UltraLEDs but I've also tried ones from Alltronix and HIDSDirect - pretty much everything in this thread, even MTEC!

The UltraLEDs were the only ones which worked without any bulb errors and they lasted approx. 10 months before one gave up the ghost - anything after this just hasn't worked without resistors. AS I said before the MY11 is very problematic and seems to suffer more than other MY cars.

• Like 1

I think part of the problem in identifying a reliable bulb is that the actual makes and models hiding behind these brands is changing so rapidly, depending on what's coming out of China at the time.  By the time one of us has run the bulbs for a reasonable length of time (even 12 months+), that particular model/circuitry has long gone.  For me a reasonable time on a £15+ LED bulb should be 8,000-10,000 hours (as stated in the sales spec).  My Maxidot tells me I average 40 mph, so that would be 320k - 400k miles of use!  I'll be sure to report back on how it's going in 2039.... but I reckon I'll be back with another report of a bulb failure long before then.

• 2 weeks later...

One of my Alltronix bulbs - purchased from eBay - has now started to fail...  It will come on when you start the car but then go off again about a minute later so not sure if that's because of the car's 'Power On Self Test' (to use IT speak) finds an fault and disables it or whether it's just coincidence and because the bulb is now duff.  I also get a bulb failure light on the dash and 'check right daylight running light' message on the MFD.

When I started getting the error in late August, the bulb hadn't actually gone out - we happened to be following another family member and we had walkie-talkies between the too cars...I know...what are the chances...and they told me all the lights were good - but then sure enough the bulb started to fail/go out in time.

I've swapped the bulbs over on the car and the error follows the bulb, which makes me think it's a simple bulb error rather than anything else.

I've contacted Alltronix via eBay and will see what they say with regards to replacement/returns - they've been working fine for just over 8-months...

Will keep you all updated!

Out of those go for the Cree ones… they are much brighter, from my experience the normal SMD bulbs are nowhere near bright enough.

Personally I fitted a pair of these 4,500K filament bulbs, they are MUCH whiter… very close to the OE xenon’s, not to mention a fraction of the price of the LED’s

+ 1 for 4500K filament bulbs.

I've just fitted a pair of these in place of the original H8 fog lights
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290738750051?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

and these in place of the H3 main beams:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280472220791?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649