Running 2 Stroke Oil in your VRS MK1

I recently started using Castrol Actevo 2 Stroke oil in my Fabia VRS MK1 every time I fill up at around a 200 to 1 ratio so a full tank would equate to around 200 - 225 ml of oil, I have noticed improvements in economy, start up, engine pick up as well as less smoke.

This all came about after chatting to a friend of mine who has used it in his 2litre A3 S Line for around 4 months after a mate of his was in America and loads of people do it over there. I looked on a couple of diesel forums and it seems to be quite well known over here too but just wondered if anyone off here has done it and found similar results to me.

Basically the reason for running 2 Stroke in with your diesel is that it has a few extra detergents in it which help to clean your injectors it also helps diesel burn cleaner meaning less soot etc. etc. please note though the 2 stroke oil has to be a Jaso rating of FC or semi synthetic otherwise it will cause major issues with your fuel system.

Below is something i found on another forum from a German guy:-

Due to the pollution control measures of the EC diesel-oil is nearly sulphur free and contains up to 5% of bio-diesel. Sulphur has the property to grease the high pressure injection pump and the injectors. Without sulphur, the reduced greasing property of the new diesel has already shown negativ impacts on the long-term stability of the injectors and the high pressure pump. The pump manufacturers have tried to react by lining the moving parts of the pumps with teflon or other suitable material. However, the long term stability is still not achieved as with the old (sulphor contained) diesel.

The engine-research centre of a well known German car manufacurer has conducted some long term tests of diesel additives to find out whether any one of them will have an impact on the long term reliability of the diesel engine components. This introduction to explain were my information comes from.

The results of this research: any diesel additive of any manufacturer presently on the market is not worth the money!

BUT: 2-stroke oil, which we use in our motor saws, lawn mower or in 2-stroke motor engines has shown to have an extreme positive impact on diesel engines, if such 2-stroke oil is added to the diesel in a homoeophatic dosis of 1:200. In practical terms: 0,300 litre of 2-stroke oil into the 70l diesel tank. The 2-stroke oil will be absorbed by the diesel (emulsion) and grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors.

Besides this, the 2-stroke oil will keep the diesel engine clean, as it burnes cleaner as the diesel itself.

In other words, the 2-stroke oil has a much lower ash-content as diesel, when burned. This proven fact delays the DPF (diesel particulate (soot) filter) to clogg, and the "burn free" process of the DPF will be much less.

One more information: in Germany we have to present our cars every 2 years to the TUV -Technical Supervision Organisation - who will check, amongs others, the pollution of petrol and diesel engines.

The measured cloud-factor of a diesel engine without use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,95.

The same factor with the use of 2-stroke oil has been 0,47 - reduction of nearly half of the soot particles.

Besides this, the use of 2-stroke oil in the diesel will increase the milage by 3-5%.

I'm about to try some low ash 2 stroke in my diesel to see how it performs. I've used millers diesel fuel additive since my car was brand new 9 years ago and the engine runs like new! Well better than new actually as it has 75 bhp extra now.

I'd be hesitant to try something not proven by long-term use. Diesel injectors and fuel pumps are expensive items to replace. We know that veg oil works fine in some diesels, but will destroy the injectors and pump in another - for example.

if adding 2stroke oil to derv is so good and effective, why dont big manufacturers like VW AG do this as standard?

1) Legislation - car would be required to run on commonly available fuel types.

2) Cost - 99.9% of people wouldn't notice the difference or care to pay the extra.

J.

Because they don't make fuel they make cars lol!

Seriously though why don't vw ect re map there cars to 200 bhp, fit coil overs, fit lsd'd ect ect ???

i am aware they make cars not fuel, but like on many 2 stroke motorcycles, the oil goes in a seperate container to the fuel and the machine mixes the oil and fuel to the correct ratio. Also 2 stroke oil does not appear on the fuel recommendations in the user manual.

Because they don't make fuel they make cars lol!

Seriously though why don't vw ect re map there cars to 200 bhp, fit coil overs, fit lsd'd ect ect ???

Would be an interesting business model if they crippled all cars, and made power upgrades available like Windows anytime upgrade, lol. But someone would eventually crack it anyway/disgruntled ex employee release info.

Coil overs have limited appeal, not really suited to family cars.

LSD = 4x4 (well near enough for 99% of average consumer's purposes).

Edited by anewman

I've experimented using 2stroke in my Fabia, used it for 5 tankfuls.

I didn't experience any benefits as described above.

I did notice increased smoke output for those 5 trail tankfuls however, which can't be a good sign as the car never smoked previous to that as it was always run on BP ultimate (and occasionally millers additive).

So in my experience, I'd happily say 2stroke didn't work for me.

I ran 2 stroke in my old Fabia for 3 years, and 45k miles.

After the first bottle, I noticed:

Less smoke on startup, and WOT

Slightly better fuel consumption

Engine started easier, and ran much smoother, and quieter

A big thumbs up from me, and now running it in our Mk4 Golf. Just picked it up, will report back again :)

I'd really like to give this ago , but would like to see it tryed and tested first . As I don't think I have the bottle to start chucking 2 stroke in , could this really work ? Does it work ? And have you not had any problems what so ever since you've done this ???

I have done over 1500 miles so far and the i have had nothing but positive effects from using the 2 stroke oil, and i also no a guy who has been doing this from the first day he bought a brand new top of the range Focus diesel and it is now three and a half years old... My friend who uses it in his A3 Audi has a 500 mile round trip to work every week and must have done over 2500 miles since he started using it and he too has noticed only benefits and no adverse effects to using it, like me he has seen increased economy, quieter and easier start up and running less burnout cycles from his dpf and found it to be more responsive, all i will stress though is make sure you use the Jaso FC rated oil which the Catrol Actevo 2T that i use is.

After the postings referred to by Lycanthrope I read up on this and was persuaded by finding that Mercedes put 2 stroke into their cars before marathon Russian driving. Since then I've been using it. Not anything special just 2 stroke cheap. No problems over 20K, but doubt that it made much if any difference to economy etc; just like the idea of a bit more lubrication in the system. May try the recommended "super" 2 stroke and check for difference.

Did this last year on a trip over to Hungary, made up 5 bottles of two stroke and acetone and kept them in the boot.

Best fuel economy I've ever had - 67 mpg over 3500 miles.

But now too lazy to do it on a weekly basis, but would recommend it

Karl

• Like 1

Another convert here! :happy: :happy: :happy:

Only done 50 miles, but I've noticed a big decrease in smoke levels, the engine sounds slightly less rattly too.

All I need to do now is find a way of storing it in the boot in 200ml shots ready to add immediately before filling up. A product that doesn't cost £9 per litre would help too - Has anyone found a product with the same spec that if less costly than the Castrol Act Evo?

I'll report back after some more miles.

Joe

Another convert here! :happy: :happy: :happy:

Only done 50 miles, but I've noticed a big decrease in smoke levels, the engine sounds slightly less rattly too.

All I need to do now is find a way of storing it in the boot in 200ml shots ready to add immediately before filling up. A product that doesn't cost £9 per litre would help too - Has anyone found a product with the same spec that if less costly than the Castrol Act Evo?

I'll report back after some more miles.

Joe

Asda sells two stroke oil that meets the specs we need for adding to diesel for £5 a litre.

Used some the other day for the first time but only a short run so to early to see any benefits. Have been running millers for the last 123k miles though.

Well After adding around 300ml to the tank on my last fill up I can report that my average mpg has increased by 5-6mpg according to the display, first time i've ever seen it indicate 60mpg+. 300 miles covered and still between 1/2 and 3/4 left in the tank.... Not sure on any other benefits yet as the car was already smooth running and first time starting. Nearly on 139k miles, people are very surprised at how well it runs, smoother and quieter than my mates Ibiza 130pd with 70k. I had a go in a new Ibiza FR with the 2.0 tdi engine, still rather have mine :thumbup:

So yeah if that increase in mpg is a direct result of the 2 stroke then I'm sold! It was comma btw, jaso etc approved

Edited by VRSD30