Water marks

mandp

Thank you for this, Whoosh. But I've just looked into it and its rather an expensive solution. The filter will cost me over £50 and will only do 20 rinses before it needs replacing...here in Lincolnshire its VERY hard water you see. But as I say, thank you for the suggestion.

A good LSP is always essential.......A good drying after a wash and then a QD and you wont have any spotting

Do you have an example of an `LSP` (whatever that means)? Also, surely if I haven't managed to prevent water marks forming during the drying process, its too late and a `QD` (which I think means `Quick Detailer`) will make no difference?

• 1 month later...

My usual wash routine is to pressure wash the car to get rid of most of the grit, then snowfoam immediately (I use Valet Pro Advanced Neutral) followed by a wash and dry.

The thing is, being as the car is wet, the snowfoam doesn't `dwell` for more than a minute or two before its all on the floor.

So, I was thinking about pressure washing the car and letting it dry naturally before I snowfoam and wash... in the hope that the foam stays on a dry car longer. The trouble with that idea is that when dried naturally it will be covered in water marks (I live in a very hard water area). So here is my question...

Will snowfoaming, washing and drying remove the dreaded marks?

Provided you dry it properly of course; otherwise you will be removing the old watermarks with your shampooing and then putting new ones on!

Yeah, I tend to dry very quickly preceded by a little spray of QD. Thanks again.

I find that if the car is well sealed then I don't get water marks. They are something I haven't seen on my car for a long time.

You must live in a soft water area then. Here, where I live, they're the bain of my car cleaning life.

As stated in the other thread, using a product like Megs Last Touch will help to dry the car quicker and reduce your water spotting problems, regardless of how hard the water is in your area........

As you have found even using something liek AG Fast Glass will help this but this is a very expensive way of doing it.........:(

• 3 years later...

Sorry to reserrect an old thread but I had some annoying water-spotting when I washed the car at the weekend. After some research I found Currys are selling a small magnetic water conditioner for £8 (reduced from £20). With some hosepipe adapters I'm going to fit it to the tap-side of the pressure washer. Haven't tried it yet, so can't say how effective it is but thought some others might be interested.

Edited by webweasel
  • Like 2

Sorry to reserrect an old thread but I had some annoying water-spotting when I washed the car at the weekend. After some research I found Currys are selling a small magnetic water conditioner for £8 (reduced from £20). With some hosepipe adapters I'm going to fit it to the tap-side of the pressure washer. Haven't tried it yet, so can't say how effective it is but thought some others might be interested.

I'll be interested in your success with this, chalky area where I live, so pretty hard water. I'm tempted to try a final rinse using water that's been through a Brita tap filter as that's carbon filtration I believe.

I doubt that you will notice any difference at all...the idea of these magnetic conditioners is to change the way that hardness minerals are deposited  AFTER HEATING / BOILING eg in a kettle or immersion-heater tank. They do not soften water...the water retains the same amount of calcium, magnesium, carbonate and bicarbonate ions - which, on evaporation, leave the residues called "water marks".

If these conditioners are to have any results at all, they depend on very strong (electro)magnetic force acting on relatively small/slow flow through them.

One more point (for nick)...carbon filtration doesn't remove hardness minerals - it removes odd tastes and odours. Ion-exchange resin removes the calcium/magnesium ions.

If you are looking to use Ion-Exchange Resin you can buy kits like this: -

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/aqua-gleam/30ppm-de-ionising-water-filter-12.aspx

However how long they last is dependent on the water quality where you like and could work out expensive, I should add that these aren't the only offering just one that I have seen.  

• Like 1

If you are looking to use Ion-Exchange Resin you can buy kits like this: -

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/aqua-gleam/30ppm-de-ionising-water-filter-12.aspx

However how long they last is dependent on the water quality where you like and could work out expensive, I should add that these aren't the only offering just one that I have seen.  

See post 3 :angel:

If you've got a wax or sealant on the car have you tried taking the end off the hose and rinsing the car at vet low pressure. You should find the water sheets off and leaves very little water to dry

Sorry to disappoint you but you have just wasted £8.

Those magnetic devices are designed to help stop scale sticking to boilers and showers, they do not remove the hardness from the water so the water will still be the same. Even if fitted directly before a boiler the effectiveness seems questionable. 

A few months ago I fitted 'proper' ion exchange water softener and it works very well. My water is 100% soft and you can really tell when getting in the bath. I primarily bought it to keep the bathrooms and shower clean and help my appliances last longer. I haven't tried it on the car yet as its not feeding downstairs at the moment.

They are expensive though (£600 for a high flow rate) so its a lot to fork out just to stop water marks. You also have to add salt so it does have an ongoing cost as well

Edited by SuperbTWM

Sorry to disappoint you but you have just wasted £8.

Those magnetic devices are designed to help stop scale sticking to boilers and showers, they do not remove the hardness from the water so the water will still be the same. Even if fitted directly before a boiler the effectiveness seems questionable. 

A few months ago I fitted 'proper' ion exchange water softener and it works very well. My water is 100% soft and you can really tell when getting in the bath. I primarily bought it to keep the bathrooms and shower clean and help my appliances last longer. I haven't tried it on the car yet as its not feeding downstairs at the moment.

They are expensive though (£600 for a high flow rate) so its a lot to fork out just to stop water marks. You also have to add salt so it does have an ongoing cost as well

You've said (pretty much) the same as me, yesterday....post #42.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be interested in your success with this, chalky area where I live, so pretty hard water. I'm tempted to try a final rinse using water that's been through a Brita tap filter as that's carbon filtration I believe.

I tried the Brita water versus straight out of the tap on the glass top of the patio table. No difference in the residue that was left after allowing splashes to dry. Darn it. :swear: 

As Taxboy said, sheet the water (or use a watering can)

Buy a filter.

Use: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj-zNelg9LMAhUB6xoKHfotBCsQFggfMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.co.uk%2FDuragloss-505-Automotive-Water-Remover%2Fdp%2FB00G3CUYBY&usg=AFQjCNHZGxwrJ9bQxbDUk5mseqFkpEfGnQ&bvm=bv.121658157,d.d2s

(Which is what I use)

Dog dryer (ebay, that and its warm air so my hands are toasty) which is ideal for vents, wheels, mirrors etc

And you can always wash the car in the rain which is softer than tap water.

If you have room to do it, 3 water butts and use the last of the 3 to run the PW.

I rinse as I go along - wash roof, rinse roof, wash round windows, rinse, wash lower panels, rinse.

Then when fully clean and rinse I use Megs Last Touch prior to drying.

• Like 1