BMW 335d coupe, or VXR8 6.2 saloon?

chopper-lew

Well, im in a position where Ive came into a bit of cash and am looking to trade in my 2004 Fabia vRS for one of the above.

The VXR8 does crap MPG, but looks far better in my opinion, and definatly sounds better being a V8, and is 5 door. The tax is also in the top band.

The build quality is generally regarded as inferior to a BMW's, but still quite good. It is a simple, unstressed, tried and tested engine with few reliability issues.

The BMW has aprox half the the fuel costs of the VXR8, and half the tax,although servicing is about twice as much. It has far less power (282bhp Vs 430 bhp) but does have slightly more torque. Although with a cheap remap, the real world performance figures are going to be very similar to a VXR8.

The BMW is a lovely car, but does tend to blend in with every other BMW on the road.

The VXR8 is exclusive, there are very few of them, and folk will approach you to chat about your car. Cant see that happening in a BMW 3 series.

It is kind of a head/heart decision. I only do about 10,000 miles a year so although the VXR8 will undoubtly cost more to run, would it really be that much more?

Anyone got opinions on what they would buy?

There is absolutley no competition.

The VXR8 wins everyday of the week and twice on sundays!!!

ASk yourself these questions about each car:

1. Does this car look good?

2. Does this car sound like EuroFighter taking off when i give it the Beans?

3. Does it put a smile on my face?

4. Do i really give a **** about fuel economy when the whole world is due to blow up on December 21st this year anyway?

5. (In relation to the above question) Do I want to have some fun before i die.

I have driven a 5 series BMW that my Brother got recently, he gave me the keys and said go enjoy yourslef....

I took it about a mile and a half down the road and brought it straight back.

I hated it. I got back in My Skoda Superb (Which was half the proce of his BMW) and it was like going from Flip Flops to a pair of New Balence...(Runners will know what i mean)

If i was in your position pal, get the VXR8 and rip the stereo out of it because all you will want to hear is those sweet tones of that V8 purrrhhhhing......

PS: I nearly got one but my wife threatend me with a divorce, i said threaten me with something a bit more worse than that, she then quoted those three letters no father wants to hear ....C...S.....A.....

Edited by nczernus

Sorry, but I wouldn't want to be seen anywhere near a Vauxhall, even if it was a hairy-chest-thumping V8 VXR. There are V8s, and there are better V8s.

Wait till you have to drive everywhere in it and put up with a rattling, creaking dash, and MFI switch gear.

The BMW might be common, but it'll drive beautifully and put a smile on your face, without grating your teeth every drive like the Vauxhall would.

Just my opinion :sun:

• Like 1

From my previous days of owning a Veccy VXR and floating around the VXR-online website, I learned that many VXR-8 owners couldn't even get their cars off the drive in cold/icy weather.

Not sure if the BMW would be much better in the same conditions though?

There's a VXR8 not too far from me, that the owner uses as his 'toy'(after the sterility of a M-Benz) & enjoys immensely

What the hell!!, if you can afford it, & it's not an every day driver, go for it!! - rather than some anonymous 'blue-propellered' thing

We had a XKR, as a second car/'weekend toy' for a few years, & it was always great fun & sounded superb

A slight digression;

A few years ago, West Yorkshire Police ('Traffic') had a Monaro on test when they first started coming over.

It emptied the offices & workshops everytime it was starrted up, with everyone (who was there) from probationer PC to Supernintendo coming out to look at this beast

A source of mine tells me that every driver loved it, the mechanics like it for its comparative simplicity.............. (rated as best car since the Senator, barring Volvo T5)

Sadly the bean-counters couldn't get their Abacuses to say "Yes" to it :devil:

So, it never got taken on. Now, if the saloon had been available (& especially the estate version), it may have been a different story.......

Edited by Richard A Thackeray

Sorry, but I wouldn't want to be seen anywhere near a Vauxhall, even if it was a hairy-chest-thumping V8 VXR. There are V8s, and there are better V8s.

Wait till you have to drive everywhere in it and put up with a rattling, creaking dash, and MFI switch gear.

The BMW might be common, but it'll drive beautifully and put a smile on your face, without grating your teeth every drive like the Vauxhall would.

Just my opinion :sun:

This is why no one should buy a BMW!!!

They are like a tin opener that your grandad had which does the job day in day out.

The rattles you get off the VXR8 are its heart Beating!!

Clarkeson loved it!

But there again Clakeson is a C*ck!

I'd love a VXR8, but I would be paranoid wherever its left that it would be damaged or stolen whilst left unattended. This would worry me even more if parked outside in the open overnight, the risk of having a house breakin to take the keys etc.

Fuel economy will be nowhere near the officical figures, my 3.7 V8 Audi manages the giddy heights of 10MPG around town driven smoothly, which is terrible considering it averages 34MPG on a good run. Drive it with a little more aggression and you get 5-6 MPG at best. Big V8s are best at cruising along rather than around town.On a bad week thats around 230 miles from £120 worth of petrol.

Well, that's the best argument yet for the BMW!

I like Clarkson but i can see why people hate him.

He nearly always makes a decision about a car with his heart rather than his head but then he can afford to.

OP can you afford to? If not head says BMW.

Im thick as mince so VXR8 for me.

I have had 2 bmw's so a 3rd wouldnt excite me and variety is the spice of life, as they say.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I really am torn at the moment as A VXR8 is a dream of mine, and even though Im currently in a position to just about afford the running costs, I cant help feeling that (as mentioned in a previous post) I will start resenting it due to the running costs.

The More research I do, the more im swaying towards the 335d.

The tax cost for the R8 is now £475 a year and that is verging on insane.

Although their basic mechanics are sound and reliable, and servicing is cheap, I have found that consumables (brakes/suspension) are not so reliable or cheap, and dont last long.

Also, the VXR8's (being australian) dont come with certain things you'd expect on a large expensive saloon, like heated seats and wing mirrors - very handy here in scotland in the winter)

They are not undersealed either from the factory, somthing I would consider essential with the amount of salt put on our roads in the winter.

But all this aside, its the performance figures that are most supprising.

A remapped 335d (i would definatly have it remapped) - 219bhp per tonne and a VXR8 - 226 bhp per tonne.

Dosent seem like theres much in it really, except the remapped 335d has 507 lb-ft of torque, and the V8 'only' has 406 lb-ft. So in reality, a mapped 335d is probably gonna be faster in just about every situation.

Its basicly gonna come down my mood on the day when I come to hand over the cash!

Thanks for all the input guys.

I really am torn at the moment as A VXR8 is a dream of mine, and even though Im currently in a position to just about afford the running costs, I cant help feeling that (as mentioned in a previous post) I will start resenting it due to the running costs.

The More research I do, the more im swaying towards the 335d.

The tax cost for the R8 is now £475 a year and that is verging on insane.

Although their basic mechanics are sound and reliable, and servicing is cheap, I have found that consumables (brakes/suspension) are not so reliable or cheap, and dont last long.

Also, the VXR8's (being australian) dont come with certain things you'd expect on a large expensive saloon, like heated seats and wing mirrors - very handy here in scotland in the winter)

They are not undersealed either from the factory, somthing I would consider essential with the amount of salt put on our roads in the winter.

But all this aside, its the performance figures that are most supprising.

A remapped 335d (i would definatly have it remapped) - 219bhp per tonne and a VXR8 - 226 bhp per tonne.

Dosent seem like theres much in it really, except the remapped 335d has 507 lb-ft of torque, and the V8 'only' has 406 lb-ft. So in reality, a mapped 335d is probably gonna be faster in just about every situation.

Its basicly gonna come down my mood on the day when I come to hand over the cash!

Remember you cant compare torque of a diesel to torque of a petrol car as the gearing is different. Its torque at the wheel that counts therefore diesels need to produce more torque than petrols for the same amount of shove.

In fairness both cars are superb so there is hardly a wrong choice to be made.

When i was in the market for a mid size saloon i tested everything going and quite honestly if you dont buy a bmw 3/5 series then you must love inferior products because there is nothing any other car can do that one of the bmws doesnt, i now understand 100% why there are so many on the road nothing else even gets close!!!!!

• Like 3

When i was in the market for a mid size saloon i tested everything going and quite honestly if you dont buy a bmw 3/5 series then you must love inferior products because there is nothing any other car can do that one of the bmws doesnt, i now understand 100% why there are so many on the road nothing else even gets close!!!!!

I agree, they are amazing cars but the VXR8 is an "event" cant say that about a BMW. Plus the BMW V8's sound too refined i prefer the boomy american V8 in the VXR8, thats how a V8 should sound.

In fairness the sound is the only advantage the VXR8 has over the 335d.

I agree, they are amazing cars but the VXR8 is an "event" cant say that about a BMW. Plus the BMW V8's sound too refined i prefer the boomy american V8 in the VXR8, thats how a V8 should sound.

without a doubt i would love to own one too lol just the once mind

Wierdly, the wife is trying to push me towards the VXR8. Her opinion is I aint gonna shut about them till Ive owned one. The thing is, when we finally tie ourselves to a mortgage in the next 6 - 12 months, id have to sell it as I couldnt comfortably afford it any more. I would still be able to afford a 335d though, so wouldnt have to sell.

She is saying get an R8 for 6 months or so (to get it out of my system lol) then get a 335d. Problem is, I'd own it over the worst (winter) months, and probably loose substantial additional cash through buying/selling/advertising etc, plus its hassel you dont really need when your trying to buy a house.

Wierdly, the wife is trying to push me towards the VXR8. Her opinion is I aint gonna shut about them till Ive owned one. The thing is, when we finally tie ourselves to a mortgage in the next 6 - 12 months, id have to sell it as I couldnt comfortably afford it any more. I would still be able to afford a 335d though, so wouldnt have to sell.

She is saying get an R8 for 6 months or so (to get it out of my system lol) then get a 335d. Problem is, I'd own it over the worst (winter) months, and probably loose substantial additional cash through buying/selling/advertising etc, plus its hassel you dont really need when your trying to buy a house.

Booooooo. Youve made your mind up already. Take a risk and get it out your system then blame the wife when you lose thousands in 6 months.

Booooooo. Youve made your mind up already. Take a risk and get it out your system then blame the wife when you lose thousands in 6 months.

I change my mind more than a woman. All it'll take will one to pass me on the way home from work, with a wortec exhaust on full chat and i'll be sold.

Plus I do like your point about blaming the wife if it all goes pete tong hahaha!

VXR is a chevvy V8 anyway I think, not got much to do with Vx really.

If I could afford to run a petrol V8 what would I have...?

What about a Jag?

Edited by Aspman

VXR is a chevvy V8 anyway I think, not got much to do with Vx really.

If I could afford to run a petrol V8 what about a Jag?

I believe the jag V8 in the XK is supposed to sound imense. Really throaty.

I personally dont like the sound of the BMW V8 in the M3 it sounds really tinny.

Put the VXR8 engine in the BMW and buy that.

Edited by Jockdooshbag

I really think you are mental to ignore petrol BMW's, especially if you only do 10,000 miles a year. They are better drivers cars and far more reliable too.

As said before, you are not comparing like with like, a used M5 or M3 is the obvious competitor to a VXR8 and not a diesel.

All diesels are ultimately less interesting to drive and I have two of them in my household!