iPhone 5 or Next iPhone...

Fabia_19

It will certainly have a much higher FLRV point and IMHO a much lower RUV point.

That's fanboy love referenced value and real user value.

Personally it's totally underwealming, not worth money over the contract phones that are cheaper/free and just broke the dock lock in.

If you're going to break lock in to existing product such as the dock, you have to do it with a product that's the mutts nuts so people deal with it.

I don't see an investment in adapters and a new phone which offers little over a 4s is going to convince enough people.

Grudge much ;)

£144 is not small change and if you change your phone every couple of years, then it's costing you a good amount.

At £30 per month contract the iDevice isn't going to be free either.

I'm not saying people can't buy them, but I really don't get the must have the latest version of iNess every 6-12 months or I'm a failure in life mentality.

what kind of skanky holiday are you going on that's paid for with £144?

Give up with the iSheep nonsense. Can you not comprehend that some people have made a considered rational choice and bought apple products?

Yes, there are some obsessive apple fans who have more money than sense (iPod collectors spring to mind) but that's not everyone.

It's like playground name calling over whether the Spectrum or Commodore 64 is the better computer.

You haven't even got your facts right anyway. You won't need a new charger for work - all you'll need *if* you buy a new iPhone is a new USB to lightning cable that will just plug into the existing spare charger you have. That will be a couple of quid and is hardly going to make a big difference to your pocket or apple's profits.

If you're sharing the iCharger between the iPad and the iPhone (IIRC you get one with each, so you could easily have one for home and one for work) you won't have a "spare" anywhere. So you'll have nothing to plug your new cable into. So, either you'll be rummaging around changing cables or buying more chargers. Either way, you'll be parting with money that you don't need to part with. Moreover you're spending money to do something you already could before.

A couple of quid will make no difference, you're right, but a couple of quid across the iFlock adds up to rather a lot. Car makers do it too, a feature will be dropped and the price will stay the same. £10 on electric adjustable seats might not seem a lot, but across 250,000 cars, that's £2.5million quid. Not a small sum.

As for iSheep, you need only look at the first two posts of this thread. (no offence to the two members involved)

Apple could sell an empty box and the iSheep will be queueing up to buy it, and then trying to justify spending £200 on an empty box and how it's the best empty box they've ever had, even though the bottom falls out of it it they put anything in it, or it falls apart completley if they hold it in their other hand, or it falls apart if they sweat while carrying it.

A friend of mine has realised that moving from Apple won't be as easy as he thought, as iTunes has control of his music library. Freedom of "considered rational choice" (as you put it) should remain at all times. If you choose to leave, there should be no penalty and no pain involved. I moved from a Nokia E71 to the SGSII earlier this year. Totally painless. My Nokia car kit even works with my SGSII (took less than a minute to get working). If I chose to have a Ford instead of a Skoda as my next car (heaven forfend), I buy a Ford, get in it and drive. No adapting things from Skoda to Ford, no Skoda saying "you can't have your CDs or sunglasses".

That's how easy the world should be. No-one else puts you in the straight-jacket Apple does. Apple will update the operating system of your property (that which you have paid for with your money) if they decide to remove a feature or counter some threat they percieve (Jail-breaking for example). Can you imagine the uproar if you took your car to a garage and it came back with windy windows and the air-con removed because someone else has decided you can't have them any more? And yet the iFlock are quite happy to tolerate this for no more reason than "it's a shiney thing".

There was no *need* for Lightning. From what I've read, it's inferior to it's predecessor, but it'll keep you locked in. Apple may not get your £25 from not buying the adaptor, but given Apple's "protective" nature of their "innovations" all those little clone adaptors will have an Apple license, so even then, part of your money ends up back with them. Ker-ching! Locking you all in is great marketing and a fantastic revenue generator, and my hat is tipped to the Apple marketing department for getting people in such a frenzy (back to the first two posts) over kit that brings nothing to the table, but gets you to put your hand in your pocket for your cash.

When someone writes that they've sat down and rationally and coldly looked at all the phones on the market, and their respective accessories, and then decides that the iPhone is best for them, I shan't brand them as part of the iFlock. Those that decided that they simply must have the iPhone, even before it was announced deserve everything the Apple does to them,

And for the record: The Spectrum was way superior to the Commodore 64. :p

• Like 2

If you're sharing the iCharger between the iPad and the iPhone (IIRC you get one with each, so you could easily have one for home and one for work) you won't have a "spare" anywhere. So you'll have nothing to plug your new cable into. So, either you'll be rummaging around changing cables or buying more chargers. Either way, you'll be parting with money that you don't need to part with. Moreover you're spending money to do something you already could before.

A couple of quid will make no difference, you're right, but a couple of quid across the iFlock adds up to rather a lot. Car makers do it too, a feature will be dropped and the price will stay the same. £10 on electric adjustable seats might not seem a lot, but across 250,000 cars, that's £2.5million quid. Not a small sum.

As for iSheep, you need only look at the first two posts of this thread. (no offence to the two members involved)

Apple could sell an empty box and the iSheep will be queueing up to buy it, and then trying to justify spending £200 on an empty box and how it's the best empty box they've ever had, even though the bottom falls out of it it they put anything in it, or it falls apart completley if they hold it in their other hand, or it falls apart if they sweat while carrying it.

A friend of mine has realised that moving from Apple won't be as easy as he thought, as iTunes has control of his music library. Freedom of "considered rational choice" (as you put it) should remain at all times. If you choose to leave, there should be no penalty and no pain involved. I moved from a Nokia E71 to the SGSII earlier this year. Totally painless. My Nokia car kit even works with my SGSII (took less than a minute to get working). If I chose to have a Ford instead of a Skoda as my next car (heaven forfend), I buy a Ford, get in it and drive. No adapting things from Skoda to Ford, no Skoda saying "you can't have your CDs or sunglasses".

That's how easy the world should be. No-one else puts you in the straight-jacket Apple does. Apple will update the operating system of your property (that which you have paid for with your money) if they decide to remove a feature or counter some threat they percieve (Jail-breaking for example). Can you imagine the uproar if you took your car to a garage and it came back with windy windows and the air-con removed because someone else has decided you can't have them any more? And yet the iFlock are quite happy to tolerate this for no more reason than "it's a shiney thing".

There was no *need* for Lightning. From what I've read, it's inferior to it's predecessor, but it'll keep you locked in. Apple may not get your £25 from not buying the adaptor, but given Apple's "protective" nature of their "innovations" all those little clone adaptors will have an Apple license, so even then, part of your money ends up back with them. Ker-ching! Locking you all in is great marketing and a fantastic revenue generator, and my hat is tipped to the Apple marketing department for getting people in such a frenzy (back to the first two posts) over kit that brings nothing to the table, but gets you to put your hand in your pocket for your cash.

When someone writes that they've sat down and rationally and coldly looked at all the phones on the market, and their respective accessories, and then decides that the iPhone is best for them, I shan't brand them as part of the iFlock. Those that decided that they simply must have the iPhone, even before it was announced deserve everything the Apple does to them,

And for the record: The Spectrum was way superior to the Commodore 64. :p

would the official Skoda accessories you paid good money for fit your Ford? almost certainly not. would the alloy wheels (for example) that you paid to have on your mk1 Octavia fit straight onto your mk2 Octavia? nope. OMG!

Grudge much ;)

No I'd rather have a phone that lasted a week or two. (Hi Nokia E51/6310i/E52 :) )

The smart phones I've had have always been work phones and last time I was offered an iPhone or Android and decided against the iPhone. I actually prefer the blackberry for e-mail, but It's up again soon, so I could chose an iPhone, although I just don't see why I would have a strong desire to have one.

what kind of skanky holiday are you going on that's paid for with £144?

£144 would hire you a static caravan for a family with kids at croyde bay for a few days. Granted it's not much, but it's more than some people get. When you see all and sundry (including those who appear to not be working) with an iPhone you have to ask.

To be honest, I don't have a problem with people buying an iPhone, it's a choice. What I find so ridiculous is you get an army of people buying it before it's already out. Then an army of people buying a 5 from a 4s from a 4 from a 3GS and upgrading every time the new one is out, at a great expense and contract tie in.

I mean the 5 offers almost nothing over a 4S once you put iOS 6 on the 4S, so why bother? Is it really worth paying a couple of hundred and locking yourself into a new contract over that?

If you are after a new phone or maybe had a 3 or something, then maybe it's worth while.

The I have to upgrade because it's the new shiny thing that's the same as the old shiny thing but with a bigger number just.. well I don't get it!

Edited by cheezemonkhai

To be honest, I don't have a problem with people buying an iPhone, it's a choice. What I find so ridiculous is you get an army of people buying it before it's already out. Then an army of people buying a 5 from a 4s from a 4 from a 3GS and upgrading every time the new one is out, at a great expense and contract tie in.

I mean the 5 offers almost nothing over a 4S once you put iOS 6 on the 4S, so why bother? Is it really worth paying a couple of hundred and locking yourself into a new contract over that?

If you are after a new phone or maybe had a 3 or something, then maybe it's worth while.

The I have to upgrade because it's the new shiny thing that's the same as the old shiny thing but with a bigger number just.. well I don't get it!

This. It's actually frightening how many will buy this phone even before it's out to try. I don't buy any expensive gadget unless I can try it first

What I find amazing is the number of people who moan about cuts and hard to live, but have the shiniest new gadgets.

I know I'm getting on a bit, but you know you can't have everything all of the time.

If times are tough, maybe your shiny gadget has to wait a bit.

I'm not sure you can blame Apple for people's bad budgeting though.

The sheer amount of hate you get from some people just because you've made the personal choice to buy Apple rather than Android is amazing.

You generally only ever hear Apple fans saying how great an apple product is and why you should buy one. But you always hear Android/Windows Phone users saying how crap Apple is and how much better than the Evil Fruit Phone™ their choice is and why Apple users must be stupid. It almost seems like a form of bullying.

I loved Symbian, then I got an iPhone (3Gs) and loved that. I've tried The SII and really didn't get on with it, so I got a 4s. I plan to wait for the 5s before upgrading as it doesn't seem worthwhile right now. Does this really make me a sheep that doesn't understand the value of money and an idiot for not getting a phone that can be rooted and can do multiple things that I'm not already missing in my daily life?

I'm not sure you can blame Apple for people's bad budgeting though.

The sheer amount of hate you get from some people just because you've made the personal choice to buy Apple rather than Android is amazing.

You generally only ever hear Apple fans saying how great an apple product is and why you should buy one. But you always hear Android/Windows Phone users saying how crap Apple is and how much better than the Evil Fruit Phone™ their choice is and why Apple users must be stupid. It almost seems like a form of bullying.

I loved Symbian, then I got an iPhone (3Gs) and loved that. I've tried The SII and really didn't get on with it, so I got a 4s. I plan to wait for the 5s before upgrading as it doesn't seem worthwhile right now. Does this really make me a sheep that doesn't understand the value of money and an idiot for not getting a phone that can be rooted and can do multiple things that I'm not already missing in my daily life?

Like I said, my amazement is at people upgrading without even knowing the specs or going from a perfectly fine almost no feature different 4S to a 5.

I just can't comprehend by some people are sufficiently washed to spend £500 and/or sign up to another 24 months.

Your reasoning makes sense. The I've got a 4S so I'll wait to the 5S/6/whatever they call it makes sense. I am just amazed at people who upgrade.

The cult of apple is strong, so they're a good example, but you get the same with SII, must have SIII too.

would the official Skoda accessories you paid good money for fit your Ford? almost certainly not.

No, but then it wouldn't stop me from getting the Ford either. Although several of the updates to the Ford have migrated to the Skoda (I had a Focus, now an Octavia) At no point did I go to remove something and the voice of Henry said "no, you can't take that with you". Neither do either of them say that you can only fill up with their fuel. I drained the Focus' tank of diesel (leaving a 2 gallons in there) the day I got the Octy. The diesel that was in the Focus worked fine in the Octy, as it should be.

The accessories from one car may not fit the other, but they have enhanced the car they were put on. There are times that this will also be realised in the sale of the car.

Unless you have more money than sense, you keep your car for some time as it's a major expense. If you have added to the ownership experience, the chances are you'll have recouped some of the cost by selling the old ones (if you've changed the alloys, you'll probably have sold the old ones as well. Not something you can easily do with the iPhone.) The point is Apple are all about getting as much money as possible: Use the Common interface we signed up for? Nah, let's have another proprietary interface that we can make money on.

Another neat little tie-in appears to be the synch system. My boss has a 32GB iPad 2 and a 16GB iPhone 4GS. The iPad has filled the iPhone up by synching the apps between the two, regardless of whether you use them on the other device or not. Net result: my boss needs a new phone. No option but to stay with iPhone as everything's already locked into Apple.

Oh and iTunes, whilst you can leave your CD collection to your children, it seems you can't do the same with your iTunes collection. Apple will have that back when you pop off. Again, what you've bought is not yours.

Personally I don't care what you spend your hard-earned cash on, I really don't. It's a phone, I got over it years ago. I don't have a Blackberry, because I object to someone in Canada having all my e-mails and texts. I don't have an iPhone because I want to do as I please with my property. I have an SGSII, I'm not tied to it, I can go back to my E71 or E90 any time I chose, no loss of data/music, no pain. If a new phone arrived on the market that was truly innovative, long battery life etc and wiped the floor with everything else, I'd have no pain or loss in moving to that.

The cult of apple is strong, so they're a good example, but you get the same with SII, must have SIII too.

I have an SGSII, no desire to get a SGSIII.

No I'd rather have a phone that lasted a week or two. (Hi Nokia E51/6310i/E52 :) )

The smart phones I've had have always been work phones and last time I was offered an iPhone or Android and decided against the iPhone. I actually prefer the blackberry for e-mail, but It's up again soon, so I could chose an iPhone, although I just don't see why I would have a strong desire to have one.

£144 would hire you a static caravan for a family with kids at croyde bay for a few days. Granted it's not much, but it's more than some people get. When you see all and sundry (including those who appear to not be working) with an iPhone you have to ask.

It's all to do with 'steps'.

If you have the 4, then upgrading to the 5 is worthwhile. If you have the 4s, then I agree, it's a small improvement.

If you're upgrading from a 3GS, then prepare to have you socks blown off :D

I'm upgrading, as I've had my 4 for two years now, and Kitten is inheriting my 4. :p