1.8 Oil consumption

It can vary engine by engine.

Engines can use oil when being run in. Some use non, some use lots.

The car might not have been checked properly during the PDI at the dealer, do you know for sure if it has used the oil or if it was ever full?

Are you asking if the warranty will cover the cost of the oil or the repairs to the engine?

There is a thread over in the Fabia forum with the Fabia vRS using lots of oil. Skoda are aware of the issue and working on a fix. They are providing some customers with oil for free until the fix is discovered and implemented.

Edited by silver1011

are you sure your leaving it long enough to drain back?

It can take hours to get a correct reading and the car needs to be flat

I checked mine on a slight slope say 5 degrees and it makes a difference!

Have you read what the Owner's Manual has to say about oil consumption, ie:

It is normal for the engine to consume oil. The oil consumption may be as much as 0.5l/1000km depending on your style of driving and the conditions under which you operate your vehicle. The oil consumption may be slightly higher than this during the first 5000km.

I suggest that you keep a careful watch on the oil consumption to see if it improves but as things stand it is within acceptable limits as far as Skoda is concerned.

I believe it may have used oil,

but did you dip the oil from collecting the car from new, after its PDI,

& do you know it was at the correct level before you started doing any miles?

Unless you know it was not possible .5 litres low to start with, its hard to know how much oil it used.

george

I have done 1k mls in my 1.8 TSi and added 0.6l of oil is this normal for this engine and if not will warranty cover it?

My 1.8 used a couple of litres in the first 10k miles. That dropped to 1 litre over the next 10k.

I find that this engine is the most sensitive I have ever owned for being on the level when you check the oil. When pointing down my drive (see avatar!) the oil doesn't even register on the dipstick - check it on the flat and it is right up to the mark. Even the gentle slope of the works carpark is 0.5 litres difference. Compare with my previous 1.9TDi where I knew that if I checked the oil parked on my drive then half-way between the marks was full on the flat.

My 1.8 used a couple of litres in the first 10k miles. That dropped to 1 litre over the next 10k.

I find that this engine is the most sensitive I have ever owned for being on the level when you check the oil. When pointing down my drive (see avatar!) the oil doesn't even register on the dipstick - check it on the flat and it is right up to the mark. Even the gentle slope of the works carpark is 0.5 litres difference. Compare with my previous 1.9TDi where I knew that if I checked the oil parked on my drive then half-way between the marks was full on the flat.

I agree with that. I always checked mine, hot, with it facing downwards on the garage drive, only 1 in 10 grade. It usually shows as half way along the etched area of the stick.

Just took it to the roughly level roadway outside and it showed just below the bottom of the etching. So put in about half a litre.

Then parked the car back on the drive but facing upwards, allowed time for oil to settle. Then checked and found it above the top of the etching by a good few mm.

Seems like only safe way is to check it on the dead level, hot, and with time for it to have settled. Probably on petrol station forecourt after coming back from paying !!!

• 2 months later...

Bump!

My 2010 1.8TSI DSG suffers from confirmed by weighting test at Skoda Authorized Dealer oil consumption of 0.24l per 1000km or 620 miles. This issue is well known in 1.8 TSI world around Europe and I've read multiple reports of Skoda in Germany for example replacing bad piston rings and refurbishing engines under warranty or participating in 80% of costs as a good will gesture if outside warranty, simply to avoid further damage. However, my otherwise trusty and very good at warranty work local dealer refused to do anything about my Octy's oil consumption, fending themselves with a quote from owner's manual which states that oil consumption of anything up to 1L per 1000 km is well within manufacturers stated tolerances.

I tried to negotiate, as the "tolerances" are quite clearly barking mad - no manufacturer in 21st century can possibly pretend that an engine with long service intervals of up to 20,000 miles evaporizing it's entire oil capacity within 12,000 miles (in my case), let alone doing so every 3000 miles (inside manufacturers tolerance of 1L per 620 miles) is acceptable. Additionally, my Octy only needed one top up in the first 20,000 miles, but then gradually got worse, to the point of now needing half a bottle every two to three thousand miles. So quite clearly something is wearing out inside. However, my dealer won't budge, they will not do anything about it. Since I still have about 1000 miles or 1.5 weeks of my warranty left, I thought I would ask you - forumites - if any of you had any luck:

1) getting Skoda to fix/replace/do anything about elevated oil consumption.

2) which Skoda dealer reported/actioned the repair

Edited by v0n

I seem to get around 3000 to 3500 miles to a litre. It has done this from new and has not got better or worse in the 33000 miles I have owned it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just to add my 2p.

I've a 2011 1.8 with 15,000 miles on it (10,000 since I picked it up from the dealer - being previously a Skoda fleet car).

The yellow oil light came on yesterday - I figured with only 15K miles, I must have a faulty sensor.

Checked this morning and the oil was so low all I got was a pinhead sized bead on the end of the dip stick - it took 3 ltrs to get it up to max.

My local dealer (Progress Skoda) said - I was lucky to get 10,000 miles, I must have a good one !!! and didn't I check the oil regularly? Well I've done 300,000 miles in the last 20 years in 3 different cars, all regularly serviced, and in that time I've NEVER had to touch the oil between services (a Peugeot 405 DT, Hyundai 2.0 coupe and Subaru 2.0 Forester).

Now I have to return to 1960's car ownership procedures? somehow I don't call this 'progress'.

Well I've done 300,000 miles in the last 20 years in 3 different cars, all regularly serviced, and in that time I've NEVER had to touch the oil between services (a Peugeot 405 DT, Hyundai 2.0 coupe and Subaru 2.0 Forester).

What about tyre pressures, coolant level, brake fluid level and windscreen washer fluid? Do you ignore those too between services?

• Like 1

I must be the only reading these oil consumption threads that's worrying that mine DOESN'T use oil! Oil is changed every 5,000 miles without fail but it's never really dropped in that time.

They don't all use oil. Just the odd rogue as with any engine. From new mine used a bit but it has now settled down. In the 6000 miles since the 2nd fixed service it has used half a litre.

I ran it in by driving normally including at least half a dozen full throttle sport mode accelerations red lining in every gear in the 1st 1000 miles.

I must be the only reading these oil consumption threads that's worrying that mine DOESN'T use oil! Oil is changed every 5,000 miles without fail but it's never really dropped in that time.

Nope - me too. I try to check with car in same position on our drive, always first thing in the morning - cold. Allowing for slight differences in air temperature, which seems hardly to affect the cold oil level, it hasn't moved down the dipstick in a long time. Might give it a cupful a year, but that is more to satisfy my need to give the car attention. Sad isn't it!!!

Checked this morning and the oil was so low all I got was a pinhead sized bead on the end of the dip stick - it took 3 ltrs to get it up to max.

The oil capacity of the CDAA engine with oil filter change is 4.6 litres.

And add tyre tread depth to my question in my earlier post.

If any of the above oil consumption I've so far in this topic was happening to me, I would be more than happy!

I have a 1.8TSI scout with 32,000km on the clock, bought new in Feb 2010, serviced it 90 days at 30,000km, service invoice states they added 5 liters of oil. This morning the "check oil level" message appeared. Ignored until i got to work 20Km down the road. Turned the engine off, checked the oil level after about 30mins, and not even a drop of oil was in the engine.

Any suggestions what might be causing this?

Edited by scoutfox