cheap options for winter tyres/wheels

I'm interested in getting low cost winter tyresfor my Octavia VRS and just wondered what the options are?

I managed to get a set for the Volvo using old wheels for £150 all in - that was with Dunlop M3 tyres that has tonnes of rubber left on them.

I guess I'm asking what wheels will fit my Octavia? I care not how gash they are as they'll just be used for the odd bad week of weather.

Hi

I got a set of VW Transporter T5 steel 16" wheels off ebay for £130 delivered and a set of Continental WinterContact tyres from my local KwikFit for £70 per tyre.

Well worth it.

Cheers

Dave

I bought wheels and winter tyres for my last car on "mytyres.co.uk" . Cost £540 so not sure if you class that as cheap. They were decent pirrelli run flats though not some cheapo brand. Its a good website though with some good deals.

There was an interesting article i read last year, cant remember where it was, and they compared different winter tyres and all weather tyres. There was a big difference in grip levels betweent he different winter tyre makes and the all weather tyres so it pays to research them first. Saying that though even the worst performing winter tyres were miles better than summer tyres in the snow so you will still benefit from changing.

All you need now is some snow.

One thing i noticed though is winter tyres are really squirmy compared to summer tyres. Can be quite disconserting some times.

Edited by Jockdooshbag

I find the Continental TS830's excellent as soon as the temps drop a bit, especially on wet motorways. It isn't just snow and ice they are good for.

I'll have a set of 4 original 6.5Jx16 Vega alloys for sale in a couple of weeks, suit 205/55R16, they need a refurb, but if anyone wants alloys instead of steels they will make a good choice for winter tyres on a VRS (I currently have 312mm front discs and they fit fine).

I'll list them properly in the for sale section with piccies when I'm ready.

Cool - thanks for the extra advice guys!

Transporter wheels and I can transfer my M3 Dunlops as they are a compatible width - result!

The Dunlops were recommended by some Continental guys so I bought part worns on EBay for £100 and they've been great. Stored in the garage and still tonnes left on them.

I was just wondering what I could get for the alloys if steel transporter wheels are about £25 each.

They won't be coming off the car for at least two weeks.

I'm in Rossendale, Lancs but can get the alloys to Chesterfield, Derbyshire or Stockport area quite easily.

I'm going to get some photos of them on Sunday and will probably list them now ready for when they come off. I'll list them in the for sale section when I get the piccies done.

sorry to be a spoiler here but correct me if i am wrong T5 are 125mm pcd and the octavia is 115mm pcd so they wont fit think the T4 might of been 115mm but not sure

5x112 PCD is what the MKII Octavia, Superb and Yeti need.

Is there something wrong with all season tyres and the Skoda alloys?. All I ever seem to see on here are threads about Winter tyres/wheels. :think:

Nothing 'wrong' with them, they are just not as good (in the winter) as winter tyres.

More of a 'jack of all trades' (and master of none)

It is the VRS owners who really need to drop down to 16" rims for winter - the higher price of 18" winter tyres compared to 16" more than pays for the extra set of 16 "rims, plus you get to keep the 18" rims away from all that nasty salt.

VAG 16" steel rims go for silly money on ebay as everyone wants them for winter tyres!

Hang on - so T5 wheels don't fit??

Correct. I looked at these to but they have different PCD etc.

As for expensive golf steel wheels - tell me about it. Was on ebay yesterday, i couldnt believe how much they go for.

Think i may try the all weather tyres this time as i dont really need full winters. All weathers may be good enough to leave on all year round. Especially in Aberdeen as it pish weather all year anyway.