Tyre help for Elegance TDI - 225 - 40 - 18 92Y XL

taurean7

I am getting to the point of needing to change 2 tyres definitely, but might change 4.

My rears are getting low and they are Conti's and even in heavy rain seem to still be grippy which I find amazing, but I think I am tempting fate to wait too!!! long

My fronts are a name I have never heard of, and whilst good in dry, wet is a different matter.

I normally get my tyres on line and get them fitted locally, but as this car is my first with 18" rims I have had to research tyres more critically. The problem I have is that I dont have the pennies for the premium brands (ie, Michelin, Continental, Pirelli, etc)

What I would like to ask the forum is, has anyone got any opinions / recommendations of tyres even if they aren't a well known make.

For example, I have been using tyre reviews website to gain some help, and I have been looking into Neuton's or Matador's.

But if anyone has personal experience of any particular tyres I would appreciate the help.

PS - I also tow a caravan so the weight rating is important (ie, 92Y XL)

I got 2 Rockstone F105's fitted to my Superb a few months back (May) and they've been excellent so far. I bought from Blackcircles.com and the tyres had excellent reviews on there. Mind you, I'm nothing like an expert when it comes to tyres! At the time it cost £171 for 2 tyres fitted.

I have Toyo Proxes 4 on my Vrs, same size and well pleased.

Although you can't beat Uniroyal Rain masters ( rain sports ) they are awesome in the dry and even better in the wet

How are the Proxes?? It is a tyre I have seen it is in the same price bracket I am looking at £80-95.00 per tyre (only) delivered. I have had Toyo a long time ago and they where very good. Do you have reliable grip in all weathers or do you find them lacking in certain conditions.

With regards Uniroyals I did have them fitted to my previous car (Kia ProCeed), and found them OK but not as good as I expected in the wet BUT found out a garage who had done warranty repairs on driveshafts had scr***d!!! up my tracking and the tyres destroyed themselves inside 3000miles!?!!! So I am a little wary of these.

The superb should only be run on XL tyres due to the weight of the car. When I my Superb is was running on Event branded tyres which seemed perfectly fine to me.

Thanks for the comment on the Event tyres, but they were on a set loner wheels I was given when mine where being refurb'd and it was raining. I found them lethal, they span up sooooo quickly, I also went round a sweeping bend, slowly, and STILL experienced a 4 wheel drift!!! Eeekkkk!

I got 2 Rockstone F105's fitted to my Superb a few months back (May) and they've been excellent so far. I bought from Blackcircles.com and the tyres had excellent reviews on there. Mind you, I'm nothing like an expert when it comes to tyres! At the time it cost £171 for 2 tyres fitted.

Thanks I have seen Black Circles website and there is a garage near me that does fit, but over the last few years I have bought tyres from Camskill and then I can get fitted for between £10-15.00 per tyre fitting. Bit of a phaff but there are considerable savings to be had.

I fitted Toyo C1S fitted to my Superb in May (fitted all 4 of them at the same time) and they are Quiet and economical.

They do NOT offer as much grip when pushed hard in the dry or wet as the original Conti's BUT are wearing well, and are no where near unsafe.

During "normal" driving, they are excellent,water displacement is excellent and i have never felt them move around on water.

Bought from CamSkill, Local VW main-dealer fitted them for £10 ea + vat.

Al.

I recently replaced Conti with Toyo (Skoda dealers recommendation) - very impressed. Possibly slightly more noise (actually probably not so much more noise as a different sound), but grip well.

Hi

thanks for your comment - which model and size Toyo tyre, just so I know if it is like other recommendations I have been given?

I'm planning to order four Pirelli PZero's in this size in next few weeks. They seem to consistently finish in top 3 in tyre tests, regularly top wet handling & braking and currently are ~£95 each delivered fom camskill.

Cheers

Steve

Well everyone, thank you for all your remarks and comments I found them very useful.

My problem with Pirelli's are that in the past I have found them grippy but at the expense of longevity (they only lasted me 6-7000k which isn't enough)

The Toyo's I was seriously considering, so I enquired with Camskill directly to see if they could recommend a direction out of the Choices of Falken ZE912, FK452, Toyo T1R, and Uniroyal.

They advise all good quality tyres. The Falken 452's and the Toyo's and Uniroyal are High Performance Tyres in that you get very good grip but at the expense of mileage (ie, soft compound).

Whereas, the ZE912's are a little shy in the gripping status, but have longevity on their side.

Now seeing as my boy racer days are long behind me, I am after a tyre that is comfortable, quiet, and can last. As a result I think the ZE912 is for me. Another thing for it is that they were only £72.50 per tyre delivered from Camskill, and I have also had them fitted to the wife's Seat Ibiza SC and they are still going strong after 10k.

Thanks everyone for you help it made me think of my options and I think I have bought the best of the tyres that is a compromise against my needs.

I went to order Pirelli's today and Camskill were out of stock, so ordered Goodyear F1 AS2's instead. Ordered from F1 autocentres online who had them for £120 fully fitted each with their current 5% discount. I have a local one in Cambridge and would have been same price as Camskill, but without shipping hassle etc. so no brainer.

Anyone else running the Goodyear F1 AS2's? They seem to get consistently good reviews.

Cheers

Steve

Kumho KU37s are doing a decent job for me; around £70 a corner, fitted. A good compromise: highly respected make (these days) at an affordable price. I don't tazz about the place on two wheels, but I have had NO dramas from the Kumhos, whatever the weather/surface. They are extremely quiet on the right road, but seem a bit sensitive to surface - rough tarmac/concrete brings the noise up substantially; comfort is excellent, even on my slightly over-inflated settings. Also considered ZE912s, but couldn't get the right deal.