Plug in tuning

briwy

I'm considering fitting one of these plug in boxes to our diesel 140 4x4 Yeti and am really looking for recommendations. Missing the get up go of the Fabia VRs a bit.

I realise that a remap of the ECU is possibly the better way to do this but I want the ability to take it off when I want to so that rules out a Shark type remap.

Has anyone fitted one of these boxes, what make, what are the results? Any problems?

Had a look at few suppliers and they all seem basically to offer the same facilities.

http://www.racechip....di-cr-103kw.php

http://www.chipexpre.../products/2098/

http://www.diesel-pe...etails.php?id=1

http://www.tdi-tunin...3_kw_P1444.html

Thanks for any advice

I have a Racechip fitted to my Greenline off of a Bluemotion Golf, easy to fit the 2 cables (1, on the fuel rail, 2, on the intercooler pressure sensor). I don't drive mine hard very often, its mainly for fuel economy, my maxidot is at present showing 62.7mpg as my average over the last 1247 miles. On the occations that I have needed extra power, it produced so much so quickly that I found myself speeding.

I have now changed the settings on the box to slightly reduce the power (easy to do on a rotary dial), all this did was bring down the power with no loss of MPG.

When I first fitted it, I could not find the pressure sensor plug, so I emailed Racechip for some advice, they replied within a couple of hours and sent me a video showing me how and where, even though I had not bought it from them..

As an ex VOSA tech I have seen many of these boxes fitted, and think they are all alike as long as they come with 2 cables and not just one that fits the fuel rail, because all this type does is increase fuel quantity.

How to decided on which chip box company is best is simple, send all the companies the same technical question email (How many cables does the chipbox have and where are they fitted) and wait for their replies, see who bothers and does not.

my maxidot is at present showing 62.7mpg as my average over the last 1247 miles.

I'm curious about this bit. As I understand it these boxes work by giving the ECU false or modified data. If that's the case, how reliable is the Maxidot fuel economy figure, if it is derived from false data? How does the Maxidot figure compare with the fill-drive-refill method?

I ordered the racechip for my 1.6tdi.

It made the engine make a tinkling noise at low revs when just pootling around town,rather like a petrol engine pre-ignition noise(pinking).

Even SWMBO noticed.

I wasn't happy with that, and they refunded me promptly.

I'll wait for a couple of services under its belt by which time Shark tuning should be up and running with a proper remap.

Pendle now do it for the 1.6 tdi ,and I believe Revo are just about there.

The Maxidot readout is calculated basically through a flow sensor in the injection system, so why would connecting a tuning chip alter how it reads?

AFAIK there are no flow sensors in the fuel system. Fuel flow is calculated from injector open time. Which is why these boxes which trick the rail pressure sensors give a false fuel economy reading.

I am open to being corrected on the above if anyone has access to relevant information.

How does the Maxidot figure compare with the fill-drive-refill method?

I did a full to full mpg test in early sept and got 61.8, but this was a round trip on open roads with no urban at all, the maxidot recorded over 64 for that trip.

I ordered the racechip for my 1.6tdi.

It made the engine make a tinkling noise at low revs when just pootling around town,rather like a petrol engine pre-ignition noise(pinking).

Even SWMBO noticed.

I had that problem on another car, but it was OK at higher revs. It was caused by the pressure sensor on the intercooler not being connected to the chipbox

How does the Maxidot figure compare with the fill-drive-refill method?

In my experience comparing brim-to-brim mpg vs the Maxidot, I find the computer averages around 10% optimistic normally, but more like 20% when the Racechip is in place.

I think the RaceChip does make the 140 more brisk - though not mind-expandingly so - but on the evidence of my own experience I seriously doubt that it makes any significant difference to mpg.

AFAIK there are no flow sensors in the fuel system. Fuel flow is calculated from injector open time. Which is why these boxes which trick the rail pressure sensors give a false fuel economy reading.

I am open to being corrected on the above if anyone has access to relevant information.

This was my understanding as well, hence the question. I have worked quite a lot with HGV fuel economy field trials with boxes that plug into the CAN system and use the injector pulse data for calculations.

It is also my understanding that the average fuel consumption algorithm ignores idling fuel use, so will always read higher than brim-to-brim calculations.

It is also my understanding that the average fuel consumption algorithm ignores idling fuel use, so will always read higher than brim-to-brim calculations.

That's not what I have noticed on my Yeti. As long as the ignition is on, it seems to record all the time. I can sit at traffic lights for a while, and can watch the average fuel consumption drop. That's why I will turn the engine off if I know there is a reasonable wait.

I can sit with the ignition on and the timer keeps rolling, which affects all the readings.

I have just filled up the tank again and checked the MPG, its 58.2 and that is no long trips, but I do live in the country not a city.

What I have also done is replace the Racechip box with the dummy plug to set it back to STD ECU,

I'm going to check the MPG and performance today cause I'm doing a 200 mile round trip and I'll post again tomorrow to see what difference the chipbox makes.

I also agree that fuel is monitored during idle, I have stop/start so I can see on the maxidot, the benefit of shutting down in stationary traffic.

I have a Racechip fitted to my Greenline off of a Bluemotion Golf, easy to fit the 2 cables (1, on the fuel rail, 2, on the intercooler pressure sensor). I don't drive mine hard very often, its mainly for fuel economy, my maxidot is at present showing 62.7mpg as my average over the last 1247 miles. On the occations that I have needed extra power, it produced so much so quickly that I found myself speeding.

I have now changed the settings on the box to slightly reduce the power (easy to do on a rotary dial), all this did was bring down the power with no loss of MPG.

When I first fitted it, I could not find the pressure sensor plug, so I emailed Racechip for some advice, they replied within a couple of hours and sent me a video showing me how and where, even though I had not bought it from them..

As an ex VOSA tech I have seen many of these boxes fitted, and think they are all alike as long as they come with 2 cables and not just one that fits the fuel rail, because all this type does is increase fuel quantity.

How to decided on which chip box company is best is simple, send all the companies the same technical question email (How many cables does the chipbox have and where are they fitted) and wait for their replies, see who bothers and does not.

Of the 4 systems quoted in the first post which ones have the 2 cables?

So far the TDi system seems to be the most attractive...any more opinions?

Of the 4 systems quoted in the first post which ones have the 2 cables?

After checking out the sites mentioned, and looking at all available pics, it seems that some only have one cable with 2 ends that connect between the fuel rail and the OEM fuel rail plug.

In this case how will it measure the "Turbo Boost Pressure", failing to do this may result in a pinking like noise at low revs caused by more fuel with less air, a sure way to block the DPF.

If in doubt or cannot make up your mind as to which unit, REMAP, it may be more expensive and semi-permanent, but if you really want more power !!!

Can someone explain to me what these units basically do

do the change what is a "general" state of engine tuning that is designed for countries throughout the world into a more specific state of tuning suitable for the fuel sold in Europe and the general atmospheric conditions.

or do they just enrich the air/fuel mixture for extra performance?

do the change what is a "general" state of engine tuning that is designed for countries throughout the world into a more specific state of tuning suitable for the fuel sold in Europe and the general atmospheric conditions.

They alter the injector timing and duration, in other words when it injects and how much.

• Like 1

The fool the ECU into raising the fuel pressure, this results in more fuel being injected, and on average earlier, than it would normally be.

The earlier average injection advances the timing which makes the engine noisier but often a little more efficient. Because more fuel is being squirted out in the same injector open-time the power produced is higher and the actual fuel consumption higher than indicated on the fuel computer.

In short they are a bodge and can cause all sorts of issues from excessive soot into the DPF to high enough exhaust temps to endanger your engine and turbo.

Edited by Kiwibacon
  • Like 1

I've got used to the power band in my 140 now and don't really see the need for a boost to it from either a remap or a plug-in box. The delivery is different to that of the PD vRS, and aside from the lack of poke in 6th on motorways, it's fast enough for me. You actually have to drive it a bit more like a petrol than a diesel.

That said, I wouldn't mind a go in one of the X3 Beemers with the 3 litre twin-turbo diesel motors in it... (as seen in the 335d etc). That might be fun...