Its all off.....Maybe

4matt

Niva's are very capable off-road, but are noisy, uncomfortable, thirsty, cramped and generally not very pleasant the rest of the time.

Reminds me of my Defender. :giggle:

• Like 2

Reminds me of my Defender. :giggle:

Don't diss the defender, that was the only car I have ever owned that whilst still running the water was over the seat base and I was rather wet, it got us out of the lake we were in and I then spent days draining axle/diff oils to get rid of the water/emulsified oil and fitting a breather system to stop it happening again.

That was one of my favourite cars ever owned.

Lets look at the figures...

N cap

Adult: Yeti (92%) Duster (74%)

Child: Yeti (78%) Duster (78%)

Pedestrian: Yeti (46%) Duster (28%)

Safety Assist: Yeti (71%) (29%) - the thing that helps you not have an accident in the first place!

Lets look at the facts ... the Yeti N Cap figure was tested with ESP. So overall not much difference between a cheap 2wd Duster's figures and a cheap Duster's figures. But one should really consider adding ESP for either model!

Having said that I saw a comparison test recently that rated them as in different markets - Duster more 3rd world, Yeti more Golf... and know what I would prefer / suit me!

Don't diss the defender, that was the only car I have ever owned that whilst still running the water was over the seat base and I was rather wet, it got us out of the lake we were in and I then spent days draining axle/diff oils to get rid of the water/emulsified oil and fitting a breather system to stop it happening again.

That was one of my favourite cars ever owned.

I doubt BossFox is. He has had loads of Land/Range Rovers, and some of them have been/are very special.

:lol:

"Having said that I saw a comparison test recently that rated them as in different markets - Duster more 3rd world, Yeti more Golf... and know what I would prefer / suit me!"

A Yeti is a Golf with wellies on!....... :happy:

We are not looking for a New car we are looking at Used ones, however when SWMBO saw the Duster while we were away. She said Look at that you can get a new car for less than a lot of used ones......

Since my O.P. we have talked and she agrees with me that for spec and an Auto option the Yeti is the better option.

BTW we had a Lada Cossack for while and Loved it till it died....... RIP Beloved COZZY (her name for it not mine)....

Got you lot talking though didn't it......Thanks for all the support and views.

"Having said that I saw a comparison test recently that rated them as in different markets - Duster more 3rd world, Yeti more Golf... and know what I would prefer / suit me!"

A Yeti is a Golf with wellies on!....... :happy:

:wonder:

More TT cross Tiguan with that important blend of Czech flair VW are missing :giggle:

TP

• 1 month later...

I may be too late, but can't resist answering. I thought of Duster for a while, I even asked them to make me an estimate buil. In Croatia, where I live, Duster 4x4 Laureate, petrol (top model here) was about 132.000,00 kuna (I think about £14.150). Once I took a probe ride and took a good look inside, I knew this cheap car was too expensive.in my opinion. It may be French engine and Japanese landing gear (hope you understand

my Croatian English), but it's still "unfinished, undetailed and cheap compounded" Romanian car. I thought it over and decided I don't really need 4x4. (I like 4x4, but don't actually need it since there is one 4x4 in my family). So, I decided to take more expensive Yeti 1.2 (more expensive 2x4 than the best 4x4 Duster here) with things inside (equipment) that I can enjoy with. But if I take 4x4 next time, I'll make sure NOT to be motivated with a thought "this one is cheap", but with a thought "I can afford it and it's justifying it's price".

But, if you need 4x4 so badly and if Duster is the only one you can afford, than go for it! Just ask xour self first "do I need one, and it this a car I'll be happy with next year, too"

Edited by Jazz Moli
  • Like 1

There is a joke circulating here in Israel about the Dacia:

Will it have twin holes in the roof above the drivers seat and, will it have heated rear windows?

Wonder why?

The holes are to accomodate the ears of the ass that buys it.

The heated rear windows are there to warm the hands of the people pushing it.

Edited by oriki

I'm not so sure this joke stands for new Dacia generation, since it's French-Japanese foster child. But just have a look at it's security test. Once I saw it, I knew this is something I would not risk driving with my family in.

Edited by Jazz Moli

I'll defend the duster then, if high ncap figures are what you want then just go and get a Volvo v40, it's the safest car tested. Depreciation... Well 50% of £8995 is less than 40% of £14000 ... If someone wants a cheap no frills car with a warranty and reasonable quality components then I don't see what's not to like about the duster. Granted I would have the yeti over the duster, but that's because of the looks and engines in the yeti. Remember it wasn't that long ago people wouldn't have a skoda because of the badge and it's components, dacia imo are doing what skoda did 15 years ago.

Stevetdci,

I agree, Duster is ok car, but only if you can't afford any better. But I think there is more than just hesitation over it's Romanian name. Once you sit in both cars (skoda and dacia) you feel there is something unfinished with Duster. I don't need a lifetime car, but I'd like my car to look as good as new as long as I have it. With Duster you simply feel plastic is oldfashioned (like early 80's cars) and it's tin and paint finish do not make me feel confident. By the way, Czechs are known about their metalware. With yeti it's not just about good German engine, it's also skoda's high quality body (at least, I hope it still is).

With yeti 4x4 you get offroad car with all the luxury and comfort you can afford. With Duster 4x4 you get oldfashioned air conditioner (as additional equipment with top model Laureate), seats, steering wheel and that's about it. Everything, but everything comes as additional, at least here in Croatia. And, even if I still think it is a very affordable 4x4 car, I can't but think it's a fraud. You can't sell that cheap 4x4 car unless you steal - take some parts off, sell some nowdays necessity as an additional equipment, or make it of a poor quality. And all those fine toys you can put in skoda, if you like and can pay for, Duster doesn't offer at all.

Edited by Jazz Moli
  • Like 1

41, nearly 42 years ago my father had his first red colored skoda (and that was in time when many Croatians were happy having a bike. We were something like third world country, I guess). He drove that one about 15 years and he would do so for much longer. So durable his skoda was, but it was me and my brother that were ashamed of his red oldfashioned car. But, ever since my father tells a story of his "one and only" car with no failure in 15 years and no rust or any other damaged spot on it's body.