Some Stupid Newbie Questions

OzFabia

Hellow fellow Briskies,

As I'm new to turbo cars, and Skoda in general, (having come from a NA Ford Focus 2 litre) please bear with some dumb questions that have arisen, which I haven't been able to resolve via forum search or owner's manual to my satisfaction. I've listed them in order of perceived importance. Thanks in advance for any replies.

1. Does the car need to be idled after hard running to cool the turbo the way this used to be done for turbo cars? Bear in mind I'm in Australia, and summer temperatures often peak over 40 degrees Celsius.

2. How warm should the oil temp go before one starts really pushing the car? And how high a temp is time to worry or at least back off? I'm used to a gauge that practically sat on 90 degrees most of the time. Same climate concerns as above.

3. Does the Climatronic actually turn off, even when the fan and/or AC are off? Should it be turned off, or just left to do its thing?

4. Am I mistaken in thinking the front foglights don't actually exist, but have been replaced by the LED DRL's? Or are the DRL's actually meant to double up for fog duties? Not particularly an issue, again because of the Australian climate, but I'm curious.

5. Is the warbly bass sound that kicks in at around 2000rpm in the middle gears induction roar, or something else?

6. Is something like a K&N replacement filter worth doing? I know it didn't do that much on the Focus other than improve the sound.

7. How the **** do you get back to the main trip computer display (oil temp, distance travelled, fuel economy etc) from the Bluetooth phone display? I've pressed a few of the buttons, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything (other than finding a voice recognition unit I didn't know the car had...)

Thanks, people. Be gentle, please.

Hi there,

I can try and answer some (not all) of your questions :think:

2) I normally wait until the oil temp display appears (50+ degrees), but don't really push it till it gets to around 70, mine seems to peak around the 90 mark. (bit colder here though) !

4) Even though the brochure and the Skoda website say the vRS has front fogs as standard, you are right they have been replaced with the DRL's

7) When stationary hold one of the buttons in on the end of the stawk for the trip for a few seconds the menu should then appear, use the buttons one the end to scroll up and down the menus and press the button under the stawk to select (referred to as buttons A and B in the manual), Apologies if you already knew this

1. Unless you are able to drive like nuts until your doorstep, driving cool the 2-3 last minutes would be enough after a hard "session". It's also an excuse to hear the song that's playing till it ends...

2. I personally don't get to rev limiter until it's over 85. I've seen temps of 105 on summer days of 35 degrees ambient but they are normal.

3. There's not an AC On/Off button afaik. The way you turn it off is by turning the Fan knob to zero, (no need to touch the Temp knob!) In mine, the turning off cannot be completed in one single move, that is: you turn it down to zero fan level but the screen is still illuminated, then you wait 1 sec, turn it down a little more and off it turns.

4) As already confirmed, DRLS are what the vRS has in place of fogs (tons better!)

5) You don't mean the supercharger's whine do you?

7) As described above, 99% of situations, hold the Up or Down button (doesn't matter which) of the right stawk for a 1-2 sec and you'll return to Trip-Computer etc. However, If some time you have entered some setup menu, holding the buttons won't work. You have to specifically navigate to the end of the list and select "Go Back" or "Exit".

Edited by newbie69

1. theres a whining noise once you turn off and some say its a recirculation oil pump, im no techie so im not sure but i sit idle for a minute if ive just driven hard or i make the last mile a slower drive

2. 90 is normal for me and i dont push hard until its there or there abouts

4. yes DRL's only here in the UK, be prepared for many finger waving antics of drivers who think your driving around in the daytime with your fogs on

6. its been said that on its own theres little effect on any car but in my past experience they do sound an awful lot better with an induction kit, never had just the filter though

Thanks for your replies. Much appreciated!

4) yes DRL's only here in the UK, be prepared for many finger waving antics of drivers who think your driving around in the daytime with your fogs on
Right, ha ha. A lot of people here drive around with ordinary park or fog-lights on, thinking they have real DRL's. It's illegal, but the cops don't bother cracking down on it much.
5) You don't mean the supercharger's whine do you?
No, it's deeper and bassier, with a sort of warble in the note, generally when you're just cruising along and you ask for a bit of acceleration but not WOT. I think it may be induction-related.
7) As described above, 99% of situations, hold the Up or Down button (doesn't matter which) of the right stawk for a 1-2 sec and you'll return to Trip-Computer etc. However, If some time you have entered some setup menu, holding the buttons won't work. You have to specifically navigate to the end of the list and select "Go Back" or "Exit".
A-ha. I was looking for a simple on/off switch, and pushing and holding all of the buttons, except the right one at the right time...

Incidentally, I have had this car a week, and I love it more and more. A recent review I read rated it 8/10 on something like a "milk run" score: ie, how likely are you to decide you just have to go and get some milk right now, even though you won't need it until tomorrow... :rofl:

A few more stupid questions.

1. Can one access AM radio via a Swing radio? Yes, I know it's 20th century tech, but I still need like to listen to (Australian rules) football and cricket every now and then on the AM band.

2. There seems to be a small clunk coming from somewhere when first getting under way (under 20km and maybe 2nd gear). It doesn't happen after you stop at lights, only when first moving after switching on the ignition. Could it be something like ABS or another system "sorting itself out" for want of a better description?

3. Do you actually need to leave your key in the petrol cap when taking it off? I had a great five minutes trying to refuel because I'd unlocked it, removed the key and started turning.... and turning... and turning the cap to no effect. Only when, finally, in desperation I left the keys in it and turned did it come loose. Having the keys spinning around, possibly scratching paint around the filler, as I turn the cap is crazy.

1. To access AM just hold down the button marked RADIO for a few seconds, you then have an option to select either FM or AM. I too like to listen to the cricket/football/F1 etc, especially when beating the Aussies (sorry couldn't resist but your national team does seem to be rebuilding a little to well for my liking).

2. Not certain on this one, however if you are that concerned go back to your dealer. There may be a simple explanation as to why you hear this.

3. Pretty sure you can take the key out, to be honest i can't actually remember as it is an instinctive routine to fill the car at least once a week.

? The Ashes belong in England. They represent the death of English cricket so they are ours!!!

Lets wait till next summer to see what happens.

btw, your emoticon was very apt for an Australian :)

2. There seems to be a small clunk coming from somewhere when first getting under way (under 20km and maybe 2nd gear). It doesn't happen after you stop at lights, only when first moving after switching on the ignition. Could it be something like ABS or another system "sorting itself out" for want of a better description?

Doors locking automatically?

supercharger Magnetic clutch engaged ?

To get the key out the fuel cap, hold the cap, insert key and turn anti clockwise whilst holding the cap until you can't turn them anymore, remove keys and unscrew cap :happy:

Replace by screwing cap on fully insert keys, hold cap and turn key clockwise until it won't turn anymore and remove keys :happy:

Simples :rofl:

My new UK Fabia Elegance made this sound when going over 10mph (15kph) and it was the auto-locking feature which I got the dealer to activate for free. Now I hear a louder clunk and the orange "all locked" symbol comes on in the centre console meaning all doors lock automatically when I go over 10mph

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, I'm thinking you're right. If I listen carefully (I'm all but deaf in one ear, so it isn't easy to judge direction), I'm fairly sure the sound is coming from more than one place, so locks seem the most likely.

Incidentally, does the vRS have LED tail/brake lights in the main cluster? I can see they are on the higher brake-light, but can't see into the "normal" part to tell.

Yep, I'm thinking you're right. If I listen carefully (I'm all but deaf in one ear, so it isn't easy to judge direction), I'm fairly sure the sound is coming from more than one place, so locks seem the most likely.

Incidentally, does the vRS have LED tail/brake lights in the main cluster? I can see they are on the higher brake-light, but can't see into the "normal" part to tell.

No

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

No

Thanks for your answer. Although I do not "like" your answer, I must do so, as there is no option for a "rep(utation)" point or a "thanks" button on this forum. :happy:

My next not so stupid question... do other people's cars occasionally feel like they're "bogged down" or perhaps even misfiring when first starting in the morning? I'm not talking freezing conditions here - it was 25 degrees Celsius when I left home this morning - but the first forty to fifty metres in forward motion were slightly erratic, almost as if I had bad fuel. It probably happens on 1/3 to 1/2 of the times I start, though today was at the most extreme end of the symptoms. It's the sort of situation a choke button used to be required for.

Everything smoothed out after this, as it always does, so I'm hoping it's relatively normal... The problem with these cars is you get the impression they're more fragile than they actually are. I might have to stop coming onto this forum. :bandit: ... :rofl:

Edited by OzFabia

For the first few seconds (upto 20 or 30) from a "cold" start - even 25 degrees is cold in engine terms - the ignition timing changes along with the increased idle speed to improve the light (warm) up time of the catalytic converter. It used to be quite "missy" on my Scirocco and had a certain growl for the first 20 or 30 seconds. Its still there on the Fabia, but not as pronounced.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Might as well be in here, as it may be a stupid question...

Anyone bought one of these "kits"? One of the few complaints I have about the Fabia is that the interior is a bit drab. A few more aluminium-y bits would liven it up a lot. I'm wondering if this stuff looks any good fitted, or if it just looks like a whole lot of cheap stick-ons (bearing in mind that it IS cheap stick-ons...). http://www.superskoda.com/fabia-ii/interior/skoda-fabia-ii-20pcs-interior-dashboard-kit-alu-look

In the same vein, how about these two items? Look good? "Easy to install for everyone?" Given the original door handle is rather flimsy, I'm reluctant to fiddle with it unnecessarily, however...

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-II/Fabia-II-07-12-OEM-Skoda-interior-door-handle-ALU-edition

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/FABIA-II/Fabia-II-07-12-OEM-Skoda-interior-door-OPENER-handle-ALU-edition

I'd be scared of the dash bits tbh,if they looked tacky and fitted badly, and you then remove them but find you've marked the dash ,that would be a bit of a disaster!!

I like the idea of the ali handles,look a lot better than the black plastic and you will be able to see them better in the dark.

One is total replacement handles,the other just covers,not sure which would be best,anyone got these?