Skoda Mats - Are they the best ?

Hudson1

Well i pick up my 60 plated 1.6CR TDI Elegance tomorrow and although i will be getting the Skoda boot liner and the front and rear mud flaps i am not too sure if the mats will be the best..... historically manufacturers mats have not been that great for me.... any opinions, i thought of the textile ones and not the rubber, anybody else use aftermarket and find them as good a fit but better quality and looks ?

I had OE fabric ones in my Astra from new and they lasted 100,000 miles so I opted for the same thing in my Fabia, only 4500 miles but so far they seem OK.

Just like the Astra they clip into position in the front foot wells although curiously in the rear there are clips in the mats but not in the floor.

The Skoda fabric ones get dirty easily and are a pain to clean if tiny stones and other debris gets stuck in the fibers.

The rubber Skoda mats are great. Got them for 3 years now and have kept the footwells nice and clean.

They also got a raised lip around their edge so when liquid gets spilled it will stay on the mat and not flow into the carpet below.

They come with carpet screws so when you install them they will stay put.

That's odd - the Skoda fabric mats supplied with my wife's Fabia, over 3 years and 45k miles ago, are still good.

My mum had the factory mats in her Mk2 VRS and was very disappointed , so I bought a set of the Ambassador ones as we had those in my Superb (Whose mats looked tatty after 20k and my previous Octy VRS whose mats also didnt last well , my 2000mile VRS mats are already looking tatty and I'll be replacing them with aftermarket ones as well

Skoda fabric mats are crap, just like the people who sell them. I know that they are put in place by the dealers, not the factory. I have them and thought I'd just put the mats I had kept from my previous car on top of them to stop them soiling (a bit pointless, I know, but I had them lying around, so why not?). Well, even though I haven't been touching them directly, they (the skoda ones) got worn at the spots where my heels rest. Rather quickly too.

I'd get aftermarket ones if I were you.

There are 3 different types of Skoda mates though:

rubber

dealer fit textile - supposedly crap from the reviews

factory fit textile - although they look similar they actually wear really well.

My factory fit ones in the Superb are 28K miles old and despite my initial reservations are wearing really well - as in almost no wear on them at all.

95% of my driving is done in work boots as well.

Not sure how they will withstand to high heels though as I can’t drive in the buggers :giggle:

I imagine no mats would withstand them very well though?

• Like 1

There are 3 different types of Skoda mates though:

rubber

dealer fit textile - supposedly crap from the reviews

factory fit textile - although they look similar they actually wear really well.

My factory fit ones in the Superb are 28K miles old and despite my initial reservations are wearing really well - as in almost no wear on them at all.

95% of my driving is done in work boots as well.

Not sure how they will withstand to high heels though as I can’t drive in the buggers :giggle:

I imagine no mats would withstand them very well though?

That explains a lot - the ones I'm referring to are factory fit.

Rubber mats are way better than the fabric ones, ended up buying a set after the dealer supplied fabric ones looked about 10 years old after only 14 months. They clip in place like the fabric ones though don't click in place. Find every now and again have to push them back onto the clips

I am picking up the rubber ones on Monday so will give an update then, i got the Skoda rubber boot liner and that seems really nice quality, so if the mats are the same i will be happy enough.

I will keep an eye on mine and seriously consider rubber ones for the wet part of the year. I am sure wet carpet mats contribute to that pesky steaming up of windows internally, which I had freezing inside on occasions lol.

On the subject of wear, I bought some cheap Halfords universal ones the other day (stupid impulse buying be damned ), not much cheaper than ambassador ones. They wore off after a month ...

The £12 rubber mat set from Tesco fits pretty well and covers & protects the carpets in the front pretty well.

the small back ones can be used in the rear or the boot as suits you.

& I get great 'Universal Fit' Rubber Look heavy duty mats, but thay are actually hard plastic mats from my local Motor Factors for £16-£20.

They are great in a Fabia, fit perfectly & the rear edge slips under the front seats.

Once in use, i still use a rubber Tesco mat on top, so that it can get taken out and emptied of snow or water & dried.

(You can put Fabric mats in on top for posh days out, Sunday trips to the church etc)

The Plastic universal mat can get wiped in situ,& are a really a close fit.

Check out your Local Motor Factors for real bargains,

not Half-frauds & Dealerships Parts Desk.. JMO.

george

PS.

I sometimes go to the Dealership Valeter on the QT & ask if there are any mats being thrown out,

& put money towards the Tea Tin, or the Xmas night out.

Obviously depends on the type of Dealership & preparation shop.

Not worth getting someone their cards.