DPF problems, what they are and how to avoid them?

Hi all,

First thing is this post isn't intended as an opportunity for those of you with petrol engined Octys to have a bash at those of us with a CR lump, so If you want to knock my car or extol the virtues of petrol please start your own thread and don't hyjack this one please :kiss:

Having had my 0-4-0 vRS CR Blackline for a month now I'm really enjoying it, but as I won't be doing vast milage and will do a lot of short journeys (as it's the wife's PD seat that does all the miles) have any of those of you who DO own CRs any tips on what to look out for and how to avoid problems associated with the DPF?

Before anyone tells me 'You should have bought a petrol' it's obvious I didn't, and would make the same choice again so please don't bother! You might a well try and convert a steam enthusiast to deisel electric or vice versa.

Looking at the various posts and reading between the lines it looks like the cinder box needs emptying now and again to keep it on track, especially if you do a lot of shunting, so what's the best way to do this. Is it just a case of going inter city once a month when it's quiet and giving it a constant run at 70mph for 1/2 an hour?

choo choo

Share the love :love:

Had my Octavia for 10 months now with 9,000 miles on the clock. Do a lot of short journeys and at least once a week a longer one. Have had no problems what so ever with the DPF, just had the fans stay on about 4 times when the engine has been switched off, I understand a programmed re-gen and the fans cool down the engine compartment, but never had the light on. Sometimes when in heavy slow moving traffic I stay in a lower gear just to keep the revs up.

In September did a 2,100 mile round trip to the Czech Republic towing, so if there was a build up in the DPF that would have cleared it!

Just drive it normally.

In the unlikely event the car isn't able to regenerate the DPF it'll show a light on the dash.

If you see the light take the car up the motorway in fourth for a few miles, it'll soon regen and the light will go out, you'll then be good again.

8 months in our hands, & a further 23,000 miles added to the existing 7,000, & no issues yet

Hopefully not for a long time, as SWMBO uses it for a lot of motorway mileage; mainly Cardiff & Newport 2-3 times a week on business

A taxi-driver of my acquaintance had real issues trying to sort his DPF out, & not wanting to buy a new one.

(I'm not sure of mileage/conditions of use, so I can't really comment on it)

8 months in our hands, & a further 23,000 miles added to the existing 7,000, & no issues yet

Hopefully not for a long time, as SWMBO uses it for a lot of motorway mileage; mainly Cardiff & Newport 2-3 times a week on business

A taxi-driver of my acquaintance had real issues trying to sort his DPF out, & not wanting to buy a new one.

(I'm not sure of mileage/conditions of use, so I can't really comment on it)

Dealers seem to be very poor at diagnosing DPF problems. Most are faulty sensors. A diagnosis by reputable independent eg Shark would be an idea. A DPF delete by the same would solve the problem for good.

Mark

TBH...There dont seem to be many problems at all with the DPF on CR engines

Its the PD ones that it seems to affect more

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

CR regen aprox every 400 to 600 miles lower on short journeys

, DSG's will hold gears longer just before a regen to get some heat up

, before switching off your engine check the rev counter norm around 800 to 900 , if its around 1000 to 1100 see if you can here the fans running ( there/ its very loud) if so its in regen DO NOT SWITCH OFF theres a counter on failed regens to many and its needs a trip to the stealer, just go for a drive or leave it running till the revs drop plus a few mins to cool down, regens take aprox 10 to 15 minutes

Edited by petetdi
  • Like 1

Hi. Got a problem. I have a 58 plate VRS. It hit 30097 miles yesterday and the DPF light came on.

I usually drive on m/ways at good speeds and give it a good rev on back road. Total commute is usually 40 miles on good quiet motorways with speeds around 80mph.

I drove another 20 miles and the EML light has now came on. I gave the car a wee bit of welly to try and clear the DPF. After I reached my destination 5 miles away I parked my car. 10 mins later I get back in to go home and notice my DPF light has cleared but my EML is still on. 4 miles later and almost home the car starts to kangeroo a wee bit and I hear a funny noise. This happens for the last mile until im home. Once I got out the car i could smell burning oil but theres no oil leaks and the engine temp is good.

Iv not phoned Skoda yet. Was hoping someone here might have some helpful advice for me.

I have a 2007 VRS PD and use it as a taxi. Covered over 70,000 miles and although the DPF regens frequently it has never casued a problem. My mechanic reckons the fact that I only run it on V-Power fuel helps and ALWAYS use the right oil and change it every 8,000 miles. I love the car and will be getting another when the time comes. Having said that however, if i was to experience an issue I would simply have they DPF removed and software updated accoringly. Its far cheaper than getting the system fixed!

Hi. Got a problem. I have a 58 plate VRS. It hit 30097 miles yesterday and the DPF light came on.

I usually drive on m/ways at good speeds and give it a good rev on back road. Total commute is usually 40 miles on good quiet motorways with speeds around 80mph.

I drove another 20 miles and the EML light has now came on. I gave the car a wee bit of welly to try and clear the DPF. After I reached my destination 5 miles away I parked my car. 10 mins later I get back in to go home and notice my DPF light has cleared but my EML is still on. 4 miles later and almost home the car starts to kangeroo a wee bit and I hear a funny noise. This happens for the last mile until im home. Once I got out the car i could smell burning oil but theres no oil leaks and the engine temp is good.

Iv not phoned Skoda yet. Was hoping someone here might have some helpful advice for me.

The EML suggests a sensor fault.

The gas pressure sensor is a known weakness on the PD170 vRS and will result in the symptoms you describe. I know as it failed on my vRS.

You need to get it fixed ASAP as there is a chance that the DPF is not regenerating properly. The longer you leave it then the more likely the DPF will fill to a point it cannot be cleared. This will result in an expensive bill.

• 7 years later...

Hi I have a 2007 vrs, it has now done nearly 120,000 miles. I've had the dpf replaced a couple of years back  but i'm still having trouble with it. The manual suggests driving between 2 and 2.5 revs in fifth gear and I do this regularly but I still have the odd problem. Can anyone suggest anything. The car is great and i really don't want to get rid of it but its getting expensive.

Thanks

2010 VRS CR. The only time we had a DPF issue was when it was remapped a few years back. Had to get it taken off and cleaned (along with EGR, turbo refurb, clutch and flywheel replaced). DPF been fine since. 95,000 miles on it now and still pulls like a train.

Speaking to trusted local indy garage owner today while VRS was in for MOT and they have the kit to clean the DPF's while still fitted for around £200. Would just get them to do it next time.

187,000 miles, CR170 2010, dpf still regens as it should, always clears. But.... it smokes a lot more these days on regen and takes slightly longer to clear.

I also use dpf cleaner (direct into dpf) once a year. Easiest job you'll ever do for £20.

Never in 4 years of ownership have I had warning lights on dash to do with the dpf.

@stewrichI would drive it a little harder than 2-2.5 revs to clear it, more like 3 - 3.5revs in 4th, don't be afraid to clear it out assuming engine is warmed up, decent oil in it and full.

3 hours ago, Kris82 said:

187,000 miles, CR170 2010, dpf still regens as it should, always clears. But.... it smokes a lot more these days on regen and takes slightly longer to clear.

I also use dpf cleaner (direct into dpf) once a year. Easiest job you'll ever do for £20.

Never in 4 years of ownership have I had warning lights on dash to do with the dpf.

@stewrichI would drive it a little harder than 2-2.5 revs to clear it, more like 3 - 3.5revs in 4th, don't be afraid to clear it out assuming engine is warmed up, decent oil in it and full.

Can you give some info on using the dpf cleaner please?

Any photos of the process?

Before adding anything, or going for blasts that may make the issue worse, I'd start with the DPF.

You say it was replaced, do you mean with another DPF or was it removed and remapped? If it was just removed, then the ECU will still be expecting info from the DPF, and since it's not getting this info, it won't operate correctly.

If replaced with another DPF,  was it brand new, second hand or reconditioned?

Was it installed correctly?

Have you had it scanned to see what its ash levels are at? It may be the readings are quite high and therein lies your problem.

37 minutes ago, FatblokeVRS said:

Can you give some info on using the dpf cleaner please?

Any photos of the process?

Little side note: remember car won't start a regen unless you have over 1/4 of a tank of fuel. 

See video of how to add dpf cleaner to dpf, cr170.