Miles to a full tank?

Guest Sib-rs

As Jabozuma says, when compared to big, similar power NA petrols the VRS is very frugal (e.g. my ex golf 2.8 V6 which has, nigh on, identical power and torque to mass ratio as the VRs but returned about half the fuel economy). Point here is that the VRS can be driven economically if you are disciplined, whereas a car like the golf cannot - it always slurps fuel. Smaller turboed 2.0 litre 4 pots, like in the S3, are also pretty thirsty, even when driven carefully (admittedly there's more oomph available), but the VRS is a decent blend of economy with performance and price. Insurance is good too (again this is relative to what you're used to) - group 27; whereas my 2.8 V6 was 35! The look takes getting used to though, my red VRS estate with roof rails, alloys, red calipers and tinted glass looks like a pimped up grandad mobile to me. Sort of a bit squashed and ungainly - but it's growing on me, I might even start wearing a cardigan and smoking a pipe!

^^^ Ha ha ha, absolutely agree with what you wrote!

Ad Lav, same here. My route is hilly as well :( I am getting around 32-38 mpg on circa 40 miles daily work commute. If I hammer it (red line a day keeps mechanic away - quite from one of the members here) I will get 29-30mpg. Ends up in 250 miles per tank.

Most I've done on a single tank is 370 miles. That was a very empty tank, as I was able to put in just over 45 litres afterwards!

I typically fill up around the 310-330 mile mark and can normally put in around 38-41 litres. So there is plenty left in the tank to do another 30-50 miles.

On a long motorway run, going 60-70mph the car would be able to go over 400 miles pretty easily.

So you are saying that your car would down-shift by itself when in "D" while you are going down hill, not braking and car gathers speed?

My one just goes faster in "D7" and will not down-shift unless I start braking and speed drops off to warrant a down-shift.

Tried this last night in as controlled a condition as I could.

Approached the top of the hill at just over 30mph; box was in D6.

Going down hill, speed started to increase (no throttle); about about 34mph I started to apply the brakes to keep the speed at just over 30.

As soon as I touched the brakes, D5. A second later, D4, then another second later, D3. Speed now about 30mph before braking more for the corner.

Corner gave way to a flatter bit, about 25mph by this point, and it was back into D4 on its own, brakes off at this point.

Yes, it does downshift on steep gradients going downhill to provide greater engine braking..but only when you start to apply the brakes.

Edited by philhoward

I did the same thing today and mine doesn't! It just stays in D7 and will not shift unless speed drops! Incredible, this box has a brain!

I must admit I love it! Inoticed it started driving in D on normal, duel saving work commute exactly the same way as I would if it was manual. for example it stays in high gears when I want to accelerate with the traffic, doesn't down shift straight away and rev the engine up, brilliant!

Maybe its the adaptive bit of it - mine's got almost 15k on the clock. Registered July 2012 (unless there's been a DSG update related to the CTHE engine?) and was a factory order, so probably June 12 build. I think the Scirocco did it as well...same powertrain, just with the 160PS map.

it does have to be a pretty good hill to activate it though...

Tried this last night in as controlled a condition as I could.

Approached the top of the hill at just over 30mph; box was in D6.

Going down hill, speed started to increase (no throttle); about about 34mph I started to apply the brakes to keep the speed at just over 30.

As soon as I touched the brakes, D5. A second later, D4, then another second later, D3. Speed now about 30mph before braking more for the corner.

Corner gave way to a flatter bit, about 25mph by this point, and it was back into D4 on its own, brakes off at this point.

Yes, it does downshift on steep gradients going downhill to provide greater engine braking..but only when you start to apply the brakes.

Different car but same gearbox - that is how mine behaves.

Just about every day I take a long descent down Pool Bank on the A658 Bradford to Harrogate Rd - 50mph limit drops to 30 as you enter the village. The gearbox behaves the same every time. Under light braking in the 50 section it drops from 7th to 5th. Even with foot off brake it stays in 5th unless you touch the throttle. Brake a little more for the 30mph and it drops to 3rd which it holds. Keep foot off throttle and as the road levels out it changes up to 4th by which time you need throttle to maintain 30mph. As you touch the throttle it changes up to 5th.

This really is one clever gearbox!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

If you are going to vent your tank in a Petrol Car be sure you are going to then be using about a gallon before parking up.

(You should see the button in the filler pipe,

it is at the front or hinge side inside the tube. Some might look at you fingering your car.)

You will get about £10 extra (7-8 litres in at present prices) after you think you are full.

Press the Black slide in the filler hole and hear the air escape.

maybe do it 2 or 3 times.

I would suggest you only really do it to extend your range before fueling during a trip.

Warning.

Be sure you are using about a gallon before stopping and parking up.

The Expansion room you have filled with fuel is to allow for temperature and pressure changes, so if it gets hot weather wise and your tank has no expansion room,

That is not good.

Hi there guys got trip up to Suffolk so will be using more than a gallon! At the moment the meddles moves off full at about 45-55 miles when I reset the trip! So will see what happens! Seems to not miss a beat on V Power Nitro! Guess Skoda don't put a label saying 98 Ron on the fuel flap for nothing ????

I only used to use the venting trick (with a bit of practice, you catch with with the vapour recovery neck on the nozzle) when about to drive to Germany (filling up in Ashford pre-chunnel on the company UK-only fuel card).  Seems to be a bit variable exactly how much you can get it there extra but my best was getting the other side of Brussels before the range display started to drop (shortly followed by the gauge moving off the end stop).  First time I did it, I thought something was broken..

As George suggests, don't even entertain using it unless you're going to be doing at least 100 miles straight after filling up.