right, how was your VRS to start this morning?

JakeSVRS

No problem starting - glow plug light on for a little longer - I needed fuel urgently and found that the filler release was frozen!

Need to take care here as not a good plan to snap the cable - nice guy in the petrol station gave me some warm water !!

A tad, like you say only for the first second. Just sounds like a typical diesel knock but goes away before you can take much notice.

Perfectly normal. That's just because the oil hasn't circulated around the engine in that first instant. :)

Mine starts first turn of the starter motor, but it takes AGES to clear the inside of the windscreen. You'd think the windscreen vents were blocked (which they're not). It's going back into Skoda because I'm sure the air con isn't working properly.

Perfectly normal. That's just because the oil hasn't circulated around the engine in that first instant. :)

Mine starts first turn of the starter motor, but it takes AGES to clear the inside of the windscreen. You'd think the windscreen vents were blocked (which they're not). It's going back into Skoda because I'm sure the air con isn't working properly.

check the pollen filter is not blocked and one thing to note is aircon does not work at below about 6deg C to prevent the evaporator from freezing up Edited by bluecar1

jake, have a check of the glow plugs, pull the black rubber bus bar off and check continuity, normal give away of a failed glowplug is a lot of whitish diesel smoke as it starts due to one or more cylinders with a glowplug out and not quite having enough compression to fire due to cold clyinder walls

not a vRS (why do some threads always have to be vRS specific?) but a 1.9TDi, no starting issues this morning, yesterday or ever! As mentioned, foot on the clutch to take some load off, wait for the glowplug light to go off, then crank it! Alternatively;

it's a genuine product, but I'd never use it :no:

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Aerosols/Start_Ya_******_Instant_Engine_Starter/#.ULjTUmd1sk4

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i left my vRS at Edinburgh Airport from Tuesday night until Sunday morning and it started without any issues despite sitting out in the cold. The handbrake was a bit stiff to release though but that's to be expected in this weather

Not a Fabia, but having seen others in this thread with the same thing, I thought I'd ask.

Why, when it's cold, do some TDIs kick out blue smoke? My 330d smokes out the driveway for a while when starting from cold, as did my Golf (PD150). I let the DDE/glow plug light go out too on both.