Door card removal?! Mission impossible....

kiddy1

I have gone to seal my doors, broke all of the clips trying to get the card off. Now I have everything unscrewed etc I CANNOT get the top of the door card nearest the window to budge at all. I've pulled, pushed, lifted, kicked and swore at it and it's still bloody stuck :wall:

Someone please advise before I have to buy a new door card as I will have ripped this one off before long :@

Rant over lol.

Thanks

front or back? you have to put your hands under the actuallu rubber type plastic what connects to the material bit of the door if you know what i mean? just push it lol.

There's no way in hell my hands will even be close to fitting behind there lol. I had all sorts up the gap to try and push it up but nothing is working :(

won't it pull away enough to get the sealent gun in there? You only need to seal the bottom 1/2 of the window carrier.

http://www.fabia-vrs...carrier-repair/

Clips with part # http://www.skodapart...rim-clips-34038

Think I will give this method a bash :D

front or back? you have to put your hands under the actuallu rubber type plastic what connects to the material bit of the door if you know what i mean? just push it lol.

There's no way in hell my hands will even be close to fitting behind there lol. I had all sorts up the gap to try and push it up but nothing is working :(

Removing the door card is a piece of ****...

Are you sure you've removed all the screws at the bottom?

The bottom pulls off, it's just the top of the door card that runs along the window... That's the only thing stopping me getting the full door card off.

This is making me seem like a total 'tard, I know this ought to be easy but HONESTLY I have tried and it's not.

However, tomorrow is another day and will witness Round - 2.

Hi,

It is a bit of a pain.

There is a hidden screw being the little panel next to the chrome door open handle, just thought I would check that you have got this one.

Make sure your window is down then I found you just wiggle side to side. Bit scary and it looks like its going to rip the top off e card but I have done it about 5 times now on my doors ( different reasons like sound proofing, speakers, sealing etc) and its still good. You have to get a little fought but not overboard.

If you have to do another door the best tool you can Get is a rubber spatula. You can then slide it around the door card, when you meet the clips just pull the spatular out. Only broke two doing it that way.

Edited by dany2010

The door clips are a new design to the ones originally fitted, and look to me less likely to break on removal. You're almost guaranteed to break some of the old clips on removal IMO.

For trim clips, search the web for car trim tool. Buy decent metal ones rather than the plastic crap. Use masking tape or thin cloths or similar to protect trim/paintwork from the tips of the tools and where it bears against the door metalwork.

As others mentioned, the door card slides straight up - to some degree, to get it off the clip/seal that runs the length of the window. Some wiggling required to get it to move. Try opening the window. Be a bit careful once it moves and make sure you detach the door lock cable before moving it too far.

As Dany2010 says, it will move, it's easy once you know how.

J.

Have you removed the screw behind the tweeter?

Also get some fairy liquid an water in a spray bottle and spray that on the inside, it will act as a lubricant and slide straight out :)

I sealed one of my doors today too. What a horrible job, just wish it was a bit warmer as my hands were frozen!

I too had this issue.

i pulled and pulled and the card started to separate from the plastic top part.

I gave up and I did mine while they were still attached at the top.

I eased them up too enough of an angle to get underneath and then pulled the door shut enough to rest the card on the rear seat so i could work on the seals.

to take these off you need to be a bit forceful, they will give in but try tapping it up close to the door, or you can watch it be done on youtube. it is easier when they are off and you will break them clips just by extras, think its 7 to a door. have fun.

I too had this issue.

i pulled and pulled and the card started to separate from the plastic top part.

I gave up and I did mine while they were still attached at the top.

I eased them up too enough of an angle to get underneath and then pulled the door shut enough to rest the card on the rear seat so i could work on the seals.

+1 for this method on the rear doors, no need to take the door card off completely, just swing it up and rest it on the rear seats.

Quick update: Just had my mate round who is a very good mechanic, he had a load of bother getting the door card off and said it's the biggest pain of a door card he's come across.

After getting the door card off, it soon became evident that the door and foam seal were absolutley dripping with water. Naturally, we decided to try and dry them out to realise that the door is bleeding riveted together.

Tomorow we're drilling the rivets out and drying everything and then sealing the door PROPERLY so it will never leak ever ever ever again.

Maybe some pics to follow :)

• Like 1

Tomorow we're drilling the rivets out

errrr not 100% on this but I think the rives are a specific size, and you can't just use any old rivet. If that's the case, I'd get some fresh rivets to pop back on before taking the old ones off.

http://www.skodaparts.com/product/fabia-door-panel-rivet-2000-2007-23645

your nearest Skoda parts dept might still be open?