Octavia driver looking at Yeti...

7oaksoda

I'm currently running a 1.4 tsi octavia hatchback. Some time in the next few months I'll be looking to change. Last time me and my significant other were at a dealership she commented on having a 4x4 on the drive next time. We looked at a Yeti but I was hoping to get some feedback from current owners before I commit.

Is there a vast difference between a 2wd and 4wd Yeti in drivability? There seem to be more 2wd around.

I'd prefer to stay petrol as only do 12k a year, what sort of mpg does the 1.8 tsi give in the real world? (ie not Skoda's claims!)

Would I regret going from an Octavia to a Yeti in terms of interior/boot space?? Has anyone else gone from Octy to Yeti and did you regret it?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to prep before deciding...

I went from Octavia to Yeti (1.8TSI OCTAVIA L+K estate to Yeti 170TDI Elegance). No regrets though I do miss the boot space a bit on the rare occasion we are 4 people + luggage. No regrets re diesel and I only do 10000 miles a year. We simply like the car. The ease of getting in and out (higher seats) is a major plus for us becoming oldies. It's performance is well up to my Octavia - which by the way was DSG and I do miss that. Genuine measured MPG over 14000 miles is 41.5 mpg - mixed driving but a fair number of shortish runs which the other half does and she is not feather footed like me. However if I had to go back to an Octavia then I would not lose too much sleep. A big factor for us was the two severe winters and the 4x4 beckoned. Got winter wheels/tyres as well and the winters have remained mild ever since :-))

Ok, firstly, mpg. On my 10 mile commute with lots of traffic and stop starting at lights, I got 34+mpg in mine with a stage one map. Standard factory software around 30-32mpg. Maybe of interest is that the guy I work with gets almost identical figures (35.8 currently - yes im sad, I know not only my own figures but others also!!) :giggle: from his Yeti 1.4TSi 2wd. I have to say I think the 1.4 is a cracker but if you need the 4x4 drivetrain its not an option. His felt more agile and crisper when turning in than my 1.8tsi when standard. However, the standard 1.8TSI is far from unwieldy and I preferred the overall drive to the Mk 2 Octavia VRS I had before! Grip from the Haldex 4 system is excellent allowing for higher grip in bad weather, not just for allowing access through muddy fields and snowy conditions.

Im not a lover of modern diesels so Id also say that petrol is the right choice, especially with that annual mileage. On a run, sitting at legal speeds and slightly lower Ive seen in excess of 50mpg (check out my Yeti project journal, I think theres figures from some trips in there).

Boot space. Thats an interesting one. For 95% of the stuff we do, its adequate (we have less height due to having the spare tyre). For the main summer five + week family holiday its a struggle and Id rather have an Octy estate, space wise. It depends what you'll be doing with it. Dont underestimate the flexibility of the interior though. For some trips Ive removed the rear centre and one rear seat and its then half car, half van! :) The little things make a huge difference - like the chassis mounted securing loops at the base of the B-pillar as well as around the boot.

Reliability has been great and mines now on 30,000 miles - only a slight leak from the water pump to note and that was dealt with under warranty. Ive done 13hour + days behind the wheel and eight hour days arent uncommon and its the best long distance cruiser ive had also.

So having had an Octavia Mk1, Mk2 and Yeti, the Yeti is by far the best all round, most complete car Ive owned. I usually swap my cars after two years but this one is a keeper, it truly feels greater than the sum of its parts :)

• Like 1

Very similar experience to Yetiflute here. In my case I've come from a Mk 1 110 TDi Octy estate to a 170 TDi Yeti. Boot space was the biggest worry as we regularly filled the boot for holidays. I have the spare wheel option too, which reduces available space further. However it's enough for short breaks for the family and I bought a 380 litre Kamei Delphin roofbox for longer holidays. That has worked out very well so far. I only do 10-11K miles a year but like the torque in the diesel. MPG has now started to climb a little, coming up to 6K miles - average since new is 40.6 and last three fill-ups have been 41.5, 42.3 & 43.6 (prior to that it's been 39 or 40).

Apart from the lower MPG (average in the Octy was 47) pretty much everything about the car is better. It feels much more competent and composed and is a more relaxing place to be in. If I were making the choice again now I might look a little more at the 140 DSG as I keep hearing such good things about the gear box - anything for an easier life!

• Like 1

I'm currently running a 1.4 tsi octavia hatchback. Some time in the next few months I'll be looking to change. Last time me and my significant other were at a dealership she commented on having a 4x4 on the drive next time. We looked at a Yeti

If what you want is genuinely drive to all four wheels then you can get that in the Octavia estate (or even the Scout), which also has vastly more luggage space than the Yeti. I think the Octy's 4x4 system is the previous generation to the Yeti's (Haldex III rather IV IIRC, although I'm happy to be corrected on that point). In practical terms it probably won't make a lot of odds for 99% of your driving (unless you're actually planning to start off-road driving on a regular basis).

If all your SO is after is the "4x4 look" then of course you don't actually have to get one of the 4x4 variants of the Yeti to have that. The shape has its own advantages, primarily the higher seating position which makes it easier to get creaking bones in and out of the vehicle, as well as improving the view of the road. One disadvantage is that the bluff shape likely has a detrimental effect on MPG.

I too came from a Mk1 Octy, which I absolutely loved, but I love the Yeti more.

We tend to do mostly local driving with longish trips thrown in at random times.

On Sunday we drove up to the O2 (and back) to see a gig.

We have a 140 4x4 Elegance.

Coming back from the O2 in fairly heavy rain with the Cruise Control set just below 80 (GPS indicated about 74/5) and an almost empty motorway was an absolute dream.

The winter tyres kicked up huge amounts of spray but felt as solid as a rock.

Consumption was not good however... probably no better than high 30's. I'm convinced I can do better with cruise control off. I had the instant consumption display showing and when going down hill it never got better than about 80mpg, I can get double that with a feather foot.

4x4 - the handling is superb, there is a section of dual carriageway interspersed with roundabouts between the M27 and Wimborne, I often use the inner lane of the roundabout to get past slower moving vehicles on the nearside and the turn in and acceleration is much better than the octy was.

We are considering an extended tour of europe next year and I have no qualms about doing that in the Yeti, others here have already done that and seem to agree.

If what you want is genuinely drive to all four wheels then you can get that in the Octavia estate (or even the Scout), which also has vastly more luggage space than the Yeti. I think the Octy's 4x4 system is the previous generation to the Yeti's (Haldex III rather IV IIRC, although I'm happy to be corrected on that point). In practical terms it probably won't make a lot of odds for 99% of your driving (unless you're actually planning to start off-road driving on a regular basis).

If all your SO is after is the "4x4 look" then of course you don't actually have to get one of the 4x4 variants of the Yeti to have that. The shape has its own advantages, primarily the higher seating position which makes it easier to get creaking bones in and out of the vehicle, as well as improving the view of the road. One disadvantage is that the bluff shape likely has a detrimental effect on MPG.

The pre FL's used a Haldex generation 2 4wd setup. Post FL use exactly the same as the Yeti - generation 4. :) I contemplated the Scout but from driving back to back I just felt the Octavia platform felt older; less refined with poorer overall handling and lesser quality damping but then it was something like seven years old compared to the newer Yeti. The longer travel suspension have been great for comfort and the ground clearance and decent departure angles very useful for me. :)

My 1.8TSi is saying 29.4 average MPG over several thousand miles of spirited driving on B-roads (however accurate that is, life's too short to manually do it everytime you fill up....!) . I looked at the Octavia Scout but you could tell it was an older platform vehicle.

Recently I have had the option of a new company car, I looked at Q3/Q5/Tiguan/Golf 4Motion/Evoque/Kia etc. I didn't find one I liked more than the Yeti for the mix of size, versatility, performance and standard kit. So I've taken the cash instead!

The pre FL's used a Haldex generation 2 4wd setup. Post FL use exactly the same as the Yeti - generation 4.

Thanks for the clarification.

...from driving back to back I just felt the Octavia platform felt older ... but then it was something like seven years old compared to the newer Yeti.

Good point, I did mean to mention that: the Yeti is an all-round newer design. I suppose that puts Octavia ahead of the Yeti in the schedule for a full re-vamp, though.

Over 24,000 miles from new, my 1.8TSi has averaged 29.11 MPG (calculated from actual litres bought, not the maxidot display), and like deputy, it has included some fairly spirited driving, plus use as Safety Car on the race circuit (where MPG can fall to well under 20 MPG on the day). Also involves some towing of a well loaded 1150kg van trailer where consumption is seen in the low 20's at a steady 55mph.

I suspect that if I weed out the Circuit use and the towing, the average will be in the low 30's - which is in line with the figures on Honest John's website.

All in all, I'm still pleased I went for the 1.8TSi as my annual mileage is under 10,000 and the better fuel consumption of the 2 litre 170hp diesel still wouldn't have covered the extra purchase/insurance/servicing cost (and I don't have any DPF issues). However I suspect that when it eventually comes time to sell, the residual value of a diesel might be slightly higher. Time will tell.

Edited by speedsport

I came from a 2006 2.0PD DSG Octavia Estate. I now have the CR140 DSG.

As first I missed the boot, but have just learnt to pack vertically and generally have no problems. I do about 16,000 miles per year and it is borderline diesel territory. If they did a 1.8tsi DSG, I would seriously consider it.

For me the Yeti is the most comfortable and complete car I have ever owned. I've had BMW's etc in the past, but always ended up changing at about 18 months. I'm at 2 years (almost) and no way am I changing. I enjoy it too much.

Whichever Yeti you go for you will be in for a treat. Better made than my previous Octavia.

reference to FocusZectec removed :rofl:

Edited by rockhopper

I had three Octavia 170 TDi vRS models prior to my Yeti 170 TDi.

I do miss the big boot, I do miss the sporty character of the vRS, I do miss being part of the vRS gang! On the other hand I enjoy the better view from the Yeti driving seat, I enjoy having 4wd just in case, I enjoy the much lower insurance grouping (despite the same engine), I enjoy the luxuries that come with Elegance spec and I enjoy the slightly better towing performance.

Plan to change in 2014, question is will it be another Yeti or an Octavia 3 vRS? Time will tell.

I'm currently running a 1.4 tsi octavia hatchback. Some time in the next few months I'll be looking to change. Last time me and my significant other were at a dealership she commented on having a 4x4 on the drive next time. We looked at a Yeti but I was hoping to get some feedback from current owners before I commit.

Is there a vast difference between a 2wd and 4wd Yeti in drivability? There seem to be more 2wd around.

I'd prefer to stay petrol as only do 12k a year, what sort of mpg does the 1.8 tsi give in the real world? (ie not Skoda's claims!)

Would I regret going from an Octavia to a Yeti in terms of interior/boot space?? Has anyone else gone from Octy to Yeti and did you regret it?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to prep before deciding...

I changed from a 2.0 Tdi Octy estate DSG to a 1.2 Tsi DSG Yeti and do approx 10k a year. Octy was doing an average of 49 MPG and the Yeti is doing an average of 41 MPG - both measured brim full to brim full. The 1.2 Tsi is a brilliant engine, and coupled to the 7 speed DSG is superb because it keeps the car in the right gear for every occasion and - I believe - aids MPG, refinement and performance. Of course, the 1.2 TSi does not have the overall power of the 2.0 diesel but for normal use it is fine, just have to plan high speed overtaking a bit more carefully. Cruises at motorway speed quietly with no problem but the aerodynamics of the Yeti (any Yeti) means that at higher speeds (75+) fuel consumption rises quickly, driving on motorways against a head wind at 70+ I get about 37 MPG but on the return journey with a tail wind that rises to 40+, you just have to be sensible and recognise it is an SUV type vehicle and not a smoooooth saloon/estate.

Only you can work out if there is enough boot space compared with the Octy, if you regularly fill the boot of your Octy then you might have a problem with the Yeti!

Do you need 4 wheel drive? For inclement weather you will be far better off with winter tyres on a 2 wheel drive than 4 wheel drive on summer tyres, the saving by going without 4 wheel drive is better MPG and a far lower price - easily enough for a set of winters on alloy wheels (£700). The 2 wheel drive/4 wheel drive decision is fundamental because you will need winter tyres for a 4 wheel drive because of the need to STOP as well as go! Don't forget that 4 wheel drive cars on summer tyres corner or stop no differently than a 2 wheel drive car on summer tyres in adverse winter conditions - i.e. very badly!!

If you get the 1.8tsi remapped to stage 1, then I believe that the fuel economy is greatly improved - pm FocusZetec for more info.

Keep up Rockhopper, my comments are posted above. ;-) (formally FocusZtec) :-)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Husband and I looking to replace 9 year old Octavia estate with a Yeti possibly 4x4 but worried about DPF problems...! What is the 1.8 TSI like to run ? Mileage about 14k per year.Any advice welcome :kiss: !!!! (P.S...He didnt like the Dacia Duster at all l!! )

Husband and I looking to replace 9 year old Octavia estate with a Yeti possibly 4x4 but worried about DPF problems...! What is the 1.8 TSI like to run ? Mileage about 14k per year.Any advice welcome :kiss: !!!! (P.S...He didnt like the Dacia Duster at all l!! )

At 14K a year I don't think you need worry about DPF problems.

See my post #5 above - Nine year old Octavia to a Yeti as well. Now coming up for 10 months old and 9,500 miles. It seems to do its DPF regen fine, even at low revs (60mph/1800 rpm in 6th) and I've not had the light come on to say one is required. That's with three or four three-mile trips a day, plus longer 10 or 20 mile runs a most days. I use the excuse of Briskoda and other car meets to do longer trips outside of holidays, just in case :giggle:

Thanks !! Any feedback on this forum re Duster?! Now looking at diesel Yeti perhaps....fingers crossed !!. Short trips 8 - 10-13 miles but include dual carriageway, so able to give a good run (depending whats in front !! At legal speed !!!) Trusty Octavia still returning around 40/43 to GALLON !!! (not litres!!) :kiss:

If you can afford to why not keep the Octavia and buy a Yeti as well. This is what we did. The Octavia is a great car for carrying a load, especually if an estate like ours. But the Yeti is in a world of it's own for day to day use. The small 1.2 DSG is so quiet and the gearbox a dream, I am so glad we kept the Octavia for what it is worth to sell on. It will keep being used until it goes to the breakers which even with 146k on the clock still looks many years off. But do make sure you buy the Yeti you will never regret it

I have also just done this. Yeti 1.4TSI on order and keeping the 2.0T VRS as frankly it is worth more to me than the px or private prices. Best of both worlds