Octavia vRS

Here are currently known Mk3 Octy vRS engine numbers. 184bhp diesel and 220bhp petrol.

2.0CR 150bhp Mk3 Octy has 8.5s @0-62mph,

2.0CR 184bhp diesel vRS might have 7.5s @0-62mph or just under

and the 2.0TFSI 220bhp petrol vRS is likely to crack 7s/0-62mph sprint considerably, possibly hitting 6.5s :)

The last 2 have much better rear suspension, of course, matters if you want to drive them hard.

Any emission figures for the vRS?

• 3 months later...

Even if the new vRS has the same bhp/torque figures as the old one, it'll be quicker as it weighs less.

A HGV tractor unit has 500bhp, but it isn't faster than my Fabia...

Even if the new vRS has the same bhp/torque figures as the old one, it'll be quicker as it weighs less.

Which is probably why the Elegance 150ps one I drove felt as nippy as the old Mk2 CR170 in a straight line! Loosing the weight has paid dividends imo. :)

Which is probably why the Elegance 150ps one I drove felt as nippy as the old Mk2 CR170 in a straight line! Loosing the weight has paid dividends imo. :)

Which is why the new Vrs will eat the 150 :)

• Like 1

The diesel 184ps GTD is £560 cheaper than the petrol GTI, I wonder if this will be the same for the vRS ? The relative 0-62 times being GTD 7.5 sec, GTI 6.5 sec.

No, it will be the opposite on the vRS.

Diesel vRS is always cheaper than the petrol one here.

The diesel 184ps GTD is £560 cheaper than the petrol GTI, I wonder if this will be the same for the vRS ? The relative 0-62 times being GTD 7.5 sec, GTI 6.5 sec.

I guess that will be the performance figures for the vRS then - VW quote identical performance figures for the equivalent lesser Golf / Octavia models

Not so sure about that anymore...

Owners manual...

http://ws.skoda-auto... ... Manual.pdf

TSI (page 267)

0-100: 6,8 - 7,1; max V: 242 - 248 ... depends on body type(limo/estate) and transmission (DSG/manual)

TDI (page 269)

0-100: 8,1 - 8,3; max V: 228 - 232 ... depends on body type(limo/estate) and transmission (DSG/manual)

Golf: GTI(6,5)/GTD(7,5).

I don't know about you guys, but i'm disappointed.

Edited by giggs
  • Like 1

Not so sure about that anymore...

Owners manual...

http://ws.skoda-auto... ... Manual.pdf

TSI (page 267)

0-100: 6,8 - 7,1; max V: 242 - 248 ... depends on body type(limo/estate) and transmission (DSG/manual)

TDI (page 269)

0-100: 8,1 - 8,3; max V: 228 - 232 ... depends on body type(limo/estate) and transmission (DSG/manual)

Golf: GTI(6,5)/GTD(7,5).

I don't know about you guys, but i'm disappointed.

Who honestly gives two hoots about 0-60mph?? Thats what chavs care about.

All i care is if it feels fast. A slower car can feel faster than one that is actually quicker plus its in gear flexibility that really matters in reality. How often do we do a 0-60 type sprint in real life? never.

This is why sometimes a diesel car can feel faster than a petrol car despite actually being slower. If the new diesel VRS has plenty of grunt in each gear from low revs then thats all that matters.

• Like 1

@Jockdooshbag

Why do you own a vrs? 1.2TSI feels fast too, since it is 1.2 only.

How can you feel fast if golf GTD with the same engine overtakes you on a highway?

Bottom line. I'm not sure anymore in tranding mine Vrs.

btw... these are going to be optional wheels

RS wheel options (standard "DORADO" 17" 225/45 R17):

- "GEMINI" 18" 7,5Jx18" antracitna s pnevmatikami 225/40 R18 - EUR 284,59

- "GEMINI" 18" 7,5Jx18" s pnevmatikami 225/40 R18 - EUR 171,28

- "PICTORIS" 18" 7,5Jx18" s pnevmatikami 225/40 R18 - EUR 171,28

Edited by giggs

@Jockdooshbag

Why do you own a vrs? 1.2TSI feels fast too, since it is 1.2 only.

How can you feel fast if golf GTD with the same engine overtakes you on a highway?

Bottom line. I'm not sure anymore in tranding mine Vrs.

btw... these are going to be optional wheels

RS wheel options (standard "DORADO" 17" 225/45 R17):

- "GEMINI" 18" 7,5Jx18" antracitna s pnevmatikami 225/40 R18 - EUR 284,59

- "GEMINI" 18" 7,5Jx18" s pnevmatikami 225/40 R18 - EUR 171,28

- "PICTORIS" 18" 7,5Jx18" s pnevmatikami 225/40 R18 - EUR 171,28

EH????

1.2 feels no where near as grunty as a 170bhp diesel. Are u mad???

Golf GTD overtaking me on the highway....eh, wtf u on about?? I assume you are referring to racing on a public highway.

Outwith the boy racer world you live in i dare say the golf GTD is barley any faster than my VRS. In fact ill guarantee it as ive owned both. The perceptable difference in acceleration is so slight as to be totally not noticeable. When one car feels grunty enough one that is gruntier is merely overkill.

If a car can do 0-60 in 7.5 on paper was driven back to back with one only capable of 0-60 in 8.1 then you would barely feel a difference. Whether one car beat the other in one of your street races would be down to which driver got the better start and who was fatter.

I could easily pass an RS4 on the highway but that does not make mine faster. Just means i want to go faster than him.

0-60mph only matter if you like doing track events like quarter mile drag etc but id wager these people are in the minority by a massive margin. Nothing wrong with this hobby but it is totally irrelevant in terms of real world driving. Plus if i liked sprints i would not own a FWD skoda.

Look at the new mazda 6. The skoda beat it to 60mph but the mazda was miles quicker in every in gear acceleration test. This means its engine is more flexible and makes for a far better every day drive and id wager actually feels faster all the time.

1.2 LOL. Get a grip. Id have one in a heartbeat as they are great engines i believe but if you honestly think a 1.2 is a viable comparison to a diesel VRS you are daft.

Edited by Jockdooshbag

I am interested in 0-60/0-100 times and not at all interested in the diesel. :happy:

Apologies for the Chav comment, was probably the wrong thing to say. What i really meant was that 0-60 is only relevant for racing. Id rather have better in gear acceleration than thew ability to get of the line quickly. An i agree if you like 0-60 then diesel probably isnt for u. :happy:

0-60 is not really relevant only to racing, its just another indicator of a cars performance, coupled with in gear times it paints an entire picture of the car.

If you are not interested in 0-60 then a vRS probably isn't for you. :rofl:

• Like 1

Like @Chronicbint wrote. 0-60 is another indicator of a cars performance. I would love to have an engine flexibility spec for every car. It turns out that it isn't as accessible as 0-60 spec.

I see you don't get the point with 1.2 engine. I know few people that own Octavia with 1.2 engine. They claim it feels fast. That's it. No vrs comparison.

Based on what you wrote I suggest you buy a 140hp TDI. It has enough torque an feels fast too.

Don't want to get any more off topic, but must say I agree in what you wrote about better start and who's fatter...

• Like 1

EH????

1.2 feels no where near as grunty as a 170bhp diesel. Are u mad???

Golf GTD overtaking me on the highway....eh, wtf u on about?? I assume you are referring to racing on a public highway.

Outwith the boy racer world you live in i dare say the golf GTD is barley any faster than my VRS. In fact ill guarantee it as ive owned both. The perceptable difference in acceleration is so slight as to be totally not noticeable. When one car feels grunty enough one that is gruntier is merely overkill.

If a car can do 0-60 in 7.5 on paper was driven back to back with one only capable of 0-60 in 8.1 then you would barely feel a difference. Whether one car beat the other in one of your street races would be down to which driver got the better start and who was fatter.

I could easily pass an RS4 on the highway but that does not make mine faster. Just means i want to go faster than him.

0-60mph only matter if you like doing track events like quarter mile drag etc but id wager these people are in the minority by a massive margin. Nothing wrong with this hobby but it is totally irrelevant in terms of real world driving. Plus if i liked sprints i would not own a FWD skoda.

Look at the new mazda 6. The skoda beat it to 60mph but the mazda was miles quicker in every in gear acceleration test. This means its engine is more flexible and makes for a far better every day drive and id wager actually feels faster all the time.

1.2 LOL. Get a grip. Id have one in a heartbeat as they are great engines i believe but if you honestly think a 1.2 is a viable comparison to a diesel VRS you are daft.

I think you probably need to take a breather ;) I think giggs meant that the 1.2 is fast considering it's only a 1.2. Don't forget, English isn't his first language.

• Like 1

English isn't his first language

More like a third.

I'm considering taking English lessons based on Jockdooshbag's reaction. :D

No hard feelings ;)

Edited by giggs
  • Like 1

The "50-70 in top gear" used to a better marker of performance in the real world, but its not an easily acquirable statistic these days..

Edited by philhoward

More like a third.

I'm considering taking English lessons based on Jockdooshbag's reaction. :D

No hard feelings ;)

I only react to nonsense.

0-60 is not a good real world perfromance indicator IMO. Someone thought the 0-60 time was 7.5 but another pointed out it was actually 8.1. Whoopee doo. Hardly "dissapointing". Very very rarely indeed does a scenario occur where we need to accelerate from a standstill to 60mph as quickly as possible and id guarantee never has a situation arisen where by getting there 0.6 secs sooner made any difference. i Doubt anyone got the last chicken in Adsa because they had a golf GTD instead of a VRS.

Also saying i bought the wrong car because i think 0-60 is irrelevant is also a tad silly. Im used to my cars having a certain level of grunt and the VRS is the only one that fulfilled that desire. Also other than the VRS and the scout i think the rest of the mk2 octavias look rubbish.

The VRS was already cheap enough and saved me a fortune so i didnt need to make any more sacrifices.

I think the new one with the 184bhp engine will be superb. I probably wouldnt consider buying one untill it was on some sort of VAT free deal like mine was though.

Anyway no hard feelings to anyone who was offended as i didnt set out to cause offence but there certainly were some silly responses. For the record i also think the 1.2 is a cracking engine so why someone thinks im slating that one is a bit strange.