Octavia vRS

Don't see it. You can only get the front tyres to do so much - trying to transmit over 200 bhp and steer at the same time simply doesn't work. Other than being on first name terms with your local tyre shop.

The last few years have seen progressively more and more BHP being put through the front wheels and it all seems fairly manageable. Renault seem to be doing an excellent job of making very quick hot hatches with the Megane. 

Jason can transmit about 300bhp through front tyres (R888 rubber  or something) in his mongrel and he's quite good at it - just because you cannot do it doesn't mean it is not possible ;)

I don't see how you can comment on my driving skills when you have no idea what my experience is. Suffice to say I do drive a quick sports car, power considerably in excess of 300 bhp, have undertaken several demanding high performance driving courses.

The other issue with FWD cars is to go quick you need as close as you can get to 50/50 front / rear balance. Another major disadvantage!

Can you not take this to a new thread. I'm subscribed on here for mkiii vrs updates. Not the age old argument of diesel vs petrol. Christ you'll be slagging off macs and pc's next :(

I thought we were talking exactly about Octavia III vRS Diesel and Petrol versions pros and cons.

This is not news bulleting but a discussion forum ;).

I'd have no problem with Diesel powered Octy III vRS is the performance was the same as the Petrol equivalent. Then it is straight forward, have a choice of our performance car in two guises, both providing the same performance. As it is Diesel version is too far behind petrol to consider it to be trully in vRS spirit...

I don't see how you can comment on my driving skills when you have no idea what my experience is. Suffice to say I do drive a quick sports car, power considerably in excess of 300 bhp, have undertaken several demanding high performance driving courses.

The other issue with FWD cars is to go quick you need as close as you can get to 50/50 front / rear balance. Another major disadvantage!

50/50 weight distributionm provides for neutral car in terms of balance but is detrimental to a FWD power delivery. Traction is directly proportional to normal force acting on the wheel i.e. how much weight presses it to the tarmac, take it away and indeed you will be spinning the wheels and going nowhere. As for the Sports Car "in excess of 300bhp" it is far easier to drive high powered car with lots of grip than low powered car with little grip.

Don't take it personally, I do not really care about your driving skills and I am sure they are much better than mine, treat it as a figure of speach if you will, after all I do not know you in RL :)

Well my Octavia vRS CR DSG combi frankly beats the ass out of my Fabia vRS combi I had not so long ago, better looking, better built, better to drive and a damn sight more frugal all the while not being huge sums slower than the Fabia though the Fabia vRS die-hards would never have it. I was pretty sick of mine after two months having it as a daily drive, handled badly, had terrible brakes and was returning a 32mpg average....and I never thought it felt that quick.

Edited by pipsyp

If you watched the new TopGear this Sunday there was a test of new hot hatches and the drag race was the best illustration of how does it look to be 1 sec (or whatever) short in 0-60 drag race and any overtaking is a drag race of sorts, especially when the one you overtake is not willing to cooperate ;)

If I remember correctly, they picked the slowest as the best (Fiesta ST), so I don't think that furthers your argument much!

In truth, in a manual car, the drivers ability to change gear quickly combined with the gear ratios of the car are what make the difference. If second gear runs out at 57 mph in one car, but 62 in a second car, then all other things being equal, car 2 will be quicker to 60 as the driver only has to make one gear change rather than two.

As for the diesel v petrol debate of course everyone has their own views, but in general the differences in day-to-day driving rarely feel as big as the figures suggest in performance terms. However, I'm sure the petrol feels more nimble as there's less weight over the front axle. But I'd still buy a diesel estate, as come resale time it would fetch at least (if not more than) the difference in price and would be easier to sell too.

And as for the list price, well I would expect the Octavia to be between the price of the Leon and the Golf, which is what it is. This time though, the Leon looks like a much better car than it's predecessor - I think it has much of the Golf cabin architecture, whereas the old one was designed and made by Playmobil.

• Like 1

If I remember correctly, they picked the slowest as the best (Fiesta ST), so I don't think that furthers your argument much!

Yeah but if there was a Fiesta SQ that was the quickest it would have been picked over the Fiesta ST. The reason it won was due to handling, interior etc which are different between the cars. This is not the case here where apart from the weight differences the rest is all virtually the same. It still illustrated the the effect of the quicker car. Whether its a straight line or round corners its still quite a bit of difference

• Like 1

In truth, in a manual car, the drivers ability to change gear quickly combined with the gear ratios of the car are what make the difference.

Don't forget you need to take the handbrake off first as well!  :giggle:

I cannot believe this thing still has a bl00dy handbrake, bring out the dinosaurs man!!!! lol

I've been driving a Golf GT TSI with an electronic handbrake and I have to say it's the best invention since sliced bread.......in fact that car is so bl00dy good I'm trying to convince myself I don't need 2 litres anymore  :giggle:

Edited by adder

...This time though, the Leon looks like a much better car than it's predecessor - I think it has much of the Golf cabin architecture, whereas the old one was designed and made by Playmobil.

The interior of the Leon might share bits behind the scenes with the Golf but the look of the dash is totally different to the Golf's and a fair few rungs lower in quality. Leagues better than the "Playmobil" interior of old yes. But if that was a 3/10 interior and the new Golf's is 9/10 (in piano black, 8/10 in silver) the new Leon is about a 6/10. I was very disappointed when I sat in it. Octavia mk III interior: 8/10. [but then go sit in a new Toyota Auris to see a true modern Playmobil interior. That's ghastly. 1/10 at most]

So as an alternative to the Octavia the Leon is a good bet, if you can live with the interior. The old one was an outright never in my book, the new one, just a no thanks, I'll take a vRS.

• Like 2

Still interested to see what type of calipers they use on the new vRS. Pics from a page 18 show 2 different types of bake setup. I'm certain they will use the 312mm setup but perhaps and option for the bigger 345mm? Perhaps Skoda have been busy with clip art again......

Wow this thread exploded today lol

The superb is a nice car but its no vrs. My parent bought a new superb and its a really nice car to drive.

Iv just bought a 2012 vrs tdi and there's no comparison really. The vrs is a real drivers car.

Also the superb while been nice has a really ugly rear end!

It seems people are forgetting the Superb V6, which will leave behind any standard VRS (as it did last night, infact ;) )

It also has better suspension than standard superbs and the largest brakes on any RG Skoda (and of course, 4x4) and it goes round corners well. I'm going to compete in a hillclimb in it sometime :D

Also, when the new VRS comes out, I'll be in the market for one. I'll look at the FL superb (170 CR) and the VRS :)

The Superb V6 is in a different league all together drive-train wise and no one in their right mind will dispute that. :)

The V6 and the VRS don't really compete with each other on pretty much anything.

It seems people are forgetting the Superb V6, which will leave behind any standard VRS (as it did last night, infact ;) )

It also has better suspension than standard superbs and the largest brakes on any RG Skoda (and of course, 4x4) and it goes round corners well. I'm going to compete in a hillclimb in it sometime :D

Also, when the new VRS comes out, I'll be in the market for one. I'll look at the FL superb (170 CR) and the VRS :)

Problem with the V6 is that 260hp isnt really a huge sum for a 3.6 litre car, also the superb is a big heavy car with 4wd....its power to weight ratio whilst decent wont be anything particularly special hence why it cant break 6 seconds 0-60. Also being an NA engine not the most tunable of things.

A stage 1 petrol vRS would be more than a match for one of these, less weight, similar power and more torque, be no contest. Go to the trouble of doing a KO4 conversion on one which wouldnt cost much and it'd be left for dead.

I have to say i actually wouldnt expect a huge performance difference between one of these and a standard MK3 vRS petrol DSG.

The V6 Superb is not really designed to be a really fast car its designed for the smoothness. It won't be really quick but for a bgi car it will be effortless, thus the use of the big engine.

• Like 2

Anything more than 200 bhp in a front wheel drive car is a complete waste of time and tyres. You just can't get enough traction and when you do it's understeer all the way. Yuk.

Simply not true any more. Trust me, 212bhp and 360ftlbs and no understeer on my car - LSD is key. That's why you want to hope they'll offer the performance pack on the vrs. Stranger things have happened.