Octavia vRS

My guess would be across the entire Skoda range as the dealer was hinting that that's what the new offer would be. Skoda UK want to get away from the VAT free offers.

Good thing too since VAT free deals are never good for resale values.  Your resale value is based on the book value for the car at sale which INCLUDED VAT.  Changing it to a 0% PCP, the resale value is based on something more sensible than book value minus twenty percent and the discount is taken up "invisibly" relative to the book value inside the PCP deal.  

Book value = £20,000.  You pay £16,000.  Over three years you lose say 50% in value so the car is worth £8,000 at the end.  But the book value says it was £20,000 new.  So it looks like the brand has bad resale value at 40% but in fact it is really 50% retained value.  To the person buying it its just swings and roundabouts but to a car brand, a VAT free deal only leads to a reputation of having bad resale values (like Citroën has for ALWAYS doing deals).

Good thing too since VAT free deals are never good for resale values. Your resale value is based on the book value for the car at sale which INCLUDED VAT. Changing it to a 0% PCP, the resale value is based on something more sensible than book value minus twenty percent and the discount is taken up "invisibly" relative to the book value inside the PCP deal.

Book value = £20,000. You pay £16,000. Over three years you lose say 50% in value so the car is worth £8,000 at the end. But the book value says it was £20,000 new. So it looks like the brand has bad resale value at 40% but in fact it is really 50% retained value. To the person buying it its just swings and roundabouts but to a car brand, a VAT free deal only leads to a reputation of having bad resale values (like Citroën has for ALWAYS doing deals).

Does however probably mean putting down a whopping deposit which is never a great thing on a PCP deal, particularly if youre not likely to buy the car at the end of the term.

I dont personally like putting down much more than 10% on a PCP.

As an owner of 2 Octavia vRS's I felt the new car is too big, looks bad from the back, and as posted previous have jumped ship and gone for the Leon FR with the 184BHP diesel. I would not be surprised if a fair few vRS owner migrate to the new Leon FR to be honest

Have you got the leon fr or waiting on it?

This is an option for me as well.

• Like 1

Does however probably mean putting down a whopping deposit which is never a great thing on a PCP deal, particularly if youre not likely to buy the car at the end of the term.

When we bought SWMBOs OctyII, before all the vat free offers, we still got 15% discount, by coincidence vat was also only 15% at the time, but we also got 0% finance over 3 years with only 30% deposit (mainly covered by trade in) and 3 years free servicing. I still recon that was a better deal than the current vat free, 20% off deal as the finance saving was worth over £1200. If you are prepared to haggle, there will still be good deals out there, they just won't be as blatant as the current offers.

Agreed, I was told by a dealer when I bought Mrs F a Mini that PCP worked best with a small deposit.

Agreed, I was told by a dealer when I bought Mrs F a Mini that PCP worked best with a small deposit.

I'm not sure how they work that out, as unless its on 0% finance you'll pay more interest.

• Like 1

I'm not sure how they work that out, as unless its on 0% finance you'll pay more interest.

Doh! Fell for the forked tongued salesman speak! Yes, that makes sense.

Slovakian pricelist + few new pics
http://www.skoda-auto.sk/SiteCollectionDocuments/cenniky/Nova_Skoda_Octavia_RS_cennik.pdf

Loaded vrs with pictoris rims
d51915e8fd23c28f763cc2b11cdb8890.jpg

a lot more pics here (probably brochure pics):
http://www.autoforum.cz/predstaveni/skoda-octavia-rs-2013-kompletni-fotky-z-katalogu-odhaluji-nevidene-detaily/

colors
Skoda_Octavia_III_RS_2013_katalog_komple

Edited by giggs
  • Like 2

Just below £25k for Estate Petrol DSG.... same as Superb Elegance GreenLine Estate or SE 170PS TD CR - I would go with Superb really,  no brainer, much more car for the same money :).

Octy vRS looks rather overpriced now?

Have you got the leon fr or waiting on it?

This is an option for me as well.

Not yet, as am just ordering, BUT Seat are now doing the Tech pack on the FR for free. So £22,375 gets the 184BHP diesel Leon + LED lights + sat nav + DAB, all in. Add in that standard kit includes parking sensors, cruise, etc, etc and the reviews saying it is a stormer to drive as the 184 has the multi link suspension and it really was a no brainer for me

Edited by Dope007
  • Like 1

The Leon FR is starting to look like a tastier proposition that the Octy for those who don't need the space.   The Tech pack was £500 if you ordered before the end of June but it's now free if you order before the end of September, which makes it even sweeter.

• Like 1

Just below £25k for Estate Petrol DSG.... same as Superb Elegance GreenLine Estate or SE 170PS TD CR - I would go with Superb really, no brainer, much more car for the same money :).

Dont know about that Jabo; the vRS is a massively versatile car still; also neither of those cars provides sub 7 sec 0-62 acceleration or 150+ top speed potential or will likely drive as well.

Whist the car has gotten a bit more expensive I do also suspect Skoda UK will more or less follow suit with the rest of EU and provide a decent standard spec level; probably be like the Golf GTi whereby it'll probably not get nav but will get 18" wheels, bi xenons and Elegance spec on the whole.

If the spec is poor at £25k I wouldnt buy one but genuinely dont think itll be the case. They'll make a mistake by not continuing the VAT deals though, the discount was the main reason i bought our Fabia and Octavia; wouldnt have been prepared to pay anywhere near list price for one.

Just below £25k for Estate Petrol DSG.... same as Superb Elegance GreenLine Estate or SE 170PS TD CR - I would go with Superb really,  no brainer, much more car for the same money :).

So you only want the most car you can get for your money and prefer a chipolata Superb over a decent Cumberland Octavia vRS?  If size is all you care about can I point you to the Ssangyong Rodius replacement the Turismo then:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ssangyong/first-drives/ssangyong-turismo-20-ex-auto-first-drive-review

Much more car for your money than that you won't easily find.   :giggle:

There is just no contest in my book between a Superb and a vRS for the same money.  One is for little old ladies :angel: driving to the church and back and the other for devils  :devil: that like driving.  (Apologies to any Superb owners...  I trust you realise this comes from a Yeti owner so read in that what you may!)

Horses for courses. I alredy have Fabia MK2 vRS and Octy vRS is simply not needed, especially when I can drive circles around it in my Fabster :).

SSangyong reference is rather missed, can't see any relevance really ... We are talking Skoda here, not some ditchfinder motoring.

Simply put the pricing structure for  Octy III vRS is wrong. Nobody in their right mind would pay more for Octavia than for the equivalent Superb, makes no sense at all!

<snip>Octy III vRS is wrong. Nobody in their right mind would pay more for Octavia than for the equivalent Superb, makes no sense at all!

But there is no equivalent Superb? There is no Superb vRS - so for those drivers wanting a family sized Skoda "performance" car then the Octy vRS is the only choice, surely?

• Like 2

SSangyong reference is rather missed, can't see any relevance really ... We are talking Skoda here, not some ditchfinder motoring.

Then a lot of jokes must pass you by as well...  lighten up.   :giggle:

The Leon FR is starting to look like a tastier proposition that the Octy for those who don't need the space.   The Tech pack was £500 if you ordered before the end of June but it's now free if you order before the end of September, which makes it even sweeter.

I'd prefer my VW Clone assembling by some hardworking industrious czech's than some lazy spanish siesta gringo.

metaphorically runs and hides :giggle:  :ph34r:

• Like 1