4k for a new motor.

Callum82

The title says it all really.

It's not a car for myself but my parents, I've been given the task of spending their money which is more tricky than it sounds. My brain is trained to look for things they have absolutely no desire to own. They do about 2000 miles a year but do take the grandchildren out so it needs to be a decent size.

I took them to see a 2004 Passat PD130 highline, heated leather etc. They liked it, I however didn't and the salesman was a ****. The Passat was big, my mother couldn't reverse it even with parking sensors!

Maybe something slightly smaller yet still having a decent boot? Engine size/MPG are of no real concern but I'd like to stick to 4 cylinders.

A4 1.8T possibly if I can find one close enough, something like that...

Any other ideas?

Honda Jazz?

Cheap Hyundai of some sort (i30?)

Suzuki SX4

Honda CRV petrol,

Whatever it is I'd suggest a non-turbo petrol since it's likely to be sitting around a lot or not doing many miles and complexity is the enemy of reliability.

Honda Civic 1.6 Vtec Executive. Boring to drive but exceptionally reliable, great space (in the rear particularly and decent boot) and loaded with kit.

Something like this:

http://classifieds.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/honda/civic/honda-civic-1-6-i-vtec-executive-5dr--heated-leather-seats/751125

Thanks for the replies.

I've had a brief look though everything suggested and just about managed to stay awake! So far it looks like the Civic or Corolla in terms of what they need. Any idea what the boot space is like? They currently own a 206 and the boot is far too small according to them and their monthly trip to tesco :think:

Thanks for the replies.

I've had a brief look though everything suggested and just about managed to stay awake! So far it looks like the Civic or Corolla in terms of what they need. Any idea what the boot space is like? They currently own a 206 and the boot is far too small according to them and their monthly trip to tesco :think:

It's much bigger then the 206 boot and class competitive by even today's standards. The rear cabin space is great for kids sliding in and out as the floor is totally flat - no central tunnel in the floor whatsoever. I bought the mrs one back in 2005 and it was a cracking thing. :-)

Toyota Corolla? A lot of car for the money and very reliable.

+1 on the Corolla - Verso if they're of an age where they don't like getting down into cars.

Gaz

Toyota Corolla? A lot of car for the money and very reliable.

Yep that's where my money would go. Better car than the auris too. Go for a 1.4 colour collection, good spec and very reliable