My Track Toy

Cossie1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I found time last month to fit the Forge TIP and the ebay CAI with K&N filter, all was fine, but when I drove the car the following day, the boost started surging and the car started to misfire and loose power at 5500rpm in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gears.

Anyway after a few weeks of trying to get to the bottom of it (swapping all sensors from my other vrs, replacing lambda sensor and even trying 3 fuel pumps and a 4bar fpr), it seemed everything was ok again.

So I booked the car in with R-tech to be remapped.

The mapping started well, within 45 mins the car was kicking out a healthy 248bhp / 298lbft however when Nick tried to push for more, the car started misfiring again.

Turned out that the ecu was adding fuel at a rate of around 18% when under hard load (5500rpm) which meant that a safety feature of the ecu was kicking in and cutting the power.

So the power was capped at 245bhp / 295lbft until I found the cause of the problem, but Nick says there is more to come as it seems to flow very well (which is nice :)). He also put on his linear throttle map, and this has transformed the way the car drives, it feels SOOO much better now.

The following day I fitted a brand new cupra R fuel pump, but this didn't fix the issue, so I ordered a set of brand new Cupra R injectors.

Whilst I was waiting for the injectors to arrive, I decided to try a 4bar fpr again as I was now running a 4bar cupra R fuel pump, and the problem had gone away, and the ecu was now removing fuel at around 15% at the top end.

So it seems that the issue I had, was a failing 3bar fpr and that in turn was causing the standard 3bar fuel pump go weak.

So I need to order a new 3bar fpr and then fit that and the cupra R injectors and go back to R-tech for the map to be tweaked again :)

Anyhow I was on track at castle combe on Saturday, and the car performed very well, the only issue I had all day, was the brakes failing TWICE :D lol

The first time the pedal was going soft, and then after a quick pump it would be back again, so I went into the paddock and let the car cool down for a bit, and checked the brake fluid level, all seemed fine, and once cooled down the pedal was spot on again.

So I took to the track again, and about 15 mins later the pedal started to go soft again, but it was still consistent for a couple of laps, until it the pedal went again and had to be pumped, this time it was much worse, as I had no pedal at all, until I pumped it.

On the way back into the paddock, the pedal went completely, my foot went to the floor and no amount of pumping the pedal gave me any brakes.

So I let it all cool down over lunchtime, and then had a look about.

The rubber hose from the brake reservoir had lost 1 of it's clips and moved down the brake pipe. So I pushed the pipe back on fully and fitted a jubilee clip, checked the level and the pedal pumped up and felt normal again :D.

So I took to the track again (taking it very easy for a few laps as I was very unsure of what would happen with the brakes). Anyhow it all turned out fine, the brakes were nice and consistent again.

Sadly there was only 1 dry session all day, and even that wasn't totally dry.

I did over do it a little at 1 point, but luckily I managed to recover quickly.

I have to say the linear throttle map that R-tech did is truly awesome, it's like driving a car with a cable throttle now and gives you complete control, so you can balance the car on the throttle much better.

All in all, it was a great day, despite the weather and I can't wait for the next one now :D

Anyway enough talking, here are some pics and a couple of vids (helmet mounted gopro).

1_zps1ed8263b.jpg

2_zps4b8a6df2.jpg

3_zps361596b1.jpg

4_zps9accbf86.jpg

5_zpsdc10eadc.jpg

6_zpsd91862eb.jpg

7_zpsa3e7dcd6.jpg

8_zps65e10898.jpg

9_zps15e224ba.jpg

10_zps829faf29.jpg

11_zps9f3d7ac9.jpg

12_zps6106a393.jpg

13_zps893d24dd.jpg

14_zps006383a2.jpg

15_zpsa8a2cb35.jpg

16_zps8e901039.jpg

17_zpsbba098ac.jpg

18_zpsade14d47.jpg

19_zpsd6d4eaf9.jpg

20_zps5d32211d.jpg

21_zps3d07d3cb.jpg

22_zps7bbcf8f7.jpg

23_zpsc1940d37.jpg

24_zps13f29ce9.jpg

25_zpse5209eae.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Ok so since the last trackday I haven't done much more with the car.

I fitted a short shifter, as the selector on my car was a little sloppy and this seemed the easiest way to tighten it up a little, and it worked, it's not perfect but atleast 50% better than it was.

The aircon was removed, the pump and all pipework from the engine bay, except for the condensor, as I haven't got around to removing the front bumper again yet.

I also bought and fitted a BSH Race oil catch can.

Then it was back to R-tech to get the map sorted as the car was running mega rich with the LCR injectors fitted.

It came away with 251bhp / 303 lbft which I was more than happy with.

The brakes were checked over and bleed through again, after the last trackday as they had gone a bit spongy due to the pipe coming off and allowing air into the system.

Once again i'm sorry for the lack of photo's of work that has been done, I really am useless at that sort of thing.

Anyhow the car was back on track yesterday at Castle Combe, and it was great to drive it in the dry on a warm track.

The first 2 sessions (well they were only about 5 mins each due to getting red flagged), I wasn't comfortable with the car, but then I managed to get my driving position sorted and it was much better.

After a couple of sessions, the brakes were were juddering, and smoking when I got back into the pits, and then after being sat for a few mins the pedal was going to the floor. It looked like when I pushed the pedal that fluid was running onto the wheel, so I jacked it up and removed the front wheel, but no signs of any fluid anywhere, however the rubber dust caps were melting (guess it was hot then lol).

So I let it cool a little, and removed all 4 dust caps from the bleed nipples on the front brakes.

Checked the fluid level and it was fine and once cooled down the brake pedal was fine again (very odd).

So back to combe and on the next session it felt fine again and no real issues, but as soon as I came off the track, the pedal went soft in the paddock again. Once again the front brakes were smoking (passenger side this time), but no signs of any leaks, I looked in the engine bay and the hose that came off last time was weeping, so I removed the clip and fitted a jubilee clip as the standard clip didn't seem to be doing it's job. I topped up the brake fluid level once it had all cooled down again (didn't take much) and once again hit the track.

The brakes were perfect for that session and didn't smoke or go soft when I got back into the paddock either, so problem solved :)

Now I needed fuel as I was down to under 1/4 of a tank (my mate still have over 1/2 tank in his cupra and had done the same amount of track work), so I went and found a shell station, it was only about 10 miles away, but £1.54 a litre :(

I got back to combe with just enough time for 1 last session, so I went out, and all was great, a couple of times the steering felt "odd" and went heavy when turning into bobbies (2nd chicane) but other than that, all was great, until the brake pedel hit the floor again at tower when approching at just over 100mph, luckily I managed to pump it up a little and slow the car enough to get around again.

Back into the paddock and the pedal is on the floor, and the passenger side is smoking nicely. No signs of fluid anywhere and the jubilee clip is holding the problematic hose in the engine bay just fine as it's dry unlike before.

Anyway once cooled a little the brake pedal is back to normal, so as that was the end of the day, it was time to remove the R888's and put the road wheels back on.

Both front R888's are wearing now on the inside 1/2 of the tyre (I have done 2 previous trackdays on them with minimal wear, but they were both cold and one was wet also), so the first dry warm track and they were gripping very well and didn't really feel like they were going off, but they have certainly had some use now lol.

Also there was cv greese everywhere, all over the inside of the passenger front wheel, over the inside of the caliper, on the disc backplate and also on the coilover (so I know why it was smoking soo much after the last session), a quick look at the cv boot and it looks like the clip is missing and the boot has torn.

Anyway road wheels on, and set off home, except 2 miles later the car felt like the passenger front wheel was going to fall off :(

So looks like I need a new cv joint / driveshaft (which I have ordered today and I am hoping I will have it intime to fit before this weekend).

Anyway all in all it was a good day, and once the driveshaft is sorted I will need to sort out what to do with the brakes as it's either a case of I am too agressive with them (late(ish) and hard braking), or the pads (Carbon Lorraine RC8) are too agressive and keep too much heat in the caliper (the red paint has gone brown), and therefore is boiling the fluid (ATE Super Blue Racing).

Pics from yesterday:

1_zps6b4f0716.jpg

2_zpsf26961cf.jpg

3_zps3cb93089.jpg

4_zpsf321b0d1.jpg

5_zps34d2413a.jpg

6_zps9e5fd955.jpg

7_zpsd39149ab.jpg

8_zps5c0cde95.jpg

9_zps07f57244.jpg

10_zpsd7dfaaa7.jpg

11_zpsa9310517.jpg

12_zps19ab2ed9.jpg

13_zps76275e0b.jpg

14_zps423b765a.jpg

15_zps95e5fa3d.jpg

16_zpsb51e251a.jpg

17_zpsb22be6c0.jpg

18_zps380b4444.jpg

19_zpsb552a492.jpg

20_zpsb5334d53.jpg

21_zps531d74d2.jpg

22_zps1e6d91f9.jpg

23_zps67a13ee9.jpg

24_zps3463bcd6.jpg

25_zps21303925.jpg

26_zps38ccb542.jpg

27_zpsffed4277.jpg

29_zps754ef36a.jpg

28_zpscfc8814c.jpg

30_zps4e579c65.jpg

And finally some video's from yesterday.

I think I need to sort a decent mount out for the gopro, not keen on it being stuck to the side of my helmet, too much movement and vibration.

I also had a play with the settings, so some video's are set to medium lens and the others narrow, the video's posted before were set to wide which is why it looks so far back in the car.

• Like 4

Well last tuesday I ordered a complete driveshaft from ebay (£34 delivered) it comes with a 2 year, unlimted mileage, no quibble warranty (just he ticket :D).

It arrived next day too :)

Got it fitted easy enough (I was shocked that I managed to get the hub nut off, without power tools).

Anyway the car was at castle combe on saturday for the Spring Action Day, only did the 1 session (was meant to be skoda only but ended up mixed with all sorts of stuff).

Was good fun, but the first couple of laps the rear tyres felt soft and took a while to heat up, the fronts by the end were shot, not alot left on them now lol.

Anyway this is the video for anyone that hasn't already seen it.

You seem to be fighting it a bit on the corners. Lack of grip? LSD needed? :D

Yes I think an LSD would help, but to be fair there isn't a huge amount left on the front R888's either now.

• Like 1

Join freedom if you wanna sell

Lmfao ;-)

???

I take it a post has been removed that i've not seen.

This is one of my favourite cars on here! Love it!

This ^^

Life line 2000 plumb in fire extinguisher with wiring and pipe £70 + p&p

I know it's something I really should have, but i'm lazy and would never get around to fitting it.

• Like 1

Looking good, I'v looked at a few Octavias thinking about stripping and tracking one. They are a bit lardy bit I reckon you could dump a fair amount of weight out. How'd you rate is as a track car?

I'm running the same brake setup on my Fabia, smashed them all day last month, no issues at all an I really was giving them death. Slap some DS2500s on there and get back out there!

Looking good, I'v looked at a few Octavias thinking about stripping and tracking one. They are a bit lardy bit I reckon you could dump a fair amount of weight out. How'd you rate is as a track car?

I'm running the same brake setup on my Fabia, smashed them all day last month, no issues at all an I really was giving them death. Slap some DS2500s on there and get back out there!

It is a bit lardy tbh, but it's also great fun as you have to work with it, rather than just turn in and drive through the corner.

I think DS2500's will be too soft for me tbh, I might give DS3000's a go.

Ok so last week I got around to fitting the LCR subframe, wishbones, hubs and steering rack that have been in my garage for the last month or so.

Wasn't too bad a job to do as I had access to a 2 poster ramp which made things much easier.

The only downside was that the o/s/f abs sensor was broken and it took me longer to replace this (as the cheap gsf part just wouldn't fit the hole) than it did to swap the subframes over lol.

Still all done now, not really driven it much, but the steering is now pretty heavy (it was reasonably heavy anyway due to the rear arb being set to stiff), but now it's heavier but I kinda like that.

Once I get the tracking done i'm sure it will be awesome :D

Also fitted an ABD racing intake manifold, and a widemouth front bumper with milotec side vents and LCR spliter (just need to borrow a grinder so I can cut out the crashbar to allow more air in).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Last week I swapped the suspension over, so removed the Prosports and replaced with Weitec Hicon GT's.

On the road the Weitec's are slightly stiffer, but there really isn't much in it.

Last weekend I went and picked up a set of Audi S3 rims, with some used Yoko A048's fitted, so today I removed the Yoko's and fitted the 2 best to my TT track rims, so I will be running A048's on the front and R888's on the rear.

I fitted new front discs as the old ones (new 2 months ago and done less than 500 miles) were warped and at the same time fitted some DS3000's ready for monday.

Also flushed the brake fluid through as i'm sure it was boiled on the last track day.

Anyway first time I put some pressure onto the brake pedal, I managed to lock the fronts, so I guess that means there working lol.

If I can get hold of a grinder over the weekend, I will cut out my crashbar to allow a little extra air into the fmic, as it's meant to be warm on monday, so I figure it's going to need all the air it can get lol :D

• Like 2