The Yeti Facelift - December

Freshacre

Seems that we now know that this will be due in December, having been "told" by SUK, and other places.

I have two questions, really. What do we all wish for? And what do we expect?

I expect the nose to be remodelled to match the corporate "look" and thereby lose all sense of individuality for the Yeti. I expect the rear end will be given a 'slope' - and end up, again, like so many other SUVs.

I would like an extended tail end, yet keeping the upright rear door and the height. And extended tail would give more space inside, and would probably cost too much for a cosmetic update.

I'd also like a 'taller' windscreen taking it higher than now, so that perhaps the rear view mirror could be shifted upwards! I'd also like a more robust big box between the seats, and one that can usefully be used as an armrest.

G

I suspect that you are right about the front end, which will be a shame, as currently it shows it's different and has a uniqueness.

Hope the back isn't sloped as it will loose it's practicallity, plus I think they all look "heavy" because of it, and currently although boxy it does have a "lightness".

Doubt that the rear overhang will be increased as doing so decreases it's attack angle, plus it will spoil the excellent towing ability and stability the lack of overhang gives.

I would like better lights without going down the HID route. Seperate H7 bulbs with good reflectors, like the later Freelander 1's would be fine, plus somewhere to mount a set of auxillary lights.

A better/extra front auxillary power socket, perhaps somewhere near the driver's A post to plug a sat nav or phone chargher into, it would save have leads across the dash.

Yellow paint colour, but not metallic.

16" wheels and tyres as a no-cost option against vehicles supplied with 17" wheels.

Better folding rear seats, plus lighter to remove.

What I hope for(well what i think, I hope it's horrid so my Yeti retains value).

A redesign of the channels above the door so you don't get soaked when opening the window from when it rained two days ago

A slight change to the side to stop stone chipping without having to have foils

More power sockets (would be nice to have one near the dash)

MDI (that's the mp3 connectivity thing I think)

The arm rest sorted out (so you can properly fold rear seats at least!)

A more violent way of reclining the front seats (nothing more embarrassing to have to turn the dial a thousand times, rather that just yanking a lever when with 'company'<i was innocent till i started reading bobdogs posts!>)

ESP standard on all models

In reality,

the corporate facelift for sure(hopefully with round fogs still)

More aggressive lines with angrier alloys

Perhaps its to early to think about a tweak in the design for a match up to a possible 7 seater

Probably less quality and good stuff as standard to fit better into the VAG range whilst price remaining the same

Major wishes

2 boot lights, redesigned rear folding seats, redesigned jumbo box/arm rest that doesn't take up rear seat well space, roller blind boot cover, work on reducing rear tailgate muck redesigned mud flaps, DAB radio (don't start the dab / no dab discussion please) an option would do. Spare wheel rework not taking up extra boot space.

Easy access to all light bulbs...(indicator bulbs especially).

1.4TSi DSG

Work to improve reliability...as too many wide ranging faults (me and on this forum).

Improved product training for dealers and a more customer responsive approach. More like Honda....

Improved sensible english user manual (not translated from the Chinese version (lol)

Very major wish ..User friendly and MORE knowledgable Skoda Customer Care UK.

Get rid of website car configurator if you can't make it work.

More flexible car optional extras and extended warranties

What do I EXPECT...MOST OF THIS ESPECIALLY THE SMALL PRACTICAL ITEMS WILL BE IGNORED

Even when they have had 3 years of feedback from this forum!!

Edited by kibby

They can give it the new corporate face but keep the round DLR/fog light housings where they are.

IMHO the fog lights are currently too high to get under proper fog.

Stick em in the lower bumper, where those funny shaped covers are.

Leave the DRLs where they are and use the other half of them for high beam lamps.

(Or at least give the car twin lens headlights)

Taller jumbo box to make it actually useable as an armrest.

The back of it shortened to allow the middle rear seat to fold forward properly.

Twin boot lights that are brighter (LED preferable)

Bluetooth as standard would be nice but not essential.

Last but not least, don't mess with the shape, it's fine as it is.

The new 140 bhp 1.4 TSI with cylinder shut off would be nice.

And the new 1.8TSI which seems to be getting incredible economy figures in the new A3/Golf/Octavia.

Someone else asked about the 1.4TSI-DSG; this is already available in Europe.

I would like to see:

- Some more efficient petrol engines across the range

- MDI on UK spec models

- DAB option

- Sports seats option (incl. leather) not just on the Urban

- New and wider choice of alloys (incl. Matterhorn which aren't available as factory fit in the UK)

LED DRLs'

a body thats 6 inches wider to accommodate separate arm rests for both driver & passenger on the front seats like on the Honda CR-V

A redesigned Columbus/Bolero display that shows the time for all passengers

Improver MDI interface & GSM interface to allow more functionality with a wider range of phones

Bigger glove compartment

Keyless entry

Electric stop/start

Heater seats for rear passengers. :)

Darker privacy glass in the rear windows (current Sunset glass isn't very dark

I thought your description sounded like a Range Rover Evoque.

Actually ,Skoda Ewok, would be a good name for the new Yetis baby brother,if they do a version of the planned VW Taigun. :think:

• Like 1

Strip the disguise off and I guess it'll look a bit like this.

It'd be nice if it got the 1.4 TSi ACT engine.

Interestingly - if you look hard - it seems to still have the round fogs.

Guys it's only going to be cosmetic and mechanical, so people's wishes like 'redesigned folding seats' (why you would want them redesigned is beyond me) are very unlikely to happen. I'd say the headlights will be identical, with a new Octavia-style lower front air intake and perhaps sharper taillights with LEDs.

Things I wish for on the Yeti:

- the B-pillar painted black. I know people love this feature but the proposed extended wheelbase Chinese Yeti might get this as spy shots show (as well as a rear tyre on the bootlid?) and I think it looks fantastic!

- that extended wheelbase version would be great. The Yeti boot and rear space are too small in my opinion, especially compared to competitors. It's only when the rear seats are folded/taken out do you see the benefits of the Yeti's rear system and it would be even better if Skoda had figured out how to include a spare wheel without raising the boot floor.

- it needs more colour in the cabin (this is probably Australia specific where we get black cloth or black leather and that's it) but not just with seat trim colour but different trims on the dash and what not.

- the engines are all wrong. In Australia the Yeti 77TSI (1.2 TSI 105hp to you guys) is priced around $2,000 cheaper than the VW Tiguan 118TSI (1.4TSI 160hp, both 2WD). The Tiguan has almost double the power... The 1.2TSI needs to be replaced with the new 140hp 1.4TSI as it probably uses even less fuel.

- Why is the best engine in the range, the 170hp 2.0TDI, manual-only? Doesn't bother me as I hate autos but Skoda Australia won't bring it here without an auto.

- Where are the stop/start systems? The Yeti 1.8TSI uses more fuel than much bigger competitors here.

- New Skoda badges!!!

- It needs an attitude, like the Yeti Urban edition you guys got.

- I'd love to see 18-inch wheels available. How many people use it off-road and even so, wouldn't they have a spare set of offroad tyres?

- The halogen headlamps look cheap. The car would look so much better with projector beam headlights like the HID option. It has nice eyes then!

- New Skoda steering wheel and gearknobs (I know the gearknobs are already there)!

- The interior trim needs to be upgraded - the only bits of soft touch stuff are on the dash. Not good enough Skoda.

- Adaptive cruise and the drowsiness recognition system should be introduced, as should cooled seats from the Superb. For the prices they charge here it should be more upmarket in features.

- New Skoda sat-nav and climate control systems

I doubt any of you will agree with me but they're just what I've noticed with the car. I still love the Yeti to bits. A cousin has one and I've driven it many times and it's just fantastic.

Guys it's only going to be cosmetic and mechanical, so people's wishes like 'redesigned folding seats' (why you would want them redesigned is beyond me) are very unlikely to happen. I'd say the headlights will be identical, with a new Octavia-style lower front air intake and perhaps sharper taillights with LEDs.

BECAUSE CURRENTLY THE MIDDLE SEAT WON'T FOLD UP PROPERLY, NEEDS TO BE EITHER REMOVED OR HELD UP WITH AN ELASTIC STRAP.

- the B-pillar painted black. I know people love this feature but the proposed extended wheelbase Chinese Yeti might get this as spy shots show (as well as a rear tyre on the bootlid?) and I think it looks fantastic!

PLEASE EXPAIN HOW THE HATCHBACK WOULD RISE WITH A HEAVY TYRE FITTED TO IT. AND I DON'T THINK ANY OF US HAVE ACTUALLY SEEN A PHOTO OF IT YET.

- that extended wheelbase version would be great. The Yeti boot and rear space are too small in my opinion, especially compared to competitors. It's only when the rear seats are folded/taken out do you see the benefits of the Yeti's rear system and it would be even better if Skoda had figured out how to include a spare wheel without raising the boot floor.

EXTENDED VERSION WOULD RUIN THE RAMP OVER ANGLE.

- it needs more colour in the cabin (this is probably Australia specific where we get black cloth or black leather and that's it) but not just with seat trim colour but different trims on the dash and what not.

CAN'T SEE A PROBLEM WITH THE UK SPEC OTHER THAN PERHAPS THE SILVER PLASTIC TRIM IN THE DASH COULD BE BETTER.

- the engines are all wrong. In Australia the Yeti 77TSI (1.2 TSI 105hp to you guys) is priced around $2,000 cheaper than the VW Tiguan 118TSI (1.4TSI 160hp, both 2WD). The Tiguan has almost double the power... The 1.2TSI needs to be replaced with the new 140hp 1.4TSI as it probably uses even less fuel.

LOTS OF PEOPLE HERE SEEM VERY HAPPY WITH THE 1.2, SO PERHAPS THAT IS A MARKET SPECIFIC MATTER.

- Why is the best engine in the range, the 170hp 2.0TDI, manual-only? Doesn't bother me as I hate autos but Skoda Australia won't bring it here without an auto.

SEEMS TO BE SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE POWER AND THE DRG BOX.

- Where are the stop/start systems? The Yeti 1.8TSI uses more fuel than much bigger competitors here.

THOUGHT THAT WAS ALREADY DONE. AGAIN PERHAPS MARKET SPECIFIC.

- New Skoda badges!!!

ALREADY DONE.

DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT ONE!

- I'd love to see 18-inch wheels available. How many people use it off-road and even so, wouldn't they have a spare set of offroad tyres?

THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT WE WANT THEN IN THE UK. LOTS OF PEOPLE WOULD REPLACE THE 17" WHEELS WITH 16". I WOULD HAVE THOUGHT THAT THEY WOULD BE TERRIBLE ON OUTBACK ROADS.

- The halogen headlamps look cheap. The car would look so much better with projector beam headlights like the HID option. It has nice eyes then!

BUT THEY WOULD STILL LOOK THE SAME! THE PROJECTOR BIT IS ONLY THE INSIDE OF THE LENS.

- New Skoda steering wheel and gearknobs (I know the gearknobs are already there)!

NOTHING WRONG WITH MINE.

- The interior trim needs to be upgraded - the only bits of soft touch stuff are on the dash. Not good enough Skoda.

NOT A PROBLEM FOR ME. HOW OFTEN DO YOU TOUCH THE DASH?

- Adaptive cruise and the drowsiness recognition system should be introduced, as should cooled seats from the Superb. For the prices they charge here it should be more upmarket in features.

QUE?

THAT NEEDS TO COME FROM VAG, NOT SKODA.

I doubt any of you will agree with me but they're just what I've noticed with the car. I still love the Yeti to bits. A cousin has one and I've driven it many times and it's just fantastic.

Agreed that the only thing we will get in December though will be a cosmetic change. Has anyone actually tried to paint out the "hazard" camo in the photo? Johann?

- New Skoda badges!!!

I mainly agree with your original point but there's some errors in your post.

I bought my Australian delivered Yeti a few weeks ago and have seen options available to us Aussies.

-We get the same trims as the rest of the world. You just have to option them.

-The Stop/Start engine system is an option here.

- There's plenty soft touch plastics. Much more in the details like the interior door latches that are chrome on the outside and soft rubber in the inside. Go check out an Outlander. Now they're full of hard plastics.

- HID is an option. You want em,option them.

- The Urban edition was available here. I was negotiating having the Urban 17's instead of the regular 17's.

- Most owners here unless they're young and stupid prefer the ride of the 16's on our crappy under-maintained roads. Although the 16's don't look right so maybe there is some need for suspension revision.

Personally as an Australian option I would like to have the puncture repair kit as an option as the standard full size spare makes it hard to take full advantage of the boot and vario-flex seating.