PDC OPS advice

• 3 weeks later...

Right then, I've taken the plunge and started the work to upgrade to OPS. So far I've swapped the modules and have connected the can wiring to pins 6 and 15 on the big plug, disconnecting and isolating the wires at 3, 7 and 14. Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'm planning to connect the other end of the can wiring to the gateway at pins 6 and 16 (DRIVE CAN low and high). I've already run the wiring through to the engine bay so hopefully not too much trouble to get it all going now.

Not entirely sure why I have had to disconnect pin 3. 7 and 14 I know are the COMFORT CAN, but 3 is a mystery. However, I've seen hell666's post below that suggests 3 is not used anyway so not too concerned.

http://www.briskoda....o/#entry2899711

At present, the sensors don't work obviously and pressing the front sensors button gives a high pitched tone. Not sure if the latter is expected.

One thing I wonder is how the head unit will get a signal from the sensors now I'm connecting via the DRIVE CAN? Is the head unit also connected to the DRIVE CAN?

Thanks

Adam

At present, the sensors don't work obviously and pressing the front sensors button gives a high pitched tone. Not sure if the latter is expected.

That's to be expected. Mine did nothing but beep until I had the front sensors connected as well.

One thing I wonder is how the head unit will get a signal from the sensors now I'm connecting via the DRIVE CAN? Is the head unit also connected to the DRIVE CAN?

I'm fairly sure mine is connected to the drive CANBUS (it joins at the CAN gateway anyway) and I get the pictures on the Columbus.

Thanks mate. I'm fairly confident on this one now, just a little apprehensive for the soldering to the CAN gateway. I'm a reasonably proficient solderer when access is good, not sure if that will be the case though. Will report back when I get it done, as I know Zeffania is interested too.

So I went for the connection to the CAN gateway today and I think I connected it all fine. The hardest part was not the soldering but the stripping of the existing DRIVE CAN wires (Black/Orange and Brown/Orange pairing), but eventually did it minus some skin after I slipped with the craft knife! and soldered on the wires from the new park controller. However, it doesn't work - as I select reverse I got a long chime, a flashing front sensor switch and nothing on the HU. I tried switching the CAN gateway to address 10 and then coded module 10, which has only three bytes - one which asks if the HU is supposed to display the image (ticked) and if a reversing camera is installed (unticked), one which relates to automatic transmission (unticked as a manual) and one which asks for the car type. For the latter, I selected "1k0/5k0 Golf" as Octavia was not in the list, and this seems to be the only way to code it for an Octavia.

I'm pretty sure the CAN wiring is ok as no other faults have occurred and the xenons level fine (also on the DRIVE CAN). I also checked the resistance across the CAN connections at the controller plug end, and assuming can-high and can-low are connected somewhere in the car(?), things looked fine as there was a complete circuit when I put terminals across the can-high and can-low pins.

I've posted the fault codes on module 10 below, my suspicion is that it is related to the wiring of the sensors for the new controller and I need to look at that tomorrow. In the meantime, any help anyone can offer on interpreting the following, especially the front parking aid chime error (which is not listed on the Ross-Tech website), would be appreciated. I also wonder if there is something wrong in the coding I selected, but I couldn't see what else I could do as far as that was concerned.

Address 10: Park/Steer Assist Labels: 3C8-919-475.clb

Control Module Part Number: 5K0 919 475 E HW: 5K0 919 475 E

Component and/or Version: PARKHILFE 8K H01 0012

Software Coding: 100001

Work Shop Code: WSC 12345 123 12345

VCID: 38796DD68B7086D8D9C

3 Faults Found:

01546 - Sensor for Parking Aid; Rear Mid-Left (G204)

009 - Open or Short to Ground

Freeze Frame:

Fault Status: 01101001

Fault Priority: 3

Fault Frequency: 1

Reset counter: 25

Mileage: 164114 km

Time Indication: 0

Date: 2000.00.00

Time: 05:20:27

Freeze Frame:

Temperature: 8.0°C

01547 - Sensor for Parking Aid; Rear Mid-Right (G205)

Freeze Frame:

Time: 05:20:27

Freeze Frame:

01625 - Front Parking Aid Warning Chime (H22)

Freeze Frame:

Time: 05:20:22

Freeze Frame:

Thanks in advance

Adam

I think the new controller requires all four rear sensors to be wired to common positive and negative. The old controller had separate positives and negatives for all four rear sensors

The front buzzer is generally located above the steering column.

There are locating holes there (remove top dash box and look in from there with a torch).

I have some drive rivets (plastic push pins) that fit if you need a couple.

You will need the Warning Buzzer for the Front Sensors as wll, without which the PDC will just not work and will throw an error. If you don't have one on hand, you can use any DIY Speaker (4/8 ohms) connected in series to a 20ohm Resistor. This will work but the beeps will not be too loud as the stock buzzer, but will help in eliminating the error for the time being.

Thanks mate, I think there is one there actually. And there's defo wires at pins 3 and 4 so fingers crossed...

I'd have a look and check because, as Eddie said, the older PDC worked off one speaker (in the passenger B-pillar) and the new one needs two.

If it's no there, you'll want one of these.