Snow!

Chan110

Looks terrible for the west coast on Friday !

Driving back home in that..., but looking at the temps, it will be a fair bit above freezing and snow will only be caused by the weather front / cold air clash. It's unlikely to settle or accumulate. :thumbup:

A couple of inches of snow overnight in Norwich but left home at 7.20 to beat the peak traffic and no problems getting into work.

Getting home a different story. Brief heavy snowfall early afternoon caused gridlock in city. Left work at 4.30, picked SWMBO up from her work (no buses running) and took just under two hours to complete 4 mile journey home.

First time driving in snow with DSG. Much easier than my manual Octavia in stop-start traffic and no problem getting traction from a standing start, even going uphill.

Driving back from a place on the Moors tonight, I found an MR2 that had slid off the road. The driver said he came over the brow of the hill and lost it.

He was soo lucky, a few mins later a group of 5 moded Land Rovers came the opposite way. All stopped, and once a suitable tow rope was found he was towed back onto the road.

Makes you aware of just how easy it is to be caught out. And an mr2 ain't likely to have winter tyres on. Had a chance to test mine already and they're a vast improvement, but you still don't take liberties and such, especially with how cold it's getting at night. Lots of black ice about!

Hang on to your knickers everyone is going to get hit on Friday, apart from Peterhead. Even the snow avoids it.

• Like 3

I have a customer appointment at 10AM in Newcastle Upon Tyne Friday, journey will be from St Helens to Newcastle and back in a day, I may be working from home and re scheduling if the forecast is correct.

I have a customer appointment at 10AM in Newcastle Upon Tyne Friday, journey will be from St Helens to Newcastle and back in a day, I may be working from home and re scheduling if the forecast is correct.

Wasn't supposed to be really bad back in November? Still waiting for that to turn up. ;) ;)

• Like 1

Is the Yeti crap in snow then?

Not the Yeti that is the problem, what happens if everybody in front of me stops because of poor traction in the snow? I get stuck behind them and four wheel drive makes no difference.

As rainbowfire says, forecast might be a tad overzealous

Bridgestones, standard and not winter tyres, as this is a company vehicle Lease Plan will not fit winters, nor will the company pay for them either, what I noticed at christmas in the highlands on snow was that grip was good when moving forward but the standard tyres were dreadful when trying to stop, with this in mind and my recent mishap with a Porsche Cayenne I allow for a much bigger gap between me and the car in front, if I do trash it again I will present the email I sent asking for winter tyres on the company cars.

Edited by James I

Lidl are doing an offer on snow chains tomorrow - £19.99 for a pair in sizes 70, 80, 90 & 100. Doesn't seem a bad price for a bit of extra insurance if conditions get poor enough. Size 90 should fit the common 205/55/16 size but the Yeti's 225/50/17 appears to be size 97, so not sure if the 100 would be too big. I'll see what the packet says if they have any in stock tomorrow, and report back.

Lidl are doing an offer on snow chains tomorrow - £19.99 for a pair in sizes 70, 80, 90 & 100. Doesn't seem a bad price for a bit of extra insurance if conditions get poor enough. Size 90 should fit the common 205/55/16 size but the Yeti's 225/50/17 appears to be size 97, so not sure if the 100 would be too big. I'll see what the packet says if they have any in stock tomorrow, and report back.

There u go, Pic i took last nov/dec ...

20121212_193421.jpg