Back To The Chipping Subject Again!!

leon

many dealers are happy with it... as you are at skoda you will know its unlikely you can damage an ecu - even then most ecu repairer can re-solder re flash the chip to std for a small fee..

if skoda are concered why dont hey contact the "chipper" direct and get involved?

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LadyLoki

You could look at your own Dealers' websites for a start, although a quick check of one I know mentioned tuning revealed that it doesn't any more. Could it be that SkodaAuto UK has warned them that they are in breach of their franchise? :(

Originally posted by LadyLoki in this post

BTW- we don't recommend chipping simply because there are cowboy outfits out there

An easy solution would be to do as Skoda in Europe do and offer performance packages that Skoda themselves approve and organise. This way Skoda UK get to choose which companies are approved and to chearge a percentage, the customer gets to keep their warranty and have a nippy car. Everyone would be a winner.

Unlikely to happen I know...

Rob.

Originally posted by Quinten in this post

I think we are threading on very thin ice now. LadyLoki, I think you really need to be clear in what position you are on the forums.

In a purely curious capacity. I have gleaned a lot of v useful info from this site, and I agree that tere ought to be some nod in your direction. I've alerted the whole office to 'this site full of Skoda fans who really know their stuff.'

I work for Skoda, they pay me ok, but they don't own me and I have free will!

Nothing I read here (OTHER THAN REALLY USEFUL INFO ON *YOUR* EXPERIENCES OF OUR CARS) will *ever* get reported back. I am a lowly minion... if I had anything to hide, would I have included my job details in my profile??? :D

I don;t drive a Skoda, 'cos they don't give me a company car (told you I was a minion), and I love my Rover too much to let her go. Has never let me down, ever, and is just so much fun to drive. Mind you, I wouldn't sniff at a Fabia VRS come September...

ladyloki,

thanks for your explanation, as Jon has already said you are very welcome on this board, as is any other skoda employee - see if u can get the new "big boss man" to take a peek.. obviously someof us are a little catious as to intentions given the history of car makers vs car tuners across europe... my dealer takes an open approach to mods.. if my mod causes a prob its not warranty .. if a fault is unrelated then the warranty is valid..

i clear and sensible policy... i think what people want to see from skoda uk or germany or wherever is a clear statement of what the "game" or "rules" are so we dont get one dealer saying one thing and another saying another...

nobody wants to be hostile towards anyone else. you are welcome to come to any of our meets... maybe you could organise a few of you from skoda uk to come to our meet at oulton park in september... and see what we have done to your products?;)

Originally posted by ffelan in this post

nobody wants to be hostile towards anyone else. you are welcome to come to any of our meets... maybe you could organise a few of you from skoda uk to come to our meet at oulton park in september... and see what we have done to your products?;)

I'd love to Jon. When in September and where in blinking flip is Oulton Park?

Love + yes, I am Londoncentric!

Hi there every1, just bought a black vRS, has anyone had any snags with the turbo? mine keeps fluctuating when acellerating. taking it back next week, just wonderin if anyone has had similar problems?

LL, I would be happy to explain how Skoda NL have a completely different attitude towards performance mods - and are actually making big money off of it.

And I'm sure Otheos or one of the other Greek members could do the same on Skoda GR.

You see, there are importers on mainland Europe who don't see the problems that Skoda UK apparently see... :D

:rofl:

LadyLoki, thanks for explaining a bit about why Skoda UK don't really approve of this modding malarky; its all because a few Audis have gone bang :D

Take my car as an example: I have had it for 23 months now, from new. It has done 103,568 miles. Of those miles, over 8,000 of them have been on assorted race tracks in the UK and Europe. It has been modified for about 95,000 miles.

What faults have I had? Well, the driver's seat creaks (probably from carting some lardy bloke over the aforementioned miles) I know its probably a warranty job (I have unlimited mileage warranty, but is it wear and tear?), I've replaced 5 coil packs (at my own expense as VAG are so crap that they can't get hold of them, but I can :confused: ), the radiator bolts have worked loose so are being replaced, I've had a dodgy water temp sender which was replaced under warranty and um, that's it. Obviously moddifying your car is a bad thing :rolleyes:

Oh just for interest, it has a remap, full decat, uprated dump valve, non-standard brakes , non-standard suspension and a different head unit.

Would Skoda like to give me a new one so they can disect mine to find out why it hasn't broken yet? (Don't ask, don't get :D )

Jon

Quite possibly. I have done preventative stuff on mine for my own peace of mind - I do so many miles that I can't afford to be without the car.

My car is serviced every 10k miles. I use the long life oil (hoping that it will last 10k even with the track usage). I have replaced the clutch as a precaution at 50k miles, it did have slight wear but nothing serious. I have a new clutch going in next week, again as a precaution. The only other bit I had done was the cambelt at 60,000 miles.

The cambelt was done after much deliberation. Why the deliberation? Well, the service interval for it is 120,000 miles. I asked the dealer, what happens if it snaps at 110,000 miles. He said that it should be covered as that is before it should have been changed. I asked what happens if I fit a new cambelt at 60,000 miles and the engine goes bang at 90,000 miles. He checked with Skoda UK and they couldn't give an answer. They camne back with a very equivocal answer: I had not serviced the car in accordance with the service routine, therefore its not covered, although I had taken preventative measures therefore it was covered. It was a case of we'll wait and see when it goes bang then decide. Not much help.

I decided sod it and had it done. Glad I did as there were a few minor signs of wear on the belt, even at 60,000, so who knows what it would have been like at 120,000. Mind you, probably missed an opportunity for a new engine :(

Jon, pure out of curiosity, if you drive so many miles and heavily rely on the car in working condition, why all the mods? Why not just invest in a track car for those days you want some racing done? Costs must be almost identical, but the risk less lower?

Originally posted by TaviaRS in this post

:rofl:

LadyLoki, thanks for explaining a bit about why Skoda UK don't really approve of this modding malarky; its all because a few Audis have gone bang :D

In Holland too - just a couple of S3s with some very uncareful owners...

And then there's this thing called "insurance". Skoda UK could insure themselves against eventual damages. They would easily be able to afford the premium from the profits they stand to gain from selling importer-approved mods. Remember that in Holland, Germany, Greece and other countries people pay at least twice the usual market rate to get a chip upgrade for which normal warranty is upheld.

Originally posted by ffelan in this post

umm im called paul, jon is TaviaRS... (or penelope at weekends;) )

Oulton park is in cheshire m6 j19...

Sheesh, See what happens when you pay zero attention.

Sorry Paul... when is the Cheshire event then? Please don;t say 19-20-21 September cos I am sodding off to Edinburgh then.

Yay!

OK Paul's not allowed to so I will - Yup it's the 19/20/21 Sept.

Drop in on the way there/back? :)

Will only be able to attend Saturday myself (but that's the bit I really wanted to anyway) - hoping to dash off to Surrey on the Sunday with the 928 for another do.

Convoy up Nick? I'll be going past Swindon on the way there (M4, cut across from J15 to the M5 and up that way).

I'll be going up on the Saturday morning although I may stay over on the Saturday night and have a leisurely drive back on the Sunday

Yep, in fact you'd probably get upset at the slow pace. I usually put the cruise control on between 3000 and 3250 revs and just sit there. :D

Skoda, are you listening? FIT CRUISE CONTROL AS STANDARD!

Originally posted by Fabpreza in this post

Loki

Do you work for VAG in Milton Keynes or one of their outsource partners ? Curious.

Now that I can't answer... so deduce from that what you will!

:D