Back To The Chipping Subject Again!!

leon

Originally posted by LadyLoki in this post

I don't know what I can say to convince you that I am here to satisfy personal curiosity;would it help for me to share some more personal info so you can blackmail me if I ever let anything slip?

I like the cars and I like the passion they inspire in you guys. I love reading the forums threads, because you all seem to be *so* up to date on the world of Skoda, more so than us half the bloody time!!!

Like I say, Skoda pay me ok, but not well enough to be their lickle spy!

text2schild.php?text=David Beckham has run out of hair ideas &typ=11&col=0,0,0&shcol=255,255,255

LadyLoki

I don't think anyone here suspects you of being a spy. In fact, quite the opposite - what we want is for someone within Skoda UK to shout "OI! Look at Briskoda.Net!! These are (y)our customers, and they have a clue about what they want."

I think the only worry is that you will expose some of the (mostly excellent, IMHO) Skoda dealers as "not toeing the official line"

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by KLB in this post

LadyLoki

I don't think anyone here suspects you of being a spy. In fact, quite the opposite - what we want is for someone within Skoda UK to shout "OI! Look at Briskoda.Net!! These are (y)our customers, and they have a clue about what they want."

I think the only worry is that you will expose some of the (mostly excellent, IMHO) Skoda dealers as "not toeing the official line"

Most of the people on this site, and especially the ones who have modded their motors really enjoy owning a Skoda,in particular I like the fact we can drive very reliable,very safe and good quality cars.I certainly wouldn't be driving a new car unless it was a Skoda - certainly couldn't afford to buy one of my own franchise(Audi)-and to be honest - why would I want to pay an extra £4-5,000 pounds to get a slower,lower specced car ?

As a result I think we all look after our cars better than your average driver.My own vehicle,although on variable service has had new Oil Filter & Oil change at 6,000 miles - and will continue to do so.

Some of us have a really good relation with our dealers - some of whom turn a blind eye to mods - as long as not direct cause of failure - it would be a shame if this was stopped.It would certainly have a very detrimental effect on sales -- a lot of vRS owners have been previous Suburu owners -- the vRS is starting to take over from Imprezza - a very strong mod following comes with this,surely it would be in Skoda's interest to team up with the better known tuners ie. Jabba,AmD,Forge,ABT and go official rather than risk losing a large customer base.

If the membership of this site is anything to go by..Skoda are definately on the up - I joined in June - when there were just over 400 members - here we are a month on and nearly 600.

LadyLoki you are, as has been said very welcome,please if you get the chance pass on this info to whom it may concern - we are very much pro Skoda - A little recognition would go a long way....

:cheers:

Originally posted by skodaw in this post

When Audi first announced they were going to approve ABT accessories(bodykits etc) it was a case of ABT will be in touch.........

Then couple of month's ago we get phone call - in July you will be having an ABT open weekend,ABT will provide bonafide DTM TT race car(Very SEXY),display stand,brochures etc - YOU will supply at least 3 fully kitted Audi's - kit's supplied at cost(Still Fing expensive).

We currently have :-

1 x A4 1.8Tq190BHP - with full kit & 18" Alloys-SOLD

1 x TT 225 Coupe - Full Body kit - SOLD

1 x A4 Convertible - Wheels & Chrome kit.

1 x TT 225 Coupe - Full Body Kit.

We have never had issue with modded cars - so far have had 4 or 5 with issues - I think Audi take the line that if mods are announced upfront & are done by "Known" tuners - there is not a problem,were someone tries to hide it or blatantly lies about it - then they won't want to know,.

Apparantly Audi(UK) are trying to get clarification from Audi - they are a bit two faced - in Germany you can by performance mods direct from them under the quattro GMBH label & also ABT & MTM are approved tuners - however UK official line at the moment is NO,.

Well, in the lines following, I will attempt to describe what is going on with warranty issues and car mods within the VAG group here in Greece;

1. Skoda is currently the official dealer for ABT and ABT dealers were until 1-1.5 year ago VW and Audi

2. Audi is currently in official collaboration with the MTM dealer in Athens, and every Monday the dealer collects from the central Audi's workshop the ECUs of the cars to be tuned by MTM. He also undertakes in his workshop more advanced tuning for VAG cars (chip+exhaust, chip+exhaust+new turbo, ...+race cats, etc) always providing 1 year warranty signed by MTM central in Germany.

3. Moreover, tuning with Sportec does not flaw the warranty for Audi cars.

4. It is anticipated that with both ABT (Skoda) and MTM (Audi) the official warranty of the car is not lost, and both provide one more year of warranty after chip fittment.

5. APR and more recently Revo were officially associated with Seat in Greece, undertaking tuning-chipping for the Leon and Ibiza Cupras.

Thanks

I have been very open about my mods, to any dealer I come across. I have posted most of what I have done on here, which is open for anyone to view. As I said, I have had no problems (other than bloody coil packs) which shows that there are tuners out there who do tune our cars sympathetically. If any of the modded cars on here should have broken, its mine.

As both Mike and Dave have said, our only concern is that skoda UK will come down hard on those dealers who are mod sympathetic purely because they don't toe the official line.

A question for you, in an official capacity: If I change my brake discs, pads and fluid from the official Skoda ones and my dump valve fails, will I be covered? Or if I change my springs and my turbo fails? What is the Skoda policy on this? Is anyone there prepared to come out with a definitive answer on it?

I realise you aren't really in a position to answer that one, but an answer from someone would be nice as there are people on here who are concerned about these things (oh and as you may have guessed, I'm not one of them).

My car is particularly well known, within VAG, Subaru and Evo circles. There is no point in me trying to hide any info about my car or myself, its just too well known. I'm probably already on a warranty blacklist so its a bit late for me to worry about it (any way I can check that last bit?)

One last question, if I may, you say you aren't here in an official capacity. Would anyone from Skoda UK be prepared to come on here in an official capacity? If an Ask Skoda UK forum was set up would they be prepared to answer questions on behalf of Skoda UK? Or maybe contribute to the FAQ section?

PS Please may I have a Fabia RS to play with for a year? I'm quite happy to modify it and then whack 50,000 miles on it for you, all in the name of research of course :D

Originally posted by KLB in this post

LadyLoki

Mike, we're not that naive that we believe that *all* dealers play by the book. :D

Our dealers are on the whole decent, honest people, and if they thought you'd eff your car up by modding it, they'd tell you straight.

I place faith in these guys; I have to- they're my eyes and ears out there. Without their co-operation, I can't do my job. There's a good deal of trust there, and I value that. I'd never 'shop' a dealer for chipping etc., I personally believe that if they say it's ok, it must be ok. It's Skoda who don't like the mods... we just have to follow the rules where it comes to drivers who get half-arsed garages to chip their cars and then come to us asking for replacement motors because it's screwed the engine management system to the wall (and I am not saying any of you are guilty of this.)

It's just very puzzling when a VRS with oodles of bhp and a recorded top speed of 163mph (as seen on Police, Camera, Action!) just isn't enough for some! We live in a country with speed limits, y'know... ;)

And thank you all for the gracious welcome messages- I'd like everyone in my office to join this forum but some of them *are* corporate whores who won't listen to anything other than the 'official' line. Their loss.

163? I thought that as standard they only did 144, that must be the one Skoda lent to Autocar :D

Still slow though, they obviously took it to the wrong place :D

As for the speed limit, they don't have them on tracks, or the autobahn. There is something funny about coming up behind a flat out M3 and flashing him out of the way :D

LadyLoki...

When I bought my car, I would have agreed, the RS, with 180bhp, would be plenty.

But two things stood in my way:

1) I wanted an estate, which at the time was not available.

2) I wanted 4wd, which is still only available with 150bhp.

All I wanted was a 4x4, 180bhp, RS estate.

The 4x4(arx) engine is to all intents and purposes identical to the RS(auq) engine. I sat down with a service manager and went through EKTA, comparing part by part, ARX and AUQ engines. This was very much an educated decision, I do a lot of company miles in my car (approx 30k a year) and it needs to be just as quiet, reliable, and economical as it was when it left the factory.

A custom remap gave me just this, and a little more power than I expected. It has transformed the car into a perfect package (for me at least). It has done 27k since the remap with no ecu faults, or blown turbo's, or holed pistons, and can still get 42mpg.

Along with "in a perfect world" Skoda accepting (or endorsing \ supporting) the tuning, how do we get Skoda (uk) to think about the models they offer - or at least offer the same as in the rest of europe (4x4 pd with 6spd for instance)?

Your (unofficial ;)) thoughts welcome.

It's just very puzzling when a VRS with oodles of bhp and a recorded top speed of 163mph (as seen on Police, Camera, Action!) just isn't enough for some! We live in a country with speed limits, y'know... ;)

LL, you're probably right that 180bhp is enough for most people but that's missing the point when it comes to the world of modified motor vehicles. Some people don't have a car solely for the purpose of getting from A - B and like to make their cars a bit more individual.

The beauty with the vRS is that as an all round package it is excellent in standard form but it can be made better for a relativevely small outlay. If you look at it from this perspective it would almost be rude not to. ;)

I suggest that you buy a few of the more respected tuning mag's like Performance VW (not max power) and have a look at what people like to do to their cars. I can never understand why the likes of VAG don't capitalise on the tuning market. Don't forget that not all people buy a car and that's the end of the financial comittment (HP payments aside). Many people spend literally thousands personalising their vehicle to make it go faster, look better or whatever they're into....

Nuff said.

Originally posted by Tavia4x4 in this post

Along with "in a perfect world" Skoda accepting (or endorsing \ supporting) the tuning, how do we get Skoda (uk) to think about the models they offer - or at least offer the same as in the rest of europe (4x4 pd with 6spd for instance)?

Your (unofficial ;)) thoughts welcome.

I seriously doubt that any manufacturer would ever endorse chipping/ tuning etc, because that's like admitting that the car that rolls off the production line is somehow below standard, or just not as good as we could have made it.

The UK market is an extremely competitive one, and has been seen with many recent new models from all manufacturers, if it don't shift, then you've spent £millions on developing a car nobody wants. They are just reluctant to spend that kind of cash marketing a car here that just might not sell in any volume.

Also Skoda are still proving themselves a serious and reliable marque in the UK. We all know that it was just recently that the bad jokes and poor reputation held sway. There's along way to go to be honest, and I don't think the current advertising helps one bit. It still portrays Skoda drivers as middelaged boring farts, the cars don't look at their best, and they are forgettable... unlike something like those Peugeot 306 ads- average car, great ads. But it's the ads that people remember, and Skoda's are frankly, terrible.

We *are* limiting the range at present- I think anyway- because we don't want to flood the market with too much at once. We're pacing it; hence the gap between the development and release of the Octy VRS and the Fabia version, and the 110bhp TDi Octy Estate and the 130bhp version, for example. The technology has been there within VAG for a while, Skoda are just biding their time about using it.

More models and better choice? It's going to take a while folks, because even Ford and Renault's new models are struggling to make it out there.

LadyLoki xxx

I'll just 'chip' :eek: in here.

Had a chat with the owner of the garage (not a Skoda dealer) I lease my RS from this morning prior to reading this very interesting thread. He's offering me a Superchips chip (no choice, he's an agent) Brembo brake upgrade and Bilstein (sp?) suspension upgrade. Rather refreshing to hear that he doesn't give **** about the warranty because it's his car, he's a performance car nut and if it breaks he'll fix it! Result!

I seriously doubt that any manufacturer would ever endorse chipping/ tuning etc, because that's like admitting that the car that rolls off the production line is somehow below standard, or just not as good as we could have made it.

Loki - the problem I guess we all have is that Skoda in other countries DO endorse chipping / tuning. Mattijs (Dutch 4x4 on this forum) ordered his in Holland with an Oettinger chip and various other modifications - all still covered by warranty. In Greece you can buy chipped new cars direct from Skoda Greece (I think they are ABT mods). Why can't Skoda UK consider doing the same? :confused:

Other manufacturers have gradually started to do the same (Mercedes with AMG, Smart with Brabus etc) - manufacturers linking up with tuning companies is good for all parties :cheers:

Originally posted by Jimmy in this post

I can never understand why the likes of VAG don't capitalise on the tuning market.

Jimmy, as explained above by Stu, VAG NL capitalizes on the tuning market BIG-TIME.

Audi salesmen will talk you up with ABT chips, several Seat dealers are chip importers or remappers themselves, Skoda has an official liaison with Oettinger and Wetterauer and has now lauched a full line of Skoda-approved suspension mods by MAD. Warranty (and follow-up warranty in case of premature failure of any part) will be upheld in all cases.

Everybody is making money off of this: the importer, the dealers, the tuning companies, the insurance companies needed for the importer and tuner to pay out in case of damages (that hardly ever occur, save for a couple of ill-treated S3s - that's two cars out of hundreds, maybe thousands in what, how many years?).

Ah, and the customer is much the poorer but at least has his peace of mind. ;)

Also, people will shift their focus towards VAG cars because other marques don't offer this kind of service. It's turned into a unique selling point.

So why doesn't Skoda UK like to earn some more money and attract some more big-spending customers, Loki? :D

I'm sorry LL but I think that's a load of cobblers. A car is a piece of machinery and by this very virtue things are compromised from the start. The designer might want to use a 225bhp ECU but that will affect the cars insurance rating or thats reserved for use solely for the Audi branded vehicles. The designer would like to use a free flow St. Steel exhaust but you guessed it that costs more money.

What I'm saying is that during the development phase and indeed life cycle of a new product there are always compromises to be made to deliver a quality product on time and to a set budget. If however, Joe Public would like to pay extra for the 225 ECU then why can't he have it. After all the main engine, brake, suspension components are usually all the same to reduce initial capital cost.

I'm a mech engineer by trade working in the Petrochem industry. The end products a world apart from the car business maybe but the bottom lines always the same...

Good point Jimmy, I was simply relaying what the general feeling seems to be within this office. Next time I'll think before doing that. Dammit.

The official answer- from Skoda Technical no less- is... there isn't one. Nobody up there today could tell me why we don't approve chipping like in Holland etc. They seemed quite taken aback that I knew about that in fact.

When I asked why we didn't- as has been said here- capitalise on the market, the answer was a deafening silence, followed by... 'Why do you want to know?' At this point I thought it best to shut up.

Originally posted by bandit1 in this post

Gents (& Ladies) lets stay polite here please !!

This is Briskoda after all, not MaxPower or Calibra Net !!

:p

G.

Ah... so *that's* where I have to go to get seriously shouted at then.

No offence taken, I appreciate a straight-talking man. I appreciate a straight man even more, obviously, but....