EVO Magazine 1.8TSI review

http://www.evo.co.uk...b1a61002be56e91

Prices start at £15,990 and top out at £23,240, with the 1.8 TSI likely to cost from around £19,500 were it to be available in the UK. It isn't in the plan because Skoda GB thinks there is no market for it. Buyers who like its attributes are unlikely to want a Skoda, goes the reasoning. It would be good to see the 1.8 TSI in the UK, though, and Skoda GB doesn't rule out a re-think if demand warrants it. And it's a promising pointer to the Octavia vRS scheduled for a July UK launch at the Goodwood Festival of Speed. That will have around 250bhp and come, like the rest of the range, with either manual or DSG gearboxes. By then, too, we'll have estate-car versions, planned for launch in March.

Looks like Race Blue is available across the range (though it might already have been in different markets).

Seeing as they rate the 1.8TSi as the best of the new Octavia's, they still only give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Also, what is the round thing in the centre of the grill below the number plate?

Race blue has been available for other model octavia's in other markets, in the uk it was Vrs only. If its available for the other model octavia's in the uk when the new model launches i will not be buying another race blue Vrs i will be forced to choose another colour. :-(

Race blue has been available for other model octavia's in other markets, in the uk it was Vrs only. If its available for the other model octavia's in the uk when the new model launches i will not be buying another race blue Vrs i will be forced to choose another colour. :-(

Same here.

Isn't the same 1.8TSI engine available in Audi's with 320NM but Skoda wouldn't use this spec because the 7-speed DSG is only rated to 250NM? Why not just use the 6-speed DSG as used in the VRS models?

My take on the 1.8TSI not showing up in the UK is that SUK do not want to upstage the vRS release later. Or in other words, more profit.

The cars released initially in the UK have the inferior compound link crank-axle rear suspension only. The first time you are going to see proper multi-element rear suspension in the UK will be when vRS is released in the UK (looks July time from the review). SUK want to make vRS look decidedly better car than anything released initially, plus they do not want prospective vRS buyers to balk at the vRS price and buy less expensive 1.8TSI instead.

Don't know where they took the 250bhp for petrol vRS from in the review, so far from service data it looks that the top petrol bhp will be 220bhp only.

220bhp is still 80bhp / 57% extra over initial release petrol engines, but would have been only 40bhp / 22% extra over the 1.8TSI, and likely vRS a few grand more than 1.8TSI. Hence no 1.8TSI...

I like the dials on the last picture, look very clear and readable. I wonder if they can be dimmed enough, though, recent dashboards are a bit bright for night driving.

radar sensor for the adaptive cruise control ?

Good shout, though it does look a little sinister in my view.

Please name these markets... because as far as I know Race Blue has been RS only colour about everywhere. With Octavia 3 it is a different story though and will become standard metallic option.

it was posted on here before including a link to the skoda auto site. i don't have the time to search for it again but i hope Skoda uk limit Race Blue to Vrs only. It would be a shame to see it on non Vrs Models

I'm sick of Skoda UK deciding what we do and don't want!

Make it available to order and the customer will decide.

+1

Really frustrates me the way Skoda UK deny us options that Skoda Auto have gone to the cost and effort of developing.

Sarge.

+1

Really frustrates me the way Skoda UK deny us options that Skoda Auto have gone to the cost and effort of developing.

Sarge.

+1

here in aus, VW Australia decides what Skoda Australia does.

models, options, prices, sevicing, warranty, parts, website content....the whole lot!!!

so if VW Aus want to protect their VW models, they'll make sure the Skoda models offered here do not impede their sales, either through pricing, availability, or lack of marketting.

It's frustrating but perfect business sense provided they don't drive sales into other brands. I'm not optimistic about the Scout spec in the UK because if Skoda offered a CR170 DSG it's too close to the Passat Alltrack.

it was posted on here before including a link to the skoda auto site. i don't have the time to search for it again but i hope Skoda uk limit Race Blue to Vrs only. It would be a shame to see it on non Vrs Models

http://www.skoda.co.uk/gbr/newcars/newoctavia/exterior/colours/Pages/default.aspx

That shows something similar to Race Blue, but I expect they will introduce another new "VRS Only" colour to keep you lot happy ;)

It's frustrating but perfect business sense provided they don't drive sales into other brands. I'm not optimistic about the Scout spec in the UK because if Skoda offered a CR170 DSG it's too close to the Passat Alltrack.

they won't.

they will offer the 150hp DSG diesel only in the Scout.

or a 184hp manual (possibly).