Some first impressions of '13 L&K 170 DSG Combi

I apologise if this goes over old ground, or is not helpful. But I’ve had a new 170 L&K DSG combi (estate) fully spec’d, for three weeks and I thought first impressions may help another purchaser. Just as BriSkoda has helped me (particularly the POI on the SatNav…genius posting!). Thanks ladies and gents. So...

Overall, huge fun to drive (within the running-in limits), very comfortable, returning around 41 mpg. Passengers all in awe/praise, including teenage children. Totally get the merc/BMW comparisons…at half the price.

It’s my first automatic, and already I’m wondering why I waited so long. It’s not just an old man’s thing…it’s common sense. Gear changes are seamless, and for overtaking the kickdown is intuitive and so safe. I have had issues with the driving position – still adjusting, but bottom line is that those who say the steering wheel should extend further are bang on.

Particular likes are Kessy (once I’d realised you literally need to touch the indentation on the door handle or it won’t lock that way), the TV (waiting for kids from cadets, karate, college, has been revolutionised) and the total feeling of safety. It’s a solid but not boring car. Love the powered tailgate – remote opening, opening from the driving seat, powered closing – and the dog likes it too! Lots of hooks.

Heated windshield means I can drive off in just a minute…but the car is still freezing, see below. Cruise Control (done a couple of long motorway drives) is good and once you’ve got used to the ‘set’ being on the down button it makes total sense and you can’t see why all aren’t like this. Night time lighting (Xenon on this model) is simply a revelation. Brilliant.

It’s quiet, and controlled, and I actually seem to drive slower and in a more relaxed style. That has to be god all round.

Niggles? Well, it’s really slow to heat up…both the engine and ventilation and the seats. Last car was a Hyundai Santa Fe – the Superb takes three times as long (time and distance). Saving grace is the heated windshield mentioned above. The low profile tyres are great, but every now and then a pot hole comes along which is back jarring…and worries it’ll break a wheel. My one big purchase may be a set of alloys with bigger profile winter tyres next year. There’s a cold patch at the bottom of my back when the heated seats are on – it may be the ventilated seats (actually checked they’re off) but it’s a freezing cold bank.

The Skoda dog guard was a washout (who wants to drill into the headlining of a new car) and my garage sensibly alerted me before doing this, the bike rack is a Thule model and cheaper to buy direct (I now know…). Internal storage seems sparse – but we took the large polystyrene spare wheel block out and hey presto!...tool kit, rug et al all live here now (with the original jack, tools etc.). And getting in, the back pocket button on my trousers keeps catching on the leather seat edge (river). Several comments about this wearing out in other cars…annoying design. But now adapting my entry!

The extended warranty wound us up. We wanted it (after a five year warranty with Hyundai) but the dealer didn’t mention it at order. Too late…that’s the only time you can get one. Do Skoda really build cars differently if they’ve asked for warranty? Much discussed elsewhere!

On the other hand I rang Skoda Customer Services (really helpful) before buying with several questions one of which was about SatNav maps. I drive a lot in Europe including Poland. I asked and yes, they said, ‘European’ mapping was included. So I was pee’vd to find when it came the mapping is just ‘Western Europe’. However glad I didn’t ring to complain and look silly – Skoda’s ‘Western Europe includes Poland (to street level), and several other ‘Eastern’ countries. Down tiger…

Finally the manual is sparse and unclear. In some place sit just says ‘button x activates the left handed kurfertleberry’, without explaining what that is or why you need it. But the devil is in the detail – I couldn’t work out how to unlock all four door at once (and not just the front pair) but it was there, albeit covered in just once sentence in pages on the locks. Ditto auto-dipping the reversing left hand mirror (which the book says is the right hand mirror…an example of why it’s not a good manual) or the heating controls.

Overall…best car I’ve owned. Love it, feel like a king, but like everything, just a few niggles. And if others have the same, may help them to now they’re not alone.

• Like 3

Great review, totally agree about the "slow" heating and the steering wheel's lack of adjustment, but not had the "cold back" issue, so that might be something to do with those perforated seats?

A few niggles aside, I love mine :hi:

Edited by Tankdave

Have a look at the whispbar roof bars as well. Bit more expensive than Thule, but much flatter cross-profile (on the estate) and you can leave them on all the time because they are more aerodynamic. Also don't get the dreaded whistle at higher speeds. You can still use all the Thule accessories to it through the T-connectors - I use the pro-ride for carrying my bikes on the roof.

Love the Whispbar suggestion...will have a look. And yes, I too thought the ventilated seat may be the cause of a cold lower back, it's definitely off, but I'll think on this one!

As for colour - me too Metallic Brown and it is lovely, really distinguished. My decision was selfish - resale value as it's an exclusive colour. But I can wee why they held it back.

I fitted the Traval dog guard into my superb as I too didn't want to drill into the headlining, and I must say I find it excellent, It can be taken out in minutes, and better still, if you upgrade in years, keep it with you, or sell on seperately, to give you a better trade in value, if your dealer doesn't take it into account, when giving you a trade in value.

I also fitted the Windesa window blinds to the windows, and again brilliant, due to reasons above.

It's always worth checking that the ventilated seats are turned off if the heated seat is slow to warm. It is easy to knock the switch with your heal as you get in or out of the car, especially if you can't open the door very far. I've done this a few times and wondered why the seat isn't warm!

The switches are poorly positioned, but I suppose ventilated seats were not in the original design and they don't want to change the wiring loom and dash in the middle of the production run.

It would be better if the switches used a couple of the blanks beside the gear lever.

Niggles? Well, it’s really slow to heat up…both the engine and ventilation and the seats. Last car was a Hyundai Santa Fe – the Superb takes three times as long (time and distance). Saving grace is the heated windshield mentioned above.

Great review, thanks.

Why o why does SUK not allow aux electric air heater in the UK on any car, including the flagship L&K Superb? Is it just so that all UK VW cars can show to be "better" (standard on them) ? Aux air heater works as well as a heated windscreen, It costs less than a heated windscreen to fit, it takes same size alternator and similar length of wiring, so why not spec it as an option in the UK like every other country in Europe does?

I have a heated windscreen on my Mk1 Superb. Correction, I have currently a 3rd heated windscreen fitted in <7 years / <115k miles. While it works very well at defogging/defrosting, it is also extremely prone to chipping. the 3rd one also has 2 or 3 large chips already.

If I buy Mk2 Superb as the next car, I will have to import it from Ireland (yet again), just to get rough road package and aux electric air heater. SUK Madness.

Edited by dieselV6

The electrical AUX heater can be retrofitted, if you want. It helps a lot in these winter mornings.

I know it can be retrofitted in theory, I have actually went and bought one for the Roomster, it's sitting in my garage waiting for Round 2 of the retrofit fight ;) . Heater won Round 1 hands down because I could not remove heater matrix housing cover :(.

Do you know of any way of removing the bottom cover on a Fabia 2 /Roomster (and newer cars than Mk2 Superb, e.g. Rapid/Octy 3) heater matrix? I tried to do it for the Roomster. service manual says slide cover downwards, but after writing service manual, the factory put some ECU there, mounted on long bolts welded to the floor. There is almost no clearance there. It looks that it would take dismantling the whole dashboard to put the aux heater in. Though I did not check on Mk2 Superb, perhaps it is still the old, much easier to service arrangement.

Anyway, getting off-topic here. I pointed out the unavailability of the aux heater primarily to show that even on a top Skoda range car, in top trim you still cannot have any Skoda option you like in the UK (and you can have pick and mix almost everywhere else in Europe), including some fundamentally important packages. I think this is ridiculous. Especially when SUK picks a far worse option instead (heated windscreen in lieu of aux electric heater). They did the same for Octy 3 now. Because they know better.

Edited by dieselV6
  • Like 1

Just read this - and a very thoughtful review it is - thks!

Ref. TV?

Does one need a TV licence (if u already have one at home and,

if u dont)?

Thks.

No you don't, if you have one at home, as it's a roaming device (not plugged in).

If you watch live TV on a device that is plugged in, you need a licence where you are watching it.

H

• Like 1

4 weeks into ownership of my soon to be 2 yr old Superb Combi. Traded in my 2005 Octavia L&K Estate. Both have Xenons but even so Superb lighting is just that!

Roomy and comfortable, with plenty of boot space. I guess the Ivory interior is not as practical as the dark grey leather in the Occy.....but I like it!

I find I'm driving quicker in the Superb....so much quieter and effortless. No parking issues.....I've always liked bigger cars, but find estates easier to reverse...you can see back of car, although have rear sensors as on Occy. A reversing camera would be good as on i40 Hyundai estate I was tempted to go for.

Fuel consumption is on average about 10mpg worse on Superb, but at 14k miles I hope its still loosening up......7th VAG Diesel car.

Heated screen is a real plus......dealer didnt even know it was fitted....nor the detachable towbar!

Really pleased with it........but the sliding rear seat idea to free up even more boot space would be a cracking option.

Shame boot floor is stepped when seats are down.....current project is a false floor panel!

Hi Napier.

Very interesting thread u have here!

Keep the reports coming in.

I just bought my 2010 Superb last month.

I have heated windscreen too - cant wait to test em!

But mines a hatchback with teeny window - so not as fortunate as your combi big window.

I agree too tht a rear camera would be great!

Have u looked into fitting one after market?

Dead jealous u have a TV!

• 2 weeks later...

BrockySuperb,

I agree whole heartedly about everything you say, especially your last sentence. I also own the Superb L&K (for the last two weeks) and I cannot help but be totally impressed by it. The only problems I have is the contradiction that it shares the same latest engine as the Passat but gets a good bit less MPG. WHY?!?

Other than that, totally pleased with my car. Not the same higher spec as yours, but it's still bloody brilliant.

I may do a wee review myself later.

Raymond.

I'm of the opinion that the heater system is configured to get the engine up to temp as soon as possible (for fuel economy in the legislative trials?) , and doesn't send much hot water to the heater until the engine hits a temp set into the system. Certainly better for the engine to get to temp quickly. Selecting the 'max' button (top left) appears to override this.

Hi all.

Noob here and not even an owner yet, but I just wanted to ask how the 170 oil burner holds up on a big car like the Superb. I currently have the 140 version in a VW CC and it's good enough, but when the time comes to change in July, I'd like to have more poke and just worry that the extra weight of the Superb will wipe out the additional power.

If I can swing it, I'll go for the V6 as I have a company fuelcard, but I have a feeling I might have trouble getting it past HR :-( . So, gents, can you put my mind at rest?

Cheers

• 1 year later...

ive just ordered a 140 Superb Combi L&K in pearl black as a company car. I would have loved the DSG but at 122 emissions it pushes the tax up into a higher band. I was able to literally order everything on the car, even heated washer nozzles because I do a lot of early morning starts. When I get it I wil put a review up on here :))

Hi all.

Noob here and not even an owner yet, but I just wanted to ask how the 170 oil burner holds up on a big car like the Superb. I currently have the 140 version in a VW CC and it's good enough, but when the time comes to change in July, I'd like to have more poke and just worry that the extra weight of the Superb will wipe out the additional power.

If I can swing it, I'll go for the V6 as I have a company fuelcard, but I have a feeling I might have trouble getting it past HR :-( . So, gents, can you put my mind at rest?

Cheers

Erm.... actually the 170 TDi CC is heavier that either the Superb Hatch or Estate, so worry not.

ive just ordered a 140 Superb Combi L&K in pearl black as a company car. I would have loved the DSG but at 122 emissions it pushes the tax up into a higher band. I was able to literally order everything on the car, even heated washer nozzles because I do a lot of early morning starts. When I get it I wil put a review up on here :))

Yeah I ordered a 170 Elegance loaded (couldn't face the brown) as my company car. I wanted a DSG, but it made a huge difference on the cost - £100 a month.

• 1 month later...