i applied for the army today ..

tashauphill

I work for the army & have done for 15 years now,there is a lot of changes going on & a lot of people losing their jobs & not getting replaced,ive seen a few sign off recently as they say the army isnt what it used to be & we have some here working out what package they will get if they put their name down for redundancy,i wish you all the best in your choice of career. Its going to be another 7 years before all the changes have been carried out.

they are cutting big time, they are cutting the recruitment offices in Scotland by 70% for example.

The army has been configured to fight two medium intensity campaigns and was still pretty much set up along cold war lines to fight a big full on war, but now it's been decided that we no longer need to do that sort of thing and we need to have a much smaller army. So for day to day stuff we need a smaller core army, and when the brown stuff hits the fan we have a much expanded reserve to call on and mobilise. Basically they want a big box of cheaper troops with "open only in case of emergency" on it.

Reservists are much cheaper as you don't pay them pensions, don't need to feed and accomodate them, and don't pay them other than when they're in training or on ops.

In short, the answer is Britain slowly realising it is no longer a global power, reconfiguring itself as another EU power (or an annex to the US) and it happens to save money so hey can fut the £100 billion bill for the subs that are needed to keep the seat on the UN Security council.

simple really :wonder:

My son went into the RMEE at 16 to train as a mechanic. Failed to get through that unfortunately but transfered to the RLC and was had his full H G V licence 5 days after his 17th birthday.

Son is a mechanic in REMEE just qualified , still got the letter :(

Son is a mechanic in REMEE just qualified , still got the letter :(

Sorry to hear that. Looking on the bright side he was paid to train and that training will stand him in good stead on civvy st.

Best mate is in 1 para - he is now 30 and the majority of squadies are 18-23 apparently meaning he gets treated with more respect... ish anyway ;)

Edited by Ad Lav

In short, the answer is Britain slowly realising it is no longer a global power, reconfiguring itself as another EU power (or an annex to the US) and it happens to save money so hey can fut the £100 billion bill for the subs that are needed to keep the seat on the UN Security council.

Yes but we need the Subs to keep me in a job :giggle:

I cant speak for the army but having spent the last 15 years in the Navy I can say the armed forces are changing, it sounds like the army is going through the same changes as the navy by losing more senior people and using junior ranks to do jobs that used to be done by senior rates.

Yes but we need the Subs to keep me in a job :giggle:

I cant speak for the army but having spent the last 15 years in the Navy I can say the armed forces are changing, it sounds like the army is going through the same changes as the navy by losing more senior people and using junior ranks to do jobs that used to be done by senior rates.

No the army is actually radically reducing it's size across the board. Deliberate shift from full time to part time for a lot of capability. In mobile terms it's shifting from a monthly contract to a pay as you go model in large part.

As for your job, at an annual saving of £1.86 billion from now until 2062 I'm sure they could pay you a nice pay off and set you up for life :happy:

The forces are always changing they are pretty much in a constant state of flux, I've been out 15 years now but I recognise very little with the way things are now

A lot of the changes are positive and way overdue

• Like 1

I left the army 8 years now after serving 23 years as a Mechanic in the REME.. so I am quite honestly out of touch with live in it now!

would I join up again....? Maybe but in a different role. I had many up's and down's but mostly Up's especially living in Germany. Great if you like sport and helps if you are good at it too! Obviously if you join the RLC then you'll get a C+E licence etc, a great life experience for most! It's a given you'll do tours and with a lot of redundancies and moving of Units back to UK you should expect it to be a bit hectic... if you are happy for that go for it!

The army is always something i have thought about and now being 19 i decided to apply.So my hopeful role will be in the Royal logistics.I will be a courier delivery and driving supply and packages into the soliders.So i would like to know if anyone else on here has experience from the army ..what you did ? and how you found it

Never went into the armed services myself, but you have my admiration and utmost respect tashauphill.

I wish you EVERY success and good fortune. :yes:

Good for you Tasha

I joined the RN as a Aircraft engineer many moons ago, did 8 years in total. Really enjoyed the experience and would happily do it again.

Sounds like you have a positive attitude and take every opportunity that is thrown at you. If you are good at sports, get involved as that will open up lots of opportunities.

Enjoy yourself and when you get to training, stay positive and don't give up. Remember all the shouting and other crap is not personal, just the way the mob try build your character :-)

My motto was "water off a ducks back", meaning it's nothing personal, just let it all run over you and carry on.

Enjoy

Edited by Northlodge

Thanks everyone for the advise and information :) i really cant wait to get started ...just keeping fit at the moment

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Better get used to burpees now before you hit training :p

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Hi, I'm currently serving with the army air corps but will find out this year if I get the chop. It's right what some others have said on here the army is a very different beast these days.

I have enjoyed most of my time but suppose its the same with any job.

One word of advice would be not to chose the RLC, they are known throughout the army as Rejects Last Chance. Not slagging off all of them but go with something to get a trade. I still got my c+e license with full ADR and have a lot of helicopter handling skills to go with it.

It's a bit more varied than just having driving as your core skill.

Also look into postings ( Germany will shortly be cut ) and also exercises, we go to California for 3 months every year which ain't bad if you can get it.

I'm sure you have looked indepth into this but just something to think about.

All the very best to you

• Like 1

Hi, I'm currently serving with the army air corps but will find out this year if I get the chop. It's right what some others have said on here the army is a very different beast these days.

One word of advice would be not to chose the RLC, they are known throughout the army as Rejects Last Chance. Not slagging off all of them but go with something to get a trade. I still got my c+e license with full ADR and have a lot of helicopter handling skills to go with it.

Also look into postings ( Germany will shortly be cut ) and also exercises, we go to California for 3 months every year which ain't bad if you can get it.

All the very best to you

Very true, have a darned good think about what trade you want to be in when you join and where that may leave you in later years, job opportunity wise.

My choice of working with helicopters in the mob has led me to still be working with all these years later.

The careers office bods i guess will try to steer people towards the slots they want filling as opposed to what you want to do. I assume it is still the case that you can try to move roles, but not always that easy.

Edited by Northlodge

All the very best to you

We call the RLC the 'Rather Large Corps' or 'Regiments with Limited Capabilities' but then we call your lot the 'Amateur Air Corps'. The truth is it's changing massively regardless of what you select, unless you go for one of the pinch point trades where they're desperate to fill slots.

It's true that Germany is going as it used to be one of the best postings you could get.

As for El Centro - Come on Smithy, it's a toilet.....

Wishing you All the best. Was the best thing I ever did. I went down the apprenticeship route with the Royal Engineers. During training you may have doubts on what the hell have You done, but once you get to your unit it's totally different way of life from training. Been out 18 years now so things changed quite a bit since my days. I made some great friends whilst I was in and still keep in touch with them unlike some of my old civvy work mates who will stab you in the back to cover their ass when the excrement hits the fan. That's a bond that will never be broken.

Good few years ago , SIL made a cartoon . At that time there was an ad on TV showing "Frank" enjoying all of the army pursuits -ski ing holidays etc. It showed "Frank" having a great time. SIL 's one showed "Frank" in the queue at the jobcentre, having been made redundant. imilar picture today - MOD are making thousands redundant ,whilst looking for more recruitment.

• Like 1