In Car Cameras

SmartCamDirect

I finally did some night driving, however on reviewing the files either the windscreen is a LOT dirtier than I thought, or one of the children has been playing and got finger prints on the lens.

The contrast isnt wonderful, the reflected headlights make reading number plates pretty difficult, but the picture is fairly bright and a lot of other details show up well - you can read the road signs and road markings clearly.

Still, for £30 I dont think anyone can complain.

Darn, the link wont work, it says 0kb file, I will upload somewhere else and try again tomorrow.

Edited by GentleGiant

Hi Ian, and thanks again for the feedback & footage.

Do you see the rear-facing camera as a benefit or just a gimmick?

Also, what is the maximum record time before overwrite starts?

Regards, Mike

I can see benefits from views of cars alongside/behind you that might crash into you, but the lens is SO wide angle iot does make seeing anything outside of the car difficult. On the plus side, the children I cart around now know that the camera can see just about anything they get up to.

The older version of this unit came with a separate camera lens that could be positioned on the rear window; this would give better pictures of what was behind, but left side coverage blank.

Record time before overwrite obviously depends on what size card you have fitted, judging by files sizes 1GB is about 25-30 minutes, so the 16GB card I have fitted gives about 6-7 hours and a 32Gb card would give 14-15 hours (allowing for the space taken up by the JPlayer software and formatting). There is the option to record only the front or rear camera, so that would double the record time.

This is a only a rough guess though, I noted that the 25 minute motorway drive section used ~ 1GB, busy roads and/or daylight might use more or less; I will have another look next week and try and make more sense of it - Upton Folk Festival this weekend, I will be there with a charity stall and not have time to fiddle.

• 5 weeks later...

I see people are mentioning Jplayer here.

I have an In Car Camera and its delivered with Jplayer which is installed on the SD micro card when its formatted.

However I get a nasty error when I try to run Jplayer on my PC.

The Error shows no text. Just a frame with Error and thats all. So the software is not running.

Anyone had that problem ?

I am using Windows 7 and windows 8 (tried on two different computers)

• 2 months later...

I'm looking to install a camera in my car, doing more motorway mileage and having many near misses worries me! I'm not bothered about sound recording (who'd wanna hear my dreadful singing haha!) As long as it's half decent video quality and relatively easy to use. Any recommendations?

Also, what is installation like? Am I going to be ripping out half my dash to fit it?

I fitted my Blackvue 380G-HD today, it's not the cheapest unit around but it's the one I liked the look of.  Fitting took me just over an hour, including hard wiring a multi-socket cigarette lighter unit to the car, not too sure how much easier/harder it would be on your car though.

I had one of those £28 camera's from e,bay.

Full HD

Viper K6000 Full 1080P HD G SENSOR Dashcam - Carcam Smartcam 2 HD Dash Cam

Suction fit to top of screen.

Ran wire from cig lighter up screen pillar etc.

Brilliant.

Put in a 16gb micro card & well pleased with it.

For that money it was well worth it.

You could buy 2 & fit one in the rear.

I had one of those £28 camera's from e,bay.

Full HD Viper K6000 Full 1080P HD G SENSOR Dashcam - Carcam Smartcam 2 HD Dash Cam

Suction fit to top of screen.

Ran wire from cig lighter up screen pillar etc.

Brilliant.

Put in a 16gb micro card & well pleased with it.

For that money it was well worth it.

You could buy 2 & fit one in the rear.

Do you have a link to that one?

They do some in Maplins, one is £40 and was out of stock then another that was a few quid off on offer at £129 HD, GPS, G sensor etc... just don't wanna spend too much on something I'm not going to pay a lot of attention to!

Also, do all cameras start recording from when the ignition is switched on or do you have to do it manually?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271224164064

Janeyy

Looking at this it looks sold.

Just send him an e,mail and offer the same money, that's what I did. He accepted it too.

I have mine wired via cig lighter so it comes on & off with the ignition. (easy)

Purchase a 16gb micro card. Was £4.49 from  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/330815583861?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Simples & cheap.

Good luck Janeey

• 2 weeks later...

I have used:

Blackvue 300

Blackvue 350

Blackvue 380

Blackvue 400

Roadhawk

Mini DVR

Action Pro

GoPro Hero2

GoPro Hero3 (black)

Various bullet cams

V-Box lite (twin camera and GPS)

Sony HDR-AS15

So far... :)

It's a bit of a hobby of mine.

Some of my vids are here:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/260737-the-briskoda-drive-recorder-video-footage-thread/

Hobby????.........................more like obsession :D 

Seriously though, I'm also going to invest in one.

It's looking like there are 3 in the running:

Blackvue DR500GW-HD as you can adjust settings and view footage on smartphone

MI-Witness for the same reason  

Novus View-I Ruby as it's also full HD but has a 2nd camera to cover the internal of the vehicle, so you can check on your injuries etc.

I'm leaning strongly towards the Blackvue but some insurance companies insist on encrypted files if your using video evidence as part of your claim, and my insurers have advised me they need to contact the underwriters Tuesday.

Have to wait and see what they say.

I want to get it ASAP so we're protected by irrefutable evidence if someone causes a crash and we're involved.