In Car Cameras

SmartCamDirect

Martin

There isnt 'that much' space when you take the side panel off to locate the additional socket, there is loads of space under  steering wheel as i can just see behind it, then run the piggyback into fuse box. Although i suspect the piggy back fuse holder will be tight. 

Hopefully it will be nice over the weekend to have a serious go.- I MUST get the camera in as we had a coach dive out into lane 3  between me & car in front on the M25,today comming home from Liverpool( & was raining as well) it was sort of mirror, maneouver, signal,  & the video would have been useful to send to the coach company.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why you need to remove the panels Steve.

I wired the Backvue into the Superb like this:

DSC01428.jpg

As you can see there was enough room in the side panel to fit an additional cigarette lighter socket (so the OE Blackvue power cable plug straight in with no modification)

I intend doing the same when our Yeti arrives.

Martin

There isnt 'that much' space when you take the side panel off to locate the additional socket, there is loads of space under  steering wheel as i can just see behind it, then run the piggyback into fuse box. Although i suspect the piggy back fuse holder will be tight. 

Hopefully it will be nice over the weekend to have a serious go.- I MUST get the camera in as we had a coach dive out into lane 3  between me & car in front on the M25,today comming home from Liverpool( & was raining as well) it was sort of mirror, maneouver, signal,  & the video would have been useful to send to the coach company.

I did the above today with an additional socket and piggyback fuse.

Both fitted no probelm

Managed to eventually squeeze it in, & had a problem with the female adapter not locking the male part in securely, as it was the wiring taken out of the Fabia.( as per diagram).

They Yeti fuse location is tighter than the picture of the Superb, and the fuse cover  is very difficult to remove without damaging it.

It the adapter is now eventually secured with a cable tie ( took some fiddling to get the tie secured ).

I would like to now know how the rear is specifically cabled into the rear hatch,

I would like to now know how the rear is specifically cabled into the rear hatch,

What do you mean Steve?

Do you mean how it's all wired into the tailgate so no wires leave it?

Basically - Yes.

Is it another 12v adapter, or is the male bit chopped off ?

I remember you mentioned NOT to scotch lok into the rear wiper live, but as old age creeps on, i could not remember how you described tapping into it.

I am going to do this in parallel with Martin & do a 'How To' so it can be referred to for future.

I find the piggy-back thing a little strange, I have to admit. I used a spade connector into an empty switched live, with an in-line fuse holder: less than half the size.

This was run to a 4-port power socket in te glove-box. From there the camera power runs up the passenger a-pillar (along with the RVC power cable, DAB aerial and phone mic) and the phone power up and out through the top of the dash.

Mr rear DVR uses 1 cable to take video and power to the rear camera.

If you're running cables front to back, I would humbly submit using the top off a section of plastic trunking and go above the lining. I did this in the Scout, took about 15 mins in total........removed passenger visor and grab-handle, and rear trim around tail-gate. Fed the plastic above the lining (and well away from the air-bags), taped the cables to the end, and pulled back through.

When I did the rear camera on the hatch, I managed to squeeze the cable inside the rubber thingy between the body and the tailgate. I did notice there were blanks on the other side for another rubber thingy. So if you have those, that could be an option. (Sadly the estate didn't have those on the other side, so the wires are visible. :( )

Basically - Yes.

Is it another 12v adapter, or is the male bit chopped off ?

I remember you mentioned NOT to scotch lok into the rear wiper live, but as old age creeps on, i could not remember how you described tapping into it.

I am going to do this in parallel with Martin & do a 'How To' so it can be referred to for future.

I always cut the 12V ciggy things off.

If you really need a replacement they are around £5 adn I always wire them in like that so don't need it.

You can either jam the live wire into the plug or splice in some how.

I have cut the wire and used a bullet connector to rejoin,then used that to connect the drive recorder wire in.

Alex

In the Yeti, & my Fl Octy & SWMBO Fabia, any empty fuse slot is just an empty hole & cannot be used, so if you put any spade connection in it just fell out :D

I always cut the 12V ciggy things off.

If you really need a replacement they are around £5 adn I always wire them in like that so don't need it.

You can either jam the live wire into the plug or splice in some how.

I have cut the wire and used a bullet connector to rejoin,then used that to connect the drive recorder wire in.

Ta

I am very tempted to go with Scotch Lok as I know it cuts into the shielding, & can leave exposed wire on removal, but this can always be covered with electrical insulating tape.

Just so I am clear, you cut the live to the rear wiper & have 1 end of bullet with original wire pinched in, & other bullet end has original + camera wire pinched together, & the 2 bullet parts connected ?

Alex

In the Yeti, & my Fl Octy & SWMBO Fabia, any empty fuse slot is just an empty hole & cannot be used, so if you put any spade connection in it just fell out :D

Ouch. Bummer.

There is (was ) a spare in my fuse holders, I just slotted the piggybag holder in there and put 2 x 5amp fuses to throw power to it.

Camera starts with key and shuts down also when key is out.

• 3 weeks later...

The website and YouTube channel "techmoan" has a load of reviews of different cameras to suit almost any budget. My current favourite is one of the 0803 cameras. Includes GPS logging, 1080p and all around £60.

Can anyone advise me where the best place to attach the mount (other than to the windscreen!) on my vRS, as I can't seem to find an acceptable position, I've even considered putting it on the dashboard! 

• 4 weeks later...

after getting forced off the road on the Haydon bridge bypass yesterday im thinking i need one of these, can/do the police act on the video as evidence or is it just the insurance companies?

if there hadn't been a long line of traffic on the op side id have gone after that **** and thats where i got thinking i could have sent video to the police had i had some to send so the idiot could get what they deserve

on a plus note ive found out that the furbys abs works rather well, never needed it in 3 years till then

after getting forced off the road on the Haydon bridge bypass yesterday im thinking i need one of these, can/do the police act on the video as evidence or is it just the insurance companies?

if there hadn't been a long line of traffic on the op side id have gone after that **** and thats where i got thinking i could have sent video to the police had i had some to send so the idiot could get what they deserve

on a plus note ive found out that the furbys abs works rather well, never needed it in 3 years till then

Police and insurers use it, cops also can prosecute from it iirc
  • Like 1

We had some one force past us reversing down our road as we were coming round the corner  ( minor road to major road ) - took video off camera, reported to police they got full description  of car including plate & havent see the car or driver in our road since.

The reason I use them now a car overtook me and then went into an emergency brake right in front of me but lucky I took evasive action and get out of the way , since then I will not drive without one

Edited by seboni121
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

just bought a cheap one to play with, if its crap ill bin it and start again, although you never know, it could be good :)

http://www.banggood.com/1_5-Inch-HD-DVR-Dash-Cam-Camera-IR-LED-Night-Vision-Recorder-C600-p-918081.html

Personally I don't think HD, GPS etc is needed, just a half decent picture to backup any insurance narrative. The extra footage of people arsing around is just a bonus.

Police and insurers use it, cops also can prosecute from it iirc

This was asked in the "Rozzers" thread. Essentially they can't be bothered as it would require doing some actual work. They're only interested if there's a proper incident/accident that's been recorded, then they'll chew your arm off for the footage.

• Like 1

Quick Question about the IR LEDs on it - won't that cause a reflection on the windscreen?

I've not bought LED assisted infra red cameras on this basis - I might be wrong, but let me know if the quality is any better at night?

Quick Question about the IR LEDs on it - won't that cause a reflection on the windscreen?

I've not bought LED assisted infra red cameras on this basis - I might be wrong, but let me know if the quality is any better at night?

My cheapo has them, never used them, quality has been ok.......

Night Front:

Night Rear:

I've got one of these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-1080P-Dual-Lens-Car-Vehicle-DVR-Camera-Dashboard-Video-Recorder-Cam-G-sensor-/201106378951?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2ed2dfd0c7

...with a 32gb card, which records 9 hours of both cameras.