Going Electric... Richard's EV thread.

BossFox

Sent an email to Tesla EU about accessories, wanting rubber mats.

Sent 10pm on a Sunday... answer within 30 minutes!

Wowsers.

Wow they are as good as Skoda then!

...oh wait, sorry you said 30 minutes not 30 days lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Is the main screen in the middle if the dashboard glass?

The car looks brilliant by the way. Followed one on the M1 just before Christmas going towards Sheffield and couldn't believe how nice it looked.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Is the Sat Nav a portrait ratio as well as the screen? I don't understand why all Sat Navs are landscape in orientation when you really want it in portrait. I want to see where I am going and where the next turn off will be, I don't need to see somewhere 25 miles west of where I am heading :( :D

• Like 2

not that anyone cares ;) but I have been fortunate enough to have driven one of these, wow, when you put your foot down there is no lag, instant power, millions of smiles!

Love the info system, sat nav will direct you to a charging point if it feels you need it, and you can quick charge for free in some hilton hotels, amongst other places. Eurotunnel have a few charging spots now too if you fancy a euro trip. Strange how there is a void in the middle of the car where the gearbox should be - you can literally slip over from the passenger seat to the drivers seat! Great car, if my numbers come up i'll be knocking on their door!

Edited by muffty
  • Like 2

I have to say I'm in love with the whole concept. I knew about Teslas but didn't really think much more about them (still on the last year's century's belief that there's nothing good about EVs). That was until I spotted Richard's post on FB about picking one up.

Since then, I've had this OBSESSIVE passion finding out more about them and the more I read up / watch videos, the more I'm just amazed at how much a good package these things are. Elon Musk (CEO entrepreneur genius who has done many things like creating Paypal) is a genious and has a refreshingly wonderful ideas and making dreams become reality... The thought of using their "Supercharger" network for free for life charging your car super quickly is genious.

If you want to lose days watching videos about Teslas (not that Richard would now he has one!), take a look at Bjørn Nyland's YouTube channel. This guy is a legend and well deserved winning the new Model X as he's certainly Tesla's best marketing weapon by far!

I've convinced myself I am going to get one. Maybe not this year (my parking spot is too far from the house and I have no garage for charging at home) so I need to move home before getting the car. Damn, I guess that shows how mad I've become: want to move house for the sake of getting a new car! Having said that, there is the Reading Supercharger station 5 mintes' drive from my house! But when you look at the incenctives, putting this through my business where I can write it off eliminates a year's tax bill. I can also get the VAT back, etc. They're not cheap, but one thing for sure: they are next generation.

edit: saying genious too many times :think:

Edited by Xavier
  • Like 1

Not long till we get to see something more concrete from Faraday Future.

http://bgr.com/2015/12/31/faraday-future-tesla-killer-ces/

There was a fair bit of speculation about whether they were really Apple when they appeared, and while that's looking less likely it's not out of the question.

Interesting stuff, Alex :) Although I do think Tesla have a real head start. Having said that, after the "concept" Roadster, the Model S came out within a few years and litterally was/is light years ahead of anything else.

A proper competition in the market can't hurt either...

I'm really keen to see what the new Model 3 is going to be like. 2016 is going to be an exciting year for EVs

Is the main screen in the middle if the dashboard glass?

The car looks brilliant by the way. Followed one on the M1 just before Christmas going towards Sheffield and couldn't believe how nice it looked.

Thanks, it's a bit sensible looking but I have to say I've been really impressed by it.

Is the Sat Nav a portrait ratio as well as the screen? I don't understand why all Sat Navs are landscape in orientation when you really want it in portrait. I want to see where I am going and where the next turn off will be, I don't need to see somewhere 25 miles west of where I am heading :( :D

You can indeed go full screen on the map with portrait north up.

You also get a 3D N up map (running as a typical sat-nav) on one third of the instrument display to back up the google maps based system on the large touchscreen.

8ue94c.jpg

Excuse the poor quality pic, but old phone and car was moving.

• Like 2

Thanks Richard for that great comprehensive report. I was wondering how busy SC stations get and it sounds like you can have to queue at busy times.

I'll nip down to the one in Reading and see if anyone's there for a chat.

Still reading up about them and still convinced it's my next dream car. The thought of being able to tour around Europe at a virtually nil cost in terms of money and co2 really sounds appealing.

I'm waiting to hear back from probably the Heathrow branch to arrange a test drive.

Did you go for the ludicrous upgrade and does the newer model have a 12v socket in the boot for a coolbox?

Did you go for the ludicrous upgrade and does the newer model have a 12v socket in the boot for a coolbox?

No, to get the Ludicrous speed upgrade (£8,000) you have to first buy the Performance or "P" model to get Insane mode.

Which itself costs £15,000 over the "regular" one with the same size battery and spec.  And buying a faster one gives no more spec.  Just a quicker 0-60 and red brake calipers.

Mine is the 90D, 90 for 90kW and D for dual motor (4x4).

It does 0-60 in around 4 seconds. (Tesla quote 4.2).  With instant electric torque it feels quick enough as a 5 door daily for work and family.

To get the Ludicrous mode and a 0-60 of 2.8 seconds would have cost an additional £23,000.

I can't see the point really.  It's something you get to impress your mates then don't use it again IMO.  Which is exactly what I did with the launch control in my GT-R.  Used it 4 times in 18 months.

Instead I went for the 90D which with it's slightly smaller motors gets more range, the best of any Tesla at a quoted 350.  The P model in either Insane or Ludicrous form reduces that.

Then I spent a fair bit on options instead to make it a nicer car, stuff I can appreciate every day when driving into London in traffic like Auto Pilot, better seats, better interior, heated bits and bobs, panoramic sunroof etc...

I've not found a 12v socket in the boot yet, just one in the front.

There are a few things the Model S misses that normal cars have, like door bins and a centre console you can put stuff inside.

But then other things that are really cool normal cars don't get.

Like the ability to see it's +5.2c this morning in the car on my phone and have it up to +20c in about 3 minutes before I came out.

Edited by BossFox

Thanks, I forgot to re-read the thread and now see the point you make about getting the 90D instead of the P90D. And I agree, it's nice to have that ridiculous performance, but at £23k, it's not cheap!

Do you find stuff moves around the centre console storage area which I understand is quite large (in front of the ciggy / USB ports)? I think they put some rubber strips down, but have heard things still slide all over the place. And yeah, I realised there are no door storage bins... Glove box is only just about big enough for, well, a pair of gloves! But so much storage around the seats and in the boot and "frunk" must make it an ideal cruiser with luggage. I suppose performance with family isn't that much lower than driving solo as the car itself is over 2 tonnes so little relative difference with the extra people / luggage on board?

Utterly impractical point unless it affects resale, but I think you've chosen the best of the available colours (based on your photos and other examples I've seen). And yes, I'd go for less power and the range upgrade too.

• Like 1

Agreed, I'd go for the metallic blue or maybe the midnight grey.

Also, I think it's nice to know that Tesla guarantee to buy back the car at 50% value after three years on the base price. And it's something like 43% cost of the options on top. So should you buy the silly performance pack, you'd get just under half its worth back on resale should you sell it back to Tesla.

If I were to get the silly performance, I wouldn't bother with the 21" wheels nor spoiler. Can't see the point. Also, I think the 19" rims are the same for front and rear whereas the 21" have larger rears making tyre options limited and really expensive.

• Like 1

Do you find stuff moves around the centre console storage area which I understand is quite large (in front of the ciggy / USB ports)? I think they put some rubber strips down, but have heard things still slide all over the place. And yeah, I realised there are no door storage bins... Glove box is only just about big enough for, well, a pair of gloves! But so much storage around the seats and in the boot and "frunk" must make it an ideal cruiser with luggage. I suppose performance with family isn't that much lower than driving solo as the car itself is over 2 tonnes so little relative difference with the extra people / luggage on board?

Yes it does a bit.  The torque delivery is quite savage at low speed so it's easy to get stuff flying around the cabin if you want to.

Have tried it with three adults in and couldn't feel any different in performance at all.  But then like you say, it's a 2,200kg car...

Also, I think it's nice to know that Tesla guarantee to buy back the car at 50% value after three years on the base price. And it's something like 43% cost of the options on top. So should you buy the silly performance pack, you'd get just under half its worth back on resale should you sell it back to Tesla.

If I were to get the silly performance, I wouldn't bother with the 21" wheels nor spoiler. Can't see the point. Also, I think the 19" rims are the same for front and rear whereas the 21" have larger rears making tyre options limited and really expensive.

Yes that's right on the wheels.  If doing a longer trip 19" clearly better if you want to take a spare.

As I said before, I think they are an expensive choice considering they are many thousands more than the 19" rims and tyres you already paid for.  And wear tyres out faster.

Worth noting the 50% buy back deal is based on a finance package.

Max deposit is 40% and shortest term is 4 years.

If you do this you will pay a bit over £5,000 in interest on a car like mine.

So in the end I just bought it and have decided to take a bit of a chance on resale values...

Great car Richard. And thank you for using the launch control on the GT-R once on me!!!   :)

I still can't get over Tesla's American centric way of naming the twin engine a D for Diesel. Did they not not even bother to research this in Europe before doing such a daft thing!?!  T for Twin engine surely!?!? Which in Europe have also stood for Turbo (and extra speed) since the 70s.   :wall:

Reading about your trip is like night and day with your long distance "ordeal" in the Leaf. Gosh that didn't sound like fun one bit and I for one would NEVER attempt it in a Leaf. But the distances the Tesla covers makes it a no brainer to visit places further afield.

So your pre-order in for a Model X?

Edited by 900000