Citigo DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) - Help - Which Fuse?

G's Skoda

Hi All,

My Dad just picked up his fab new Citigo yesterday and I noticed it's DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) were activated.

He has no need for these to be on so we reverted to the handbook which state they can easily be disabled by removing the associated fuse (Fuse No.4) in the fuse box.

So we removed the fusebox cover and Fuse No.4 appears to be missing already - there's just a slot where it should be!!

This is assuming we're reading the fuse layout correctly. We're starting at the top row looking at the fuses and counting four in from the left.

Has anyone else encountered this or can anyone tell me which fuse we should be removing?

Even the ampage rating would help i.e 5, 7.5?

Any help would be greatly apprectiated,

Many thanks,

Grahame

He has no need for these to be on so we reverted to the handbook which state they can easily be disabled by removing the associated fuse (Fuse No.4) in the fuse box.

Have not done this myself, but the handbook lists bost fuse 4 and fuse 22 for the DRLs. Is there a fuse in slot 22?

Is it not law that new cars have to have the running lights on and working?

Would this not be an MOT failure (when it requires one)?

Thank you all very much for your replies

Maverick - I tried what you suggested but sadly it doesn't work on the new Citigo's. Many thanks for the suggestion though.

vgnils - I read your reply after returning from my fathers this morning so I'll have to wait until my next visit to see if Fuse No. 22 exists. Thank you for replying too.

Owens - It's not a legal requirement have to fitted DRLs switched on the the U.K. . . . . . . yet! It's purely optional although in numerous countries this is law and this is why many manufactures are selling them as standard/activated. But I believe it may only be a matter of time before it may become compulsory. Personally I view them as an unnecessary, athough small, burden on the battery.

I visited my local Skoda dealer this morning (not the one where the Citigo was purchased from) and was told that if I took the car into them or the dealership where it was purchased from they simply hook the car up to their computer where they can activate / de-activate any electrical system on the car e.g. Seat belt warning beeps, blown bulb alerts and yes, DRLs.

So I'll continue with the handbook theory for the moment and try removing fuse 22 next time assuming it's present and post the outcome. :happy:

I wonder where you stand with insurance if you have deactivated a safety feature that was standard from the factory?

I bet a good argument could be raised involving the line "if you had your DRLs on, maybe the other car would have seen you earlier..."

I have a dislike for DRL's as well.

The fusebox diagram in the handbook is usually for left hand drive, and thus mirrored for RHD.

They must be possible to disable, since at least one country that borders the EU has banned the use of DRL's, so any visiting car must have them disabled or face a large fine. They banned them as they saw an increase in accident rates when they trialled running with headlights always on, so now say no DRL's or headlights at all during daylight hours unless visibility is restricted.

The EU law as it stands now, simply says they must be fitted, and this only applies to brand new models currently being type approved, not that they must be working. Existing models (Octy MK2, Fabia MK2 etc.) are not even required to have them at all.

one country that borders the EU has banned the use of DRL's, so any visiting car must have them disabled or face a large fine. They banned them as they saw an increase in accident rates when they trialled running with headlights always on, so now say no DRL's or headlights at all during daylight hours unless visibility is restricted

Which country is that please?

In Norway it's mandatory to use either the DRLs or the low beam during daylight. If you don't have your lights on, oncoming traffic will instantly start flashing their headlights to notify you. And you can be fined ~220 GBP....

• Like 1

In Norway it's mandatory to use either the DRLs or the low beam during daylight. If you don't have your lights on, oncoming traffic will instantly start flashing their headlights to notify you. And you can be fined ~220 GBP....

Same thing here in Finland - keep those lights on! It really helps you to be seen. It doesn't bother you a bit and it doesn't bother others if you keep your lights (beam alignment) working as they should.

From personal experience i have found active DRL's to be a valuable safety feature.

There has been more than one occasion where someone was about to 'jump' out of a side road or from a roundabout, have had second thoughts after seeing the lights coming towards them.

Where other road users without them have had near misses etc.

My Dad just picked up his fab new Citigo yesterday and I noticed it's DRLs (Daytime Running Lights) were activated.

He has no need for these to be on

Just like tail lights, they are not fitted for your dads use, they are so he can be seen by others more easily.