1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

I would not get too complacent about Skoda UK making contributions to repairs. They did not for me.

In my case, needing a whole new engine, Skoda UK are making no contribution whatsoever because my dealer, Ridgeway Motors (Jewsons/Skoda Oxford), have reportedly informed them (and verbally told me) that the fault was due to poor servicing. The glaringly obvious technical inconsistencies in their story do not seem to trouble them although they may be concentrating too hard on trying to send letters (writing appears to be an onerous task for them - I have been waiting three months). My engine blew up on 4th November and to date they are still to commit to paper their frankly laughable position.

Skoda UK told me that if the servicing had all been done through the dealer network then they might have made a 10% contribution but it would also have required more 'brand loyalty'. Apparently buying a (defective) new car for £20,000 is not considered 'brand-loyal' enough.They were at least polite and followed up on communications - but zero real contribution - so be warned. Get a good extended warranty or better still buy a different make of car at a different dealer. You can guess which I will be doing.

Thats shocking , I'm not a fan of Ridgeway dealers myself but have you tried taking this up directly with Skoda? Since this is clearly a defective item there must be a merchantable quality angle here , the servicing outside of the dealer network shouldnt come into it

They have now heard the rattle and doing a "dis" report to Skoda. If they give the all clear at least I have done my bit and tried to mitigate any potential issues later on.

My car had the tensioner fail at ~48k, and it's now on 60k. Gotta say this thread make me very nervous indeed.  I'll probably cough up and pay for a new tensioner and maybe also the belt in ~10k miles...

Bit confused here, when you say my car, what  do you mean ?

Have you recently bought this VRS  that had this issue at 48K and has now done 60K or are you still considering buying it?

• Like 1

Bit confused here, when you say my car, what  do you mean ?

Have you recently bought this VRS  that had this issue at 48K and has now done 60K or are you still considering buying it?

I own the car now.  I bought it ~3 weeks ago and it is currently on 60'500 miles.  At 48k, the car had the tensioner fail (not when the engine was running) which required a new tensioner and inlet valves, as the part failed during engine start.

Understand now,

What would the chances be of a double failure on same car? (fingers crossed it never happens)

I've no idea.  As far as I know, there are no real preventative measures.  Unless I've misunderstood, the fault occurs when the piston in the tensioner doesn't move enough to tension the chain fully.  The piston cannot move until oil pressure is up, at whick point the chain is already moving...

I think I'm becoming paranoid as I've started to think mine sounds rattly (a bit like mObovs). waiting to see what they say about his and what response i get from SUK.

• Like 1

Sorry for the delay. My oct mk2 fl vrs 2010 only had 41k when the chain tensioner failed. Skoda uk fitted new engine on good will even tho it wasn't in warranty. They also went halves on the labour cost. Originally was asking me to pay £650 but in the end it cost me £324. I also had a crank rattle on cold start up. My engine was the ccza it states the engine code in your log book

Could you provide a few more details please? Do you still have warranty cover, Skoda dealer servicing etc?

Looks like I'm going to add my car to the growing list (

30k 59 plate DSG. Rattling chain for a few weeks, already been inspected by dealer and booked in for further work this wed! Started it up after leaving if for a few hours at work, horrid clunk. Got recovered very quickly and its with the dealers now. Obviously fearing the worst.

A couple of questions, does anyone have any experiance for the Skoda backed extended warranty covering this? How long did the work take and any issues to look out for?

Thanks.

I have had the complete rear transmission on my Octavia II 1.8TSI 4X4 replaced under the Skoda Approved Extended Warranty and Breakdown following rear diff failure, and also a front wheel bearing replaced, at no cost and with no hassle. If yours is that type of warranty, I would expect the repair - including a new engine if necessary - to be covered provided you have met the conditions of the warranty, ie prescribed servicing within the required timescale.

I think you need to talk to Car Care Plan about any warranty on the repair as they are paying for it, not you, I don't know what the answer is.

Looks like I'm going to add my car to the growing list (

30k 59 plate DSG. Rattling chain for a few weeks, already been inspected by dealer and booked in for further work this wed! Started it up after leaving if for a few hours at work, horrid clunk. Got recovered very quickly and its with the dealers now. Obviously fearing the worst.

A couple of questions, does anyone have any experiance for the Skoda backed extended warranty covering this? How long did the work take and any issues to look out for?

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that, but as you say, you were prepared for it and seem to be well covered.

Out of interest, what was the result of the inspection you had done, did you have to pay for it, and what was the further work they were going to do before the untimely demise.