1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

I have sent emails to both my service rep, and the sales rep at Skoda in Newport where I bought my car, to ask where I stand should mine fail, and of course directing them to this thread, again. Sadly neither have replied. 

It is a concern, i'd be fibbing if I said it wasnt.

I guess we are all looking for news to ease our minds a little

Now that i'm responsible for the buying of vehicles for our company, it certainly gives me something to think about...

Steve

Result, well done Sir. One thing I would do is find out what warranty the Engine has. All parts fitted, for which you make a contribution to the cost, if only a pound are covered for 2 years Parts and labour. You haven't actually made a contribution to the Engine, only the labour so is the engine covered for 2 years ?

Worth asking and getting it in writing

Just a thought..................

Result, well done Sir. One thing I would do is find out what warranty the Engine has. All parts fitted, for which you make a contribution to the cost, if only a pound are covered for 2 years Parts and labour. You haven't actually made a contribution to the Engine, only the labour so is the engine covered for 2 years ?

Worth asking and getting it in writing

Just a thought.................. Pay a pound towards the engine and get an invoice stating you have made a contribution to the engine

Bit of interesting information I just found out from Skoda regarding the 'new part' warranty for a replacement engine.

I was told by the dealer that I don't receive a 2 year warranty on the new engine part as it was covered under the warranty. After contacting Skoda head office about this today, I found that because I didn't make any contribution towards the repair, the warranty lies with 'Car Care Plan' (Skoda extended warranty company) who produced the replacement part. I do have a new part 2 year warranty for my new engine, but would have to contact the warranty company should i have any problems with it.

For any of you that come across the same problem, make a 1p contribution or something so you get it in writing!

I highlighted this a few posts ago.  You don't pay towards the engine you don't get a warranty........... ( after the cars warranty runs out or you buy a new warranty 

If a few members contact Watchdog then Skoda should finally admit there is a fault.

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised people haven't already started doing this, or at least writing en masse to the motoring press.

• Like 1

Where you getting this info from? Most modern engines burn oil to some extent. ..not a design fault. Not heard anything about manifold failures?

I was going to call this. Mine hasn't burnt any (and am sure there are others that do) but either way this isn't a design flaw, also IIRC the Tsi burn less than the older engines they replaced?

I don't see this as a major flaw? Certainly not in the same way as a tensioner failure. Link me to a dedicated thread with 24+ pages and I might start to think about it. But all you have done is link to a page where even the OP asserts that this is mostly seen on TDi engines. Definitely not 1.8/2.0 Tsi specific.

People will visit this thread to get a good idea of the reliability and potential pitfalls of this engine. Frivolously throwing around claims about other faults with this engine (which lets remember has seen less than 45 reported tensioner failures here) is just unacceptable scaremongering. If you want to get into a Flapper about every potential issue that might happen you would never buy any car, you probably wouldn't even buy a bicycle (what with the inherent design flaw that could result in a puncture)

• Like 2

I was going to call this. Mine hasn't burnt any (and am sure there are others that do) but either way this isn't a design flaw, also IIRC the Tsi burn less than the older engines they replaced?

I don't see this as a major flaw? Certainly not in the same way as a tensioner failure. Link me to a dedicated thread with 24+ pages and I might start to think about it. But all you have done is link to a page where even the OP asserts that this is mostly seen on TDi engines. Definitely not 1.8/2.0 Tsi specific.

People will visit this thread to get a good idea of the reliability and potential pitfalls of this engine. Frivolously throwing around claims about other faults with this engine (which lets remember has seen less than 45 reported tensioner failures here) is just unacceptable scaremongering. If you want to get into a Flapper about every potential issue that might happen you would never buy any car, you probably wouldn't even buy a bicycle (what with the inherent design flaw that could result in a puncture)

O...k.....so why did you ask me?

Because I thought you might be aware of a known issue and I would have been interested to know what it was. There are a huge number of very knowledgeable forum members that know a great deal more than me and I am always looking to learn more. Unfortunately in this case all we have learnt is that cars burn oil (some more than others) and that manifolds can break (though this is more likely in a diesel engine).

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised people haven't already started doing this, or at least writing en masse to the motoring press.

To achieve what exactly?  If skoda were refusing to accept liability and not funding warranty repairs, then i can see why you'd want to go to the press, but from my own experience and pretty much every post on here it looks like skoda fully fund anything where its still under warranty, and even where its out of warranty they are still paying a significant proportion as "goodwill"?

Dear watchdog

My engine failed under warranty and skoda funded it 100%.   Please can you help..  etc.

Dear watchdog

my engine failed out of warranty.  although skoda could have told me to sling my hook they in fact paid for the lions share of the fix, and although i had to pay towards the repair it it was a fraction of the total cost and i now have a brand new engine and ancillaries which themselves now have  an additional 2 year warranty.

?  

• Like 1

What about

Dear watchdog

My engine failed only just out of warranty and after only 30,000 miles, due a design fault on a part that should last the life of the car. Although Skoda contributed towards the cost of repair it still cost me £2000 when it shouldn't have cost me a penny, not to mention the stress and inconvenience.

• Like 3

What about

Dear watchdog

My engine failed only just out of warranty and after only 30,000 miles, due a design fault on a part that should last the life of the car. Although Skoda contributed towards the cost of repair it still cost me £2000 when it shouldn't have cost me a penny, not to mention the stress and inconvenience.

Ok, send that in and see what response you get.

I expect vag spokesperson response would be:  “v small number of failures, changed the design to stop it happening on newer cars, replaced all units foc under warranty, where out of warranty where we’re legally obliged to pay nothing we’ve actually paid out all valid claims and funded xx % of the bill” etc..

Maybe I look at it differently being ex-motor trade, but reading your post it looks like you feel the entire car should be under a lifetime warranty which is not commercially realistic?

Any complex machine is likely to break/require maintenance/repairs at some point.  The deal you signed up to when you bought the car was that for the first 3 yrs/60k miles you're covered - after that you're on your own.

:)

Ok, send that in and see what response you get.

I expect vag spokesperson response would be:  “v small number of failures, changed the design to stop it happening on newer cars, replaced all units foc under warranty, where out of warranty where we’re legally obliged to pay nothing we’ve actually paid out all valid claims and funded xx % of the bill” etc..

Maybe I look at it differently being ex-motor trade, but reading your post it looks like you feel the entire car should be under a lifetime warranty which is not commercially realistic?

Any complex machine is likely to break/require maintenance/repairs at some point.  The deal you signed up to when you bought the car was that for the first 3 yrs/60k miles you're covered - after that you're on your own.

:)

Of course it shouldn't have a lifetime warranty and I said nothing of the sort. I don't even drive a Skoda any more, and haven't experienced the failure so you're wrong to assume I signed up to anything. I'm also a former mechanic and still work in the trade, but I don't see why where we work is relevant. The fact is that these failures shouldn't happen anywhere near as early as they are doing, if ever. It's a design flaw which given the fact that VAG have had several attempts at resolving it they are clearly aware of. The initial warranty is for 60k miles and they are only lasting half that. Time is not a factor. It's getting to the stage now where the number of failures is significant and there will be many more that are never mentioned on this forum or any other. You can quote legal this and obligation that but VAG should be taking full responsibility for this, and paying in full for all failures up to 60k miles as per the original warranty. There should never be this number of engine failures at circa 30k miles, or even 60k for that matter.

Of course it shouldn't have a lifetime warranty and I said nothing of the sort. 

You said "it should last the life of the car".

You can quote legal this and obligation that but [/size]VAG should be taking full responsibility for this, and paying in full for all failures up to 60k miles as per the original warranty.

My understanding is that this is exactly what vag ARE doing? The only cases where owners have made a contribution is where the car is out of warranty. e.g mine was over 60k miles.

I'm slightly puzzled as why you're arguing if you don't have a skoda any more and you didn't have a failure..?

Anyway, to get back on topic - am i happy that my tensioner failed - of course not. Am i dissatisfied with the service from vag - nope, not at all.

I'm just puzzled, genuinely, as to why people seem to want to get their pitchforks out when as far as i can see vag is already doing the "right" thing - ie foc under warranty, big contribution if not.

• Like 1

You said "it should last the life of the car".

My understanding is that this is exactly what vag ARE doing? The only cases where owners have made a contribution is where the car is out of warranty. e.g mine was over 60k miles.

I'm slightly puzzled as why you're arguing if you don't have a skoda any more and you didn't have a failure..?

Anyway, to get back on topic - am i happy that my tensioner failed - of course not. Am i dissatisfied with the service from vag - nope, not at all.

I'm just puzzled, genuinely, as to why people seem to want to get their pitchforks out when as far as i can see vag is already doing the "right" thing - ie foc under warranty, big contribution if not.

Correct, it should be expected to last the life of the car. That's not the same as, it should be warranted for the life of the car. It should however be warranted (through good will or otherwise) for more than 30k miles, especially when failures are due to a known design flaw. And just because I no longer own a Skoda it doesn't mean I'm not entitled to an opinion on this subject any more. Skoda are not paying the full cost of repair in all cases, and in my opinion (and that of others) they should be, where the vehicle has only covered circa 30k like most of them have.

In your opinion, if a failure happens on 30k mile car that's only 4 years old, it's fine for that to cost the owner £2000 to fix. Well I and others don't agree. A car that's done 30k miles should not be needing a new engine or major engine rebuild. VAG's take on this is "we know we have a problem but tough, your warranty has expired so that will be 2 grand", and that's p1$$ poor. They should take FULL responsibly for their failings. 

I can only speak from personal experience, and my response from the dealer was "we know we have a problem but tough, your warranty has expired so that the total bill will be £6k of which we'll fund £5k will be 2 grand"

For a car out of warranty i think that's a pretty decent response tbh.

The new engine will have the latest tensioner which shouldn't fail, the latest timing chain which is less prone to stretching, and the latest pistons and rings which mean that the engine shouldn't become an oil burner. :)

• Like 1

So yet more scare mongering! So every tsi engine now burns loads of oil, has a broken manifold if it lasts long enough before the tensioner fails. I must have been lucky and got a good one with none of those issues! Yet again I will re iterate how many of these are in production, worldwide across the vag range, compared to the failure rate. Yes it is poor that such a component should fail but as rob_e has mentioned vag are being reasonable and not refusing to contribute. If you think the engine is a liability don't buy it or sell it if you already have! I loved mine but unfortunately had to change to diesel due to my mileage increasing....was finding it hard to justify the fuel costs over 25-30k miles per year.

To achieve what exactly?  If skoda were refusing to accept liability and not funding warranty repairs, then i can see why you'd want to go to the press, but from my own experience and pretty much every post on here it looks like skoda fully fund anything where its still under warranty, and even where its out of warranty they are still paying a significant proportion as "goodwill"?

Dear watchdog

My engine failed under warranty and skoda funded it 100%.   Please can you help..  etc.

Dear watchdog

my engine failed out of warranty.  although skoda could have told me to sling my hook they in fact paid for the lions share of the fix, and although i had to pay towards the repair it it was a fraction of the total cost and i now have a brand new engine and ancillaries which themselves now have  an additional 2 year warranty.

?  

Just saying I'm surprised that people AREN'T writing to Watchdog, nothing more.

No need to be a colossal pr1ck about it!!

Just read on a few more posts... you just sound bitter!

Edited by blackspaven
  • Like 1

There was a piece on radio4 yesterday about audi and problem 2.0 tfsi engines burning oil. Some were having to add a litre every 350 or so miles. In the US there is a class action under way, surprise surprise. A n expert said does not apply to all VAG 2.0 tfsi engines just audi. Thought you might like to know.

hope I'm not gate crashing on this thread.

I've also been a victim but my car is an Audi A3 8p 1.8T FSI 16v engine code CDA late 2009 but classed as a 2010 model.

it gave no noise warning but a slight misfire then engine light came on for 45 seconds then cleared but later when coming home it stuttered and once I switched the engine off

it refused to start.

looks like these things don't exist on Audi-sport.net or maybe they are too scared to voice up but I praise the courage of you guys on this forum for dedicating this thread