1.8TSI and 2.0TSI engine failures

DGW

Why would they not do so? If you extend the original manufacturer's warranty then it's the same level of cover. If the tensioner fails during the warranty period it would surely be repaired FOC?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I should add I've had an extended warranty on my first vrs octy, and half the air intake and complete throttle body was replaced on a car that was 6 years old at 65k miles

Hang on, an inherent fault is a manufacturing defect. How does that not get coveted by warranty? It's the definition of in service failures. Unless you mean adding a warranty after the original has expired....

I covered it in my post last year, I had my claim rejected for the above reason, I had it in writing, then Skoda suddenly paid in full! Even Skoda confirmed to me its a design fault but they look at it on a case by case basis. However the warranty company (Car care or, now VW) will not tell you what is on their inherent list. Its down to the consumer to check this at the point of purchase. I went over this with the FSO, Skoda, blar blar...

This just happened to my car over the weekend... Car didn't start right (extra second or so to turn over) but seemed to drive ok next time I started it the engine light came on. Check with an ODBII reader and got error P0016, car still sounded ok (luckly me) took it into the garage next day and after some investigation told me the chain had stretched. Checked it over and doesn't seem to be any other damage been told the compression checks all come back ok. Skoda are covering the replacement chain and associated part, no cost to me.

Car was purchases new 2011 Jan so just under 5 years old (49k miles, full dealer service history), think I dogged a bullet there..  :sweat:  

Chris.

Edited by chrisgu

I covered it in my post last year, I had my claim rejected for the above reason, I had it in writing, then Skoda suddenly paid in full! Even Skoda confirmed to me its a design fault but they look at it on a case by case basis. However the warranty company (Car care or, now VW) will not tell you what is on their inherent list. Its down to the consumer to check this at the point of purchase. I went over this with the FSO, Skoda, blar blar...

So it's not the original manufacturer's ie the skoda warranty? Tbh I'd not touch any independent warranty company, especially one promoted by that chav quentin Wilson. The whole point of the OE warranty is that does cover inherent design flaws.

So it's not the original manufacturer's ie the skoda warranty? Tbh I'd not touch any independent warranty company, especially one promoted by that chav quentin Wilson. The whole point of the OE warranty is that does cover inherent design flaws.

Its was the skoda branded warranty even the latest extended warranty backed by vw does not cover inherent faults! Edited by m0bov

Were you trying to get them to replace the tensioner before it had broken? Sorry I've not read through every page..... If the tensioner had a known fault, but not subject to a recall then of course they would not replace it, only if it broke.

No, I had a failure, I had already had the car inspected with a rattle. It went bang and I needed a replacement engine, that's when they tried to pull the inherent excuse! The dealer even tried to claim I had driven it after being told not too. But strangley they could'nt find the signed paperwork...funny that.

A letter from a solicitor would have got their attention. I've never head such crap from a car maker before, given how they screw down their suppliers over warranty terms.

One for the financial/insurance ombudsman then

The warranty rep said they are not regulated by them. In the end the FO did review it and couldnt offer anything. I felt the terms were unfair.

Think there was 1 car which had the failure at 2,500 miles! Independents will be cheaper but if you get it done from a Skoda garage you would have a 2 year warranty with so, so would have some peace of mind.

I sold my car for this reason as i didn't want to spend around £800-£1000 fitting the new parts as there are still a few failures and the fact i shouldn't have to as it shouldn't fail anyway! There was nothing wrong with my car but i just didn't want to risk it failing and it was the perfect excuse to say to the wife to get a new car :)

I have just done exactly the same. My VRS was 4 and a half years old with only 43,000 on the clock and there was nothing wrong with it. I spoke to the main dealer a couple of times and they wanted a lot of money to change the tensioner etc. I really think that they are missing a trick and shooting themselves in the foot. If they had offered to do it at a reasonable price then I would have gone ahead and had it done. They would have still made a small profit from me in doing the work and also I would have gone back for further work, services etc in the future. I have now traded my car in for a BMW X5 and the chances are that my VRS will now be maintained outside of the Skoda main dealer network - so they are probably going to lose out.

I was sad to see my VRS go, however I was not prepared for the car to hit 5 years old and then have to require a new engine and Skoda give me the middle finger. At the end of the day their attitude is very poor and short sighted customer service.

Same here, we just chopped in SWMBOs 2009 1.8 TSI with only 37k on the clock. Aside from the ticking tensioner time bomb, it was suffering symptoms of carbon build up which would have needed the inlet manifold removal/cleaning op to resolve so we are now the proud owners of a 2013 Leon 180TSI FR with DSG7 and it goes like stink!! :rofl:

• Like 1

So, if skoda repairs the tensioner, and declines to pay for the repair under warranty, then what is the point of the warranty of the new part? I am still staggered that they have tried to divest their responsibility for repairing parts that are defective by design.

If its done under warranty you still get 2 yrs warranty on the work, I got this confirmed.

I've just got my car back after the timing chain kit was changed, asked the same question and all parts are cover by 2 year warranty. My car was 4 years 11months old and was cover by SUK.